News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is a summit brand converter any good?

Started by High Impact, September 10, 2007, 06:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Impact

I pulled the tranny on my 69 Bee last nite and am replacing it with a another rebuilt one as the last one only made it 150 miles before it started acting up.  I had bought a PTC 2800-3000 stall for it and during those 150 miles of driving......I basically didnt like the way the converter acted and am use to a tighter acting one.  I have a nice built 383 ( k56 engle cam, 10.5 compression, ported & polished 906 heads,RPM intake,750 Holley)  and a summit brand stall which there ad says" 1600-2000 "  stall and wondered if this would work alright. :shruggy:

jg68

Quote from: High Impact on September 10, 2007, 06:46:30 AM
I pulled the tranny on my 69 Bee last nite and am replacing it with a another rebuilt one as the last one only made it 150 miles before it started acting up.  I had bought a PTC 2800-3000 stall for it and during those 150 miles of driving......I basically didnt like the way the converter acted and am use to a tighter acting one.  I have a nice built 383 ( k56 engle cam, 10.5 compression, ported & polished 906 heads,RPM intake,750 Holley)  and a summit brand stall which there ad says" 1600-2000 "  stall and wondered if this would work alright. :shruggy:

If your tranny was heading south already, i wouldn't be looking at a new converter, i've run 2 PTCs & loved them, i just sent PTC a TCI 10" i purchased to have it checked, they revamped it to 3200 flash stall, you most likely have a good converter with the PTC, it was just the tranny giving you problems (slipping) & you are assumeing the converter is'nt right, i would install the PTC in the new tranny first, before blameing any problems on it, that 28-3000 should be MORE then streetable, what is your gearing?
BTW, i would flush the junk out of that converter before putting it back in or send it back to PTC & let them flush it :2thumbs:

High Impact

I've got a Dana 60 with a 3.54 gear. 
The tranny problem was that when you first fired the car up  and threw it in reverse it would take a minute or so before it would want to move......or you could rev the snot out of it and it would just creep.  But once it was warm it was fine.  This is the first car I've ever owned with a stall converter and Im sure Im just not use to it,   but it seems like its not "tight" enough??????   :icon_smile_question:   Let's just say its not like your normal everyday driver......when you are cruising about 40mph and put the pedal about half way down,  it just dont pull like a normal car would..........it pulls......but not real firm.    Do you understand what Im trying to say????????? :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy:

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: High Impact on September 10, 2007, 05:12:40 PM
Let's just say its not like your normal everyday driver......when you are cruising about 40mph and put the pedal about half way down,  it just dont pull like a normal car would..........it pulls......but not real firm.    Do you understand what Im trying to say????????? :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy:

You mean is acting like is not completelly geared, like tranny is sliping and there is not complete coupling between engine and tranny.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

High Impact

[You mean is acting like is not completelly geared, like tranny is sliping and there is not complete coupling between engine and tranny.

Yeah,  I guess that's kinda what I mean.......it just dont act like a stock converter and I guess that's what Im use too.

jg68

Quote from: High Impact on September 10, 2007, 06:35:46 PM
[You mean is acting like is not completelly geared, like tranny is sliping and there is not complete coupling between engine and tranny.

Yeah,  I guess that's kinda what I mean.......it just dont act like a stock converter and I guess that's what Im use too.

Either way, i feel you were having tranny issues & it was slipping, even if it was a little, the first area that will be affected is the converter, so don't jump the gun & get rid of a decent unit "PTC" & replace it with a so-so one with less stall, you won't be happy IMO, flush the PTC out & try it again, then MAKE SURE the tranny is full of fluid, you want to check it warm in N not Park, a converter (especially a higher stall) with a quart low on fluid will make it do all kinds of wierd things :cheers:

Nacho-RT74

that was what I was worried trying to get a higher stall torque converter!!!!! that was exactly what got me scared
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Runner

Quote from: High Impact on September 10, 2007, 05:12:40 PM

The tranny problem was that when you first fired the car up  and threw it in reverse it would take a minute or so before it would want to move......or you could rev the snot out of it and it would just creep.  But once it was warm it was fine. 

thats a converter drain back issue,  start the car, put it in nuetral for a couple seconds and it will be fine.  its nothing to worry about as long as everything else is working fiine. its pretty common in mopars even with freshly rebiult tannys

what you describe about the converter is pretty typical of a higher stall converter, especally with a gear like a 3.54s.   if you had a higher (numerical) gear ratio like 4.10s it would be les noticable.   does the car pull  better from a stop than before?

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

GreenMachine

The drainback thing is supposedly a problem with the valve body. I've had that on more than a few cars. The last time I had a 727 rebuilt the guy showed me a printout of a "fix" for that problem, so I had him do it (I think it consisted of plugging something in the valve body or drilling an extra hole somewhere). Anyway, when I got it back, it still did the same thing. What I do now is when I fire it up for the first time of the day, I'll immediatly throw it in neutral and wait for the engine oil PSI to level out and by that time the tranny's ready to go.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

High Impact

Yeah,  my tranny guy said it was a problem with the valve body.   Arlen Vanke told me that the newer Dodge trucks had  a similar problem and that I was suppose to put an  "ANTI DRAIN BACK HOSE" on the tranny line and that should fix the problem but I never inquired about such a item.   I guess I'll try the PTC converter again and see what happens.  I only drove it 150 miles since I got it done so maybe Im just not use to it yet.

Runner

when you drive it like you stole it does it feel better than the stock converter?.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six