News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

valve train issues and misplaced rockers

Started by johnnyshaner, September 09, 2007, 10:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyshaner

I'm not very familar with Mopar engines so please bear with me.

Okay, I've got a 68 Charger with a 1973 440, 727 trans, and 3.54 gearing. The engine was supposably a recent build when I bought the car. No idea of internals, but it feels fairly strong. After the engine warms up, I've got a valve train noise when the engine is loaded.  Before it warms up, no noise. Had a little bit of a clicking noise in the engine when I had the old 2.93 or whatever in the rear but now it's pretty loud because the engine is spinning faster. Thought it was detonation, but timing appears to be fine, it's getting enough fuel, and it's running fairly cool. I'm assuming I can't adjust the valve adjustment, because I've got what appears to be the stock stamped rockers (non-adjustable). Is this true?

The other thing; I've had the valvecovers off several times and I've just noticed that the rockers on the driver side are installed as follows. LR, RL, LL, RR. Imagine my dismay. Haven't checked the passenger's side yet. I'm assuming this is probably the cause of the noise problem because of oiling issues? The left rocker arms are stamped T310+. What does this mean? Finally, should I just rearrange the rockers in their proper location, or should I replace them with new ones? I'm seriously considering the 440 source aluminum heads (when they come out) so I want a set of rockers that would work with them as well. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

aifilaw

stamped new rockers are around $90 for a full set, I'd just replace them all and adjust them.
If your going to get the edelbrocks just wait until then and get it all as one package.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads