News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger bought on Ebay from McGahey

Started by zerfetzen, September 08, 2007, 05:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The70RT

Quote from: no318 on October 13, 2007, 07:41:37 AM
  The only thing left is the title, and he says maybe next week. 

NO TITLE YET!  Man don't put anymore $$$ into that one yet.  He still has legal ownership.

Possesion is 9 tenths of the law....and 100% if you have a gun!
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Brock Samson

i curious what's the latest?.. git yur title?..
did runninhorn ever git up there?..
    :lol:
sorry..

dpm68

Looks like you have your hands full - good luck dealing with them and keep us posted.

hemi-hampton

Yeah, What happened, Any updated status? :shruggy: LEON.

Goodz

My only advice is to NEVER send money Western Union or anything like that unless you know the person and NEVER send money to a P.O. Box.  You cant trust them.  If you arent comfortable giving out your address to someone to sell them a product, your product is probably crap.  Just my opinion.  I hate scammers!
"If there are two ways to interpret something I said, and one of them offends you, I meant the other one."

Troy

Quote from: Goodz on April 27, 2008, 10:21:50 AM
My only advice is to NEVER send money Western Union or anything like that unless you know the person and NEVER send money to a P.O. Box.  You cant trust them.  If you arent comfortable giving out your address to someone to sell them a product, your product is probably crap.  Just my opinion.  I hate scammers!
A note of caution about that... out in the country, they may not have street addresses. I used to work in the mail order business and we primarily shipped UPS but were forced to ship by mail to many rural areas. Even if they had a physical address for UPS, mail (invoices, letters, bills, etc.) *had to* go to the PO Box though. Sometimes you can't get around it. In a city/metro area things are different of course.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Goodz

Quote from: Troy on April 27, 2008, 11:02:31 AM
Quote from: Goodz on April 27, 2008, 10:21:50 AM
A note of caution about that... out in the country, they may not have street addresses. I used to work in the mail order business and we primarily shipped UPS but were forced to ship by mail to many rural areas. Even if they had a physical address for UPS, mail (invoices, letters, bills, etc.) *had to* go to the PO Box though. Sometimes you can't get around it. In a city/metro area things are different of course.

Troy

Fair enough, but I personally wont do that again.  Shipping TO a P.O.Box is one thing, but if you are buying something over the internet, and they only have a P.O.Box to send money to, then find another way to pay them (i.e. Paypal or something like it) so you have proof of purchase and some sort of insurance against a scam.
"If there are two ways to interpret something I said, and one of them offends you, I meant the other one."

zerfetzen

Thanks for checking in guys.  He never did send the title, of course.  I asked several times.  My last tactic was I told him if I don't have it in a week, then it's small claims court.  He assured me it's on its way, and it never showed.

Around that time, I called a police officer over to my place to check the VIN and see if it is stolen.  He said it was clean.

I let several months go by while I was working on it, thinking there's no rush in getting the title, because I won't be able to register it until it runs and drives anyway, but about a month ago I contacted Broadway Titles, and am in the middle of getting it that way now.  I got a note from Broadway in the mail, saying I should have it by June 3rd.

I love the car, and no matter what happens, it's not going anywhere.  In the last six months or so, I've:

stripped it down to a shell, complete disassembly, k-frame's out, every nut and bolt (except the rear axle, shocks, and leaf springs)
have scraped off all undercoating (except there's some left in the driver's rear wheel well, but I'll get there)
wire brushed most of the car down to bare metal
with the metal rough, have coated most of the car with POR-15 (and it is adhering well)
have done some welding repairs, but have many little ones to go, but it's in amazingly good shape

So that's where I am, all focused on body work at the moment.  I'm going pretty slowly now, I need to jumpstart myself because I'm not a body guy, but more into mechanicals.  After it's all POR-15'ed, primered, and painted, finally, I get to do the mechanical stuff.

What do you guys think, would you have approached it differently?  Thanks.
Current Daily Driver: 2006 Dodge Charger RT
Current Project: 1969 Dodge Charger
Previous Cars I want back: 1974 Barracuda, 1973 Cuda

Goodz

Personally, I would have done the mechanical first because I would be afraid of ruining the paintjob after its done, but that's just me.  Others might want all the parts out so you can get into the tough spots and the paintjob looks better.  I guess it all depends on preference.

chargerkid01

I'm sorry I know you don'y want a onesided story but they are bad news!!! Just serarch anything about chargersgonewild on here and you will see

The70RT

Quote from: zerfetzen on April 28, 2008, 05:54:55 AM
Thanks for checking in guys.  He never did send the title, of course.  I asked several times.  My last tactic was I told him if I don't have it in a week, then it's small claims court.  He assured me it's on its way, and it never showed.

Around that time, I called a police officer over to my place to check the VIN and see if it is stolen.  He said it was clean.

I let several months go by while I was working on it, thinking there's no rush in getting the title, because I won't be able to register it until it runs and drives anyway, but about a month ago I contacted Broadway Titles, and am in the middle of getting it that way now.  I got a note from Broadway in the mail, saying I should have it by June 3rd.

I love the car, and no matter what happens, it's not going anywhere.  In the last six months or so, I've:

stripped it down to a shell, complete disassembly, k-frame's out, every nut and bolt (except the rear axle, shocks, and leaf springs)
have scraped off all undercoating (except there's some left in the driver's rear wheel well, but I'll get there)
wire brushed most of the car down to bare metal
with the metal rough, have coated most of the car with POR-15 (and it is adhering well)
have done some welding repairs, but have many little ones to go, but it's in amazingly good shape

So that's where I am, all focused on body work at the moment.  I'm going pretty slowly now, I need to jumpstart myself because I'm not a body guy, but more into mechanicals.  After it's all POR-15'ed, primered, and painted, finally, I get to do the mechanical stuff.

What do you guys think, would you have approached it differently?  Thanks.

I never hear of anyone putting por-15 on the outside of the body  :shruggy:

zerfetzen

Hi The70RT,
I know it's not very common, but I know it's been done.  The main concern is whether or not it will adhere to bare metal.  My limited experience is that if the metal is nice, it won't adhere, but if it's been roughed up a little, it adheres just fine.  Other than that, it needs to be sanded lightly later, so primer will adhere to it.  The reason I'm going that route, is I like the peace of mind that it won't rust in the future, period.  But that's my  :Twocents:

BB1

Delete my profile

zerfetzen

More than I should have I suppose.  $5,500.  But keep in mind that I got very, very lucky.  It is essentially rust-free. I'm just going extreme with POR-15 for peace of mind.  I really wanted one that was originally a manual.

darkfiire5000

Me too that punk tried to screw me out of getting a hood for $400 bucks but i got my money back but still the hood would have been nice to have :'(

chargerkid01

hey darkfiire5000 I have an extra hood.

The Kid

Quote from: zerfetzen on April 28, 2008, 05:08:27 PM
Hi The70RT,
I know it's not very common, but I know it's been done.  The main concern is whether or not it will adhere to bare metal.  My limited experience is that if the metal is nice, it won't adhere, but if it's been roughed up a little, it adheres just fine.  Other than that, it needs to be sanded lightly later, so primer will adhere to it.  The reason I'm going that route, is I like the peace of mind that it won't rust in the future, period.  But that's my  :Twocents:
I think they have a metal prep that is suppose to allow POR-15 to be applied to any surface. It gently etches the metal allowing for the POR-15 to anchor to it.

The70RT

I put some eastwood rust encapulator on my riding lawn mower hood just to see what would happen. It had surface rust on it and Ii didn't do nothing to the surface and already and a year later the rust is coming back through. It sits outside uncovered. Why would you put rust encapulator or por-15 on the body if it never had rust? That is what primer and paint is for. I don't think many if any would recomend this process? A properly prepaired surface doesn't need anything but primer & paint anyway  :Twocents:

moparmusclecars

I wouldn't use por-15 on the outside surfaces. If the rust in any area is that bad, then it needs to be cut out and replaced. It works good underneath, on frames, and in the trunk area. I've used it a lot as I own a body shop. Doesn't work good on cleaner metal. Basically, they want you to clean up the metal from dirt or mud and apply it. Not by stripping or grinding. It is made to etch itself to rougher metals and it changes the rust to a black zinc oxide, if I remember correctly. They make a primer you are suppose to use in conjuction with the por-15 if you intened to paint over it. Its a blue colored primer used just like the por. It takes paint where por by itself won't hold it. After using the blue primer, then use a product like PPG dp-40 epoxy primer over that followed by paint of your choosing. Hope this helps someone.

bill440rt

Quote from: moparmusclecars on April 29, 2008, 09:56:20 AM
I wouldn't use por-15 on the outside surfaces. If the rust in any area is that bad, then it needs to be cut out and replaced. It works good underneath, on frames, and in the trunk area. I've used it a lot as I own a body shop. Doesn't work good on cleaner metal. Basically, they want you to clean up the metal from dirt or mud and apply it. Not by stripping or grinding. It is made to etch itself to rougher metals and it changes the rust to a black zinc oxide, if I remember correctly. They make a primer you are suppose to use in conjuction with the por-15 if you intened to paint over it. Its a blue colored primer used just like the por. It takes paint where por by itself won't hold it. After using the blue primer, then use a product like PPG dp-40 epoxy primer over that followed by paint of your choosing. Hope this helps someone.

Not to get off topic of this original thread, but I wouldn't use POR-15 on ANY outside exterior surface, either. It's great for inside frames, floors, etc.

However, POR-15 does NOT convert rust. It bonds to rust thru a chemical reaction. Check out their tech sheets on their website: http://www.por15.com/faq.asp

Also, their primer that goes over POR-15 is actually gray in color. I've used their Self-Etching primer as well, it adhered very well to POR-15 & allows you to spray your topcoat directly over their primer.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

zerfetzen

Compared with other rust products that I've tried in the past, I think POR-15 is a great way to deal with, and especially prevent, rust.  I don't think there's anything special about whether it's inside or outside on the car, but the important issues are whether or not it adheres to the metal, and whether or not primer adheres to it.  POR-15 certainly doesn't bond well to clean, non-rusted metal that is smooth.  It obviously bonds well to rusted metal, but my experience is that it bonds well to non-rusted metal that has been roughed up.  I think somewhere on their website, they say that primer doesn't stick well to POR-15 because it is so shiny-smooth and hard, unless it is either sanded (again roughed up a little), or you can use a special primer product of theirs, which still doesn't stick well under some certain condition, but I forget what that is at the moment.

So after I apply it to metal that is clean but rough, I give it a long time to dry, probably a lot longer than necessary. When water contacts POR-15, it tightens up, so I go over it with a wet cloth.  Then, I'll sand it, and generally test it to see if I can get it to come up easily or not.  So far, I've had good luck.  If the method works, and I've heard it working for others though it is expensive, then hopefully I won't ever see a rust-bubble under the paint.

wizkid

good to hear that you got your stuff from him, but its a shame that he never sent the title, scammers like him should "accidentally" fall into a wood chipper  :smilielol:

zerfetzen

Hey hey, look at that, I just got my title paperwork in the mail from Broadway, a month early.  It has a notarized bill of sale and registration from the state of Alabama attached to a letter of title law.  Tomorrow I've already taken a half day to go to the local P.D. and apply for my pistol permit, so I'll swing by the DMV afterwards and try to register my Charger as a non-moving vehicle.  Woo-hoo!  I'm jazzed.  :2thumbs:

Brock Samson

:scratchchin: it's a good good thing the title came in thew mail before you got the pistol permit...  :yesnod:

" But honest your honor, it was self defense"!  :shruggy: