News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel Prices= Lost Job

Started by NHCharger, September 25, 2005, 06:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHCharger

For those who don't know me I'm a nail monkey (Builder/carpenter).
Two months ago I priced out a 40x60 garage for a friend. Told him I couldn't guarantee the price more than 30 days. So he calls 2 weeks ago and said build it. I re-priced the costs and this is what I find.
Excavation cost up 10%
Concrete up 9%
Plywood up 10-20%
framing lumber up 6%
electrician  up 10%
Sheetrocker up 15%
Insulators up 8%
Plus the lumber yards are now adding a delivery charge to help pay for the fuel.
I charge 15% over my cost as a general contractor, since I couldn't eat this increase I give him the good news. He told me he couldn't afford any more since he's buying a new truck :flame: a Ford.
Since I refused to eat the increase he said he'd find someone else.
What really burns me is as I was watching CNN today they reported that the oil companies are making .99 cents per gallon of gas, versus .33cents/gallon last year. 
Whoever said the price of gas can easily be absorbed by us should get a real job.
OK sorry, rant off.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Plumcrazy

It's going to get worse before it gets any better. :icon_smile_sad:

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

MoparYoungGun

Sorry to hear that but sadly, Plumcrazy is right.

TeeWJay426

That sucks Brian.... but then again, he IS buying a new Phurd, so one would have to question his priorities from the start..... unfortunately, like Plum said, a lot of priorities will be rearranged by the screwing we're getting at the hands of the oil companies. My Ram rarely leaves the driveway anymore unless I have need to use a truck. Can't wait to see what heating season brings as well. :down:
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

Badbob

I actually was able to cram $40 worth of regular gas into my slant 6 Duster, Last time I filled it up it was $25. Can't imagine having to drive a full size pickup, the $25 k car is now my regular commuter. The 12 second Coronet may finish rusting out.

:icon_smile_blackeye:

Silver R/T

so what we can do about it? so kick some corporates that drive jaguars on wall street?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TruckDriver

Quote from: TeeWJay426 on September 25, 2005, 07:17:51 PM
Can't wait to see what heating season brings as well. :down:

There saying heating bills will be up 41% to 71% here in Wisconsin this winter. Which means it will cost me twice as much to heat my place then I pay for rent.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Brock Samson

bull

Sorry about your job loss. I just hope things get back on track to some degree. Now that all these undeveloped countries are catching up there will be no less demand for fuel so I wouldn't expect things to get much better. Hopefully wages will catch up soon or there will be a lot of problems.

Since I've been ranting so much about oil companies lately I won't go off on how they are making 3 times more on fuel this year than last. Although I would love to. >:(

RD

feel for you Brian, hope everything gets better!  :icon_smile_big:

on a side note.  I have a 500 gal. propane tank at my house in the country.  I am currently sitting at 30% full.  The propane guy will be here tomorrow to fill it up.  He estimated $378.00 to get it full.  Oh that will last me about 3 months when winter hits.  I am thinking by January I will have to fill up again (estimation $450-$500).  argghhh.  I wish my fireplace wasnt inoperable!  Where are those damn kerosene heaters I grew up with at now?  You know, before they said the carbon monoxide could kill ya! :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Charger Aficionado

wow, sorry for the $$$$ loss man!  Hope those corporate executives wake-up and get FAIR with the public!

Afflyer

Sorry to hear about your job loss Brian.  I know the cost of living in NH and VT is very high.

A pat on the back from me.

Bradley  ;)
Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

Lowprofile

Quote from: NHCharger on September 25, 2005, 06:51:50 PM
For those who don't know me I'm a nail monkey (Builder/carpenter).
Two months ago I priced out a 40x60 garage for a friend. Told him I couldn't guarantee the price more than 30 days. So he calls 2 weeks ago and said build it. I re-priced the costs and this is what I find.
Excavation cost up 10%
Concrete up 9%
Plywood up 10-20%
framing lumber up 6%
electrician up 10%
Sheetrocker up 15%
Insulators up 8%

Well, being the King of stating the obvious, [Thats what my old lady always says!] and one of the only Truck Drivers on the Board, those increases are directly related to transportation costs. All trucking companies are tacking on surcharges of up to .25 cents a mile extra to cover costs. Also, unknown to the public, many distributors, brokers, and even retail companies are adding on xtra charges disguised as "shipping costs" to boost profits and backdoor the public. Do I have any "links" or proof on paper of this.....no. But I've been doing this for more than half my life.....and I've seen it happen. And its happening to all of us.
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

NHCharger

I guess you could call this "Real World Economics 101".
I still have work. As a contractor I get nervous if I don't have 6 months of work lined up, especially with winter coming. I was offered a job last week with a large builder. Seems all the young kids who are becoming carpenters are doing so because they failed to make the grade working at McDonald's. He's having a hard time finding carpenters who can read blueprints, nevermind show up for work sober.
LowPro, I know what your saying. I checked my Quicken books. Last year at this time I had spent $3,704.16 for gas. To date this year. $ 4,810.10. And one job I had was a large addition only 3 miles from my house, so I'm driving less miles this year.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

nh_mopar_fan

That sucks, Brian.

I couldn't even get contractors to return my phone calls when I was looking to build my 3-bay garage. Given the level of new construction that is still going on in the area though, I'd say you're doing better than many others as far as job security...

Good Luck.

Silver R/T

construction industry does pretty well in eastern WA right now, lots of CA people are moving here too
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Nupe

Sucks because there is nothing we can do.   The other part that stinks are the companies who will claim the increase in fuel costa affects them when it doesn't really, but they jack prices anyway.

Can't wait to see my natural gas heating bill skyrocket.   ::) Guess I'll invest in a couple new quilts now...     :rotz: Get really tired of people saying "well in this part of the world gas is $10 a gallon."   I'm sure those people didn't have the price hikes this fast.   Anyone have a room for rent someplace warmer and without the highest taxes??   :icon_smile_dead:

Sorry for the rant, but it sure is nice to vent!

'79 Lil'Red Express.

ChargerBill

Is it true that they are making 3X's the amount of profit that they were just a year ago? Is this info accurate? I mean, I'm all for free enterprise, but that sounds like price gouging accross the board. Can anyone give a link with real and accurate info?
Life is a highway...

NHCharger

Bill, I heard it with my own two ears. The reporter said "Speaking of gas guzzlers, the oil companies are guzzling profits right now", and proceeded to give the figures. The reporter then mentioned the the oil companies claim they are spending a lot more money on refining costs or some other BS excuse. Maybe there is some link on the cnn website. All I know is that the majority of us are taking it in the shorts. All the experts keep saying we can absorb the price gouge I mean price hike, but people start spending $100- $300 more per month for gas the long term effect will be shown when people start pulling in their purse strings when it's time to buy xmas presents.
Wal-Mart's already complaining about a 4.1% drop in sales. apparently the welfare people can't afford the gas to go buy their junk food and video games.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Ponch ®

Quote from: DodgeChargerGuy on September 25, 2005, 08:54:42 PM
Quote from: TeeWJay426 on September 25, 2005, 07:17:51 PM
Can't wait to see what heating season brings as well. :down:

There saying heating bills will be up 41% to 71% here in Wisconsin this winter. Which means it will cost me twice as much to heat my place then I pay for rent.

Better invest on some parkas and blankets.

I need to buy some long sleeve shirts for the upcoming California winter. I heard it might hit low 60's this year.  ;D
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

SeattleCharger

Its a total scam, the oil companies are making 300 percent more per gallon profit now?   That is the problem.   What other company in the US can triple its profit on its product in one year.  Only the oil companies, that pisses me off.   

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Troy

Quote from: ChargerBill on September 26, 2005, 04:58:35 PM
Is it true that they are making 3X's the amount of profit that they were just a year ago? Is this info accurate? I mean, I'm all for free enterprise, but that sounds like price gouging accross the board. Can anyone give a link with real and accurate info?

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on September 26, 2005, 07:10:56 PM
Its a total scam, the oil companies are making 300 percent more per gallon profit now?   That is the problem.   What other company in the US can triple its profit on its product in one year.  Only the oil companies, that pisses me off.   

We just went over this. Whoever said oil companies were making 3X more profit can't multiply... <cough>Bull</cough> :D
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,2849.0.html
Read the second post and you'll see that the evil Exxon made all of 1.3X earnings from last year. That's from the actual financial reports too - not some newsperson's perspective. Imagine, a product is in higher demand and the company makes more money. That's crazy I tell you! NHCharger, WalMart may claim that gas prices are affecting sales but, by checking the financials once again, it looks like a convenient excuse. It hasn't impacted them as much as they want the media to think.

Where's the $5-6 gas we were supposed to have this week?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Vainglory, Esq.

Sorry to hear you didn't get that job.  Here's some good projections though, from the "Money" section of USA Today (I know, I'm embarrassed to be reading that rag, but it was all they had today):  The article is entitled "Higher gas prices expected to dip by Nov. or Dec." and the main points are as follows.

Average gas prices only went up 2 cents because of Rita, much better than expected.
Ligh sweet crude dropped by $1.13 for November delivery to $63.10
Many refineries that are still closed from Katrina and preparations for Rita will be reopening within "the next couple of weeks" meaning that prices will stay at this level for a few weeks then begin to fall by November.
Analysts don't expect gas to return to $3+ per gallon like it did after Katrina, as demand elasticity was kicking in (consumer resistance)
At the moment, and for the next week or two, availability problems due to damaged and closed gas stations and facilities in the path of Rita will also help keep the prices level.  Once that part of the country gets back on its feet, availability will be spread better.

So anyway, there's light at the end of the tunnel.  Hope you can find another job to take this one's place - like someone who isn't buying a Ford! :P

bull

Quote from: Troy on September 26, 2005, 07:32:56 PM

Its a total scam, the oil companies are making 300 percent more per gallon profit now? ?  ?That is the problem. ?  ?What other company in the US can triple its profit on its product in one year. ? Only the oil companies, that pisses me off. ?  ?

We just went over this. Whoever said oil companies were making 3X more profit can't multiply... <cough>Bull</cough> :D
Read the second post and you'll see that the evil Exxon made all of 1.3X earnings from last year. That's from the actual financial reports too - not some newsperson's perspective. Imagine, a product is in higher demand and the company makes more money. That's crazy I tell you! NHCharger, WalMart may claim that gas prices are affecting sales but, by checking the financials once again, it looks like a convenient excuse. It hasn't impacted them as much as they want the media to think.

Troy

Now here's an interesting turn of events. I'm being goaded into an argument through personal attacks on my intelligence by the guy who locked a similar thread two days ago due to personal attacks. ??? You even linked the locked thread!

I can hardly wait for your response to find out how this is my fault. :icon_smile_blackeye:

derailed

Quote from: NHCharger on September 26, 2005, 06:24:00 PM

Wal-Mart's already complaining about a 4.1% drop in sales. apparently the welfare people can't afford the gas to go buy their junk food and video games.

Probably alot of there own employees

Troy

Quote from: bull on September 27, 2005, 02:42:39 AM
Quote from: Troy on September 26, 2005, 07:32:56 PM

Troy

Now here's an interesting turn of events. I'm being goaded into an argument through personal attacks on my intelligence by the guy who locked a similar thread two days ago due to personal attacks. ??? You even linked the locked thread!

I can hardly wait for your response to find out how this is my fault. :icon_smile_blackeye:

Who blamed you for anything?
1. That thread isn't locked nor has it been locked in the past. You got the last word and, apparently, no one felt like wasting time by responding.
2. If pointing out facts and inaccuracies is a "personal attack" then there are larger issues to be concerned about. I did post a big smiley right next to the part about not being able to multiply. If in fact you check the math it is fairly obvious that the numbers aren't what you previously stated (even using the numbers you thought were correct based on what you heard - not researched). I linked the thread because I didn't feel like typing it all over again and one would think that a person involved in the conversation would actually remember it and not state incorrect information. See where I'm coming from?
3. The thread that I actually locked (but didn't link) went way beyond normal debate and if you don't see the difference then it may be a good time to take a step back and review. For reference, this would be a personal attack:
"Basically, I find you clueless and annoying and I've grown tired of trying to penetrate your Kevlar-coated noggin with the facts of life, so I'll stop trying."
Or this:
"Your life experience wouldn't fill a shot glass either."

Bill did ask for a link to back up your claims but I haven't seen anything yet. SeattleChargerDog also quoted your figures but you didn't validate those either. I could post 10 or 20 links with correct information but instead I posted a link to a conversation that you were involved in which pretty much answers what people were asking.

Troy

bull

My mistake, I confused the two threads when I said you linked it, but the essence of what I said regarding insults is still valid. After your vigorous responses to my previous posts on gas prices I have a hard time believing you didn't mean to get your digs in a little. Right? ;) If you want to call me an idiot, Troy, just do it. I don't mind, really. Putting a :D next to a comments doesn't nullify them, it just offers a little 'insulation' from the vague honesty.

Anyway, I can multiply just fine. I helped create two daughters. :D <------ see, a smiley!

Also, reams of analytical financial data doesn't make me feel any better about $3/gal. gas.

Troy

Ok, if I thought you were an idiot I would say so (and I might even try to be nice about it). :P Yes, that was my way of pointing out that you did actually know the numbers but chose to state something else as a fact. So, it was a dig in a way but in a friendly manner and not a you-are-a-complete-moron-even-though-I-have-no-factual-proof manner. I can't stand my car insurance rates but, unfortunately, I can't claim that they are making ten times more profit than they actually are and still be taken seriously by most people.

My multiplication:
2 daughters = 1 mildly insane father... when they reach their teens! ;) My friend has 4 (FOUR). I feel sorry for him since he's outnumbered 5 to 1 and he'll have teenage daughters for almost 15 years of his life...  :brickwall: :image_294343: :slap: On the other hand, he almost has half of a softball team, most of a basketball team, or even two beach volleyball teams so he can put his coaching skills to good use.

Troy

ChargerBill

THAT is why I asked the question...it seems hard to believe that they could be making 3X's the profit while per barrel costs are at an all time high ($64 last I saw yesterday). It doesn't figure if you do the simple math. In fact, the ONLY information I will believe is a complete breakdown of actual costs starting with per barrel all the way to pump and all the steps between. Does anyone know how many gallons of refined fuel can be made per barrel? I'm more into figuring these type of things out with hard numbers and mathematical equations, not conjecture and heresay. I'm not saying that any one particualr individual or source of info is wrong or right (because I REALLY don't know), but I'd rather have hard facts before I start pointing fingers.

Bull, dude...you seem to be more aggitated than usual. In fact, you don't sound like the Bull I know. The Bull I know was more light hearted, cynnical and sarcastic but in a non threatening way. I understand your frustrations, and I share some of them, but bud...you need to lighten up just a bit. If you want to talk please IM me.

BTW Car insurance is the biggest boondoggle of them all (actually the insurance industry as a whole). Those companies are making profits far above and beyond what is typically considered fair by most any other industry. The payout ratio is so negligible it isn't worth calculating. Do you think these companies will willingly and freely pay all these hurricane victims without resistance or looking to the fed for aid...think again. Ultimatley you and I will cover the costs...even though the insurance industry has raped the populus for BILLIONS in profits over the last few years alone.
Life is a highway...

Ponch ®

Quote from: ChargerBill on September 27, 2005, 02:41:39 PM

Bull, dude...you seem to be more aggitated than usual. In fact, you don't sound like the Bull I know. The Bull I know was more light hearted, cynnical and sarcastic but in a non threatening way. I understand your frustrations, and I share some of them, but bud...you need to lighten up just a bit. If you want to talk please IM me.

...you know youre in trouble when Bill is telling you to calm down.... ;D
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

ChargerBill

Quote from: Mojo Classic ® on September 27, 2005, 02:50:51 PM
...you know youre in trouble when Bill is telling you to calm down.... ;D

:lolexplode: LOL...you just couldn't resist....
Life is a highway...