News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Intake gasket question

Started by 69chargerR/T, September 07, 2007, 08:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargerR/T

Saw the post on intake gasket install mistake, I'm going to install fel-pro 1215 intake gasket on my 440, the gasket set comes with the paper gaskets. The question I have is do you guys out there use these gaskets, when I put my eddy rpm on I used the paper gaskets. I think eddy said to,also I've heard you should use them with an aluminum intake, is this true :shruggy: I'm changing the gasket because when I put my intake on I didn't use a gasket with the heat block off :brickwall: Also there must be a reason why they include these paper gaskets :shruggy: What do you guys think???

Thanks, Alan

PS: I also have an old style eddy torker 440 manifold that was on my car when I got it, I took off and put the eddy rpm on because I thought   it would be better for a street car. I didn't really notice much if any difference :shruggy: I'm thinking of putting the torker back on, what do you guys think of these two manifolds. Right now I'm running an mp 484 cam I heard that the mp cams like a single plane manifold I also run a 750dp carb, hopefully soon I will be changing this cam, I think with a lunati voodoo 60303 will this cam work good with the torker manifold?? I would like to hear what you guys think on this. thanks

aifilaw

I've not used a purchasable intake gasket on a mopar BB in my life....Pamela serves my needs in this area.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

firefighter3931

Alan, the paper gaskets are often needed to compensate for head milling/block decking/thicker head gaskets etc... As long as the intake manifold bolts line up you are fine. Some engines need them...some don't.  :yesnod:

The old Torker is an excellent street manifold and unlike most single plane intakes it makes very good low end power. The tall, narrow runner design makes it a descent "mild build" intake manifold. The RPM is pretty close to the Torker so on a mild build i wouldn't expect there to be much difference between the two. The RPM will make more power up top due to the increased plenum volume but the difference would be minimal.

Member Vegas Mike has the old torker on his solid cammed 440 with Edelbrock heads and it runs fantastic. His motor made 520+ hp on the dyno with the Torker and Race Demon carb. Ya, it still works good despite the "old school" design.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69chargerR/T

Quote from: firefighter3931 on September 07, 2007, 10:34:48 PM
Alan, the paper gaskets are often needed to compensate for head milling/block decking/thicker head gaskets etc... As long as the intake manifold bolts line up you are fine. Some engines need them...some don't.  :yesnod:

The old Torker is an excellent street manifold and unlike most single plane intakes it makes very good low end power. The tall, narrow runner design makes it a descent "mild build" intake manifold. The RPM is pretty close to the Torker so on a mild build i wouldn't expect there to be much difference between the two. The RPM will make more power up top due to the increased plenum volume but the difference would be minimal.

Member Vegas Mike has the old torker on his solid cammed 440 with Edelbrock heads and it runs fantastic. His motor made 520+ hp on the dyno with the Torker and Race Demon carb. Ya, it still works good despite the "old school" design.  :2thumbs:

Ron

Thanks Ron, If I don't use the paper gaskets do you use any type of sealer around the intake ports :shruggy: I know that fel-pro use to give you a tube of brush tack to put on the intake ports, they don't give you this tube anymore should I put something on the intake ports or install the gasket dry :shruggy:

Thanks, Alan

firefighter3931

Quote from: 69chargerR/T on September 08, 2007, 09:55:17 AM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on September 07, 2007, 10:34:48 PM

Ron

Thanks Ron, If I don't use the paper gaskets do you use any type of sealer around the intake ports :shruggy: I know that fel-pro use to give you a tube of brush tack to put on the intake ports, they don't give you this tube anymore should I put something on the intake ports or install the gasket dry :shruggy:

Thanks, Alan

Alan,

I like to use a skim coat of ultra copper high temp RTV around the ports and on the end rails of the bathtub gasket & a little dab in the corners of the end rails. I use it on both sides of the gasket and let it set up for a few hours then tighten down the manifold bolts. This has allways worked well for me.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs