News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

new gas tank

Started by charger2fast4u, September 08, 2007, 11:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger2fast4u

i need a new gas tank and sending unit for my 68 charger  what are some good places i can get one at who's the cheapest and puts out quality products

Steve P.

Many places sell them both, but I bought mine through Ebay and got it about 45 bucks cheaper than anyone advertised.  Make sure you replace the rubber too.

Also, know what size sending unit you want before you buy one. Many times guys buy a 5/16 and come on here later asking if they should go to the 3/8ths now that they are going to build a monster motor..

:Twocents:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

charger2fast4u

if i am going to build my engine should i get a 3/8 sending unit so i don't have to replace it down the road i looked on ebay for gas tanks but wasn't sure how good the quality would be how was the quality on your's does it hold up good anyplace they went cheap on it at are you talking about the rubber between the gas tank and sending unit if so is that included with the sending unit or is it separate

Steve P.

Quote from: charger2fast4u on September 09, 2007, 12:52:42 PM
if i am going to build my engine should i get a 3/8 sending unit so i don't have to replace it down the road i looked on ebay for gas tanks but wasn't sure how good the quality would be how was the quality on your's does it hold up good anyplace they went cheap on it at are you talking about the rubber between the gas tank and sending unit if so is that included with the sending unit or is it separate

I would go to the 3/8 sending unit if your planning to build it.

I don't think that many places are actually making this tank. Mostly all I saw was a difference in how many people were handling the part and how many hands were looking for their piece of the pie. The tank I bought is nice. I bought it from Frank Katz in Millersville, Md. His phone number is 410-923-2425 

Your NEW sending unit SHOULD come with a new seal.

You will also need a NEW filler tube to tank seal.  Ask Frank about that too.

As far as the tank pad goes I don't want to sway you one way or the other. It's up in the air. The debate is long and old. Some like the stock pad. (ME).. Some use nothing.  Some use 30 pound felt paper.

Good luck...... :cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

charger2fast4u

yea my gas tank i have in now when i bought the car it had a cardboard box folded flat as a gas tank pad what do you mean by gas tank to filler tube seal do you's paint your new gas tank or leave it how it is and how much does a stock gas tank pad weigh if anyone knows i'd like to know thanks

Steve P.

Quote from: charger2fast4u on September 09, 2007, 05:12:22 PM
yea my gas tank i have in now when i bought the car it had a cardboard box folded flat as a gas tank pad what do you mean by gas tank to filler tube seal do you's paint your new gas tank or leave it how it is and how much does a stock gas tank pad weigh if anyone knows i'd like to know thanks

The cardboard is no good as it will hold moisture and CAUSE rust. Get rid of it.

The filler neck seal is a rubber seal that is inserted into the tank and then the filler neck slides inside of it creating a liquid seal. It is needed...

Some paint the gas tank, others don't. I never have. I think you will need special prep. and paint for it, but I am not sure. That's a question for the paint and body guys...

No idea what the factory pad weighs. Not more than a few pounds though..   :shruggy:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

keepat

I pick up my new tank From Quanta www.quantaproducts.com they are the manufacturer and they have all the other parts to go with the tank! They also sell 1/2 S/S fuel  pick-ups. I painted the bottom of my tank with a satin clear coat and ruberized under-coat on the top. Installed with the pad.
Pat

69Charger_440

Not to hi-jack your thread, but you may want to look at this site.  Has anyone bought from them?  Any positive or negative comments?

http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/category/parts.charger_satellite.gas_tanks/

charger2fast4u

keepat did you use the under coating that comes in a spray can that web site car parts discount i havent heard of them before but looks like a good place to get things from but i'd do some searching just to make sure they are a good quality company

keepat

Yes, just spray can under-coat.

charger2fast4u

BrianShaughnessy

I got mine from that Mustangs Unlimited link off ebay a few years ago.    It's the same Quanta tank that everybody else is selling... just cheaper.

I sprayed mine with SEM clear rock chip paint from a spray can after cleaning it.    I hung it using REM stainless straps.

Eastwood also makes a Tank Tone paint if that's what you prefer.      I'm not into the undercoat deal.   I paid for the thing,  I want to see it.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

RD

i bought mine from vansautosalvage on ebay, i think they are cheaper then mustangs unlimited.  of course, i bought mine for a 68 satellite, some differences.  good quality though, exact fit and stamping as OEM.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

charger2fast4u

the tank from mustangs unlimited is more expensive then the other link i think ill go with the one from dlvoigt i have the tank tone metallic coating already. i have a question i bought a fuel tank pad from Yearone i got it and it's like a foam material this will hold moisture wouldn't it?  anyone else get that pad from them should i use it?

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: RD on October 10, 2007, 02:49:48 PM
i bought mine from vansautosalvage on ebay, i think they are cheaper then mustangs unlimited.  of course, i bought mine for a 68 satellite, some differences.  good quality though, exact fit and stamping as OEM.
:iagree:

I got the same to my 74... paid around $55 including shipping. Still waiting in Miami to be shipped to me
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Steve P.

Quote from: RD on October 10, 2007, 02:49:48 PM

Me too... Also got my new sending unit there... 
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida