News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Drive shaft length

Started by troy.70R/T, September 08, 2007, 07:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy.70R/T

I have a 70 charger 440 4 speed. my question is this. I have a drive shaft for an automatic. are the yoke splines the same an auto and 4 speed? Also what is the length of the drive shaft and at what points do measure it If I can find one or have to have one made. Also do they use the same u-joints? Thanks for any help.

Ghoste

The splines may or may not give you a problem, you wil have to try them and see.  The driveshaft will be okay if the automatic car it came out of was a Dana (assuming of course, your's is an original four speed car with Dana intact).  The u-joints should be the same but it depends on what you have for a rearend and what the automatic car was equipped with for engine and rearend.  Again, provided your car is a factory 440 four speed and the Dana is still there, you are looking at a driveshaft length of just under 51 inches.  It is measured from center to center of the driveshaft yokes.  The automatic one you have is likely going to be just over 52 inches long (I'm guessing it was hooked to an 8.75 rearend).
So the answer to your question is maybe.

troy.70R/T

Thankyou I think I will be ok then, Troy

cody9902

yeah  ive got a 70 r/t as well. it is an original 4 speed car and when i bought it, it had an auto in it. i put the original 4 speed back in and the driveshaft fit in perfectly fine.... hope all works out with yours