News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

website

Started by Rolling_Thunder, September 06, 2007, 01:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolling_Thunder

looking for constructive criticism on my website...     it is simple (for a reason) with just some information and a couple pictures...    what do ya'll think ?

www.iconengineeringinc.com

Keep in mind I am 21 and have never done a website before - if you have any tips feel free to let me know
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Khyron

Clean, simple, and you fought the urge to use frames. good job  :2thumbs:

I did a site for a friends garage, actually the guys that painted my car. I incoporated a photoalbum into the site. You may want to look into doing that if your host allows you to have a SQL database.

http://www.teamvintage.net

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Charger74

Looks pretty good so far.

Orange_Crush

I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

ramit

I like it!  I like the fact that it is very simple and it isn't too "busy" looking.

chargerman68

good job with it looks great

now u justy need to pm me some pricing for my 68 charger
1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

Troy

Overall it is a very nice and clean design. I like it. There are a few things that I would fix...

On the home page:
"ICON Engineering has multiple restorations under our belt and our work speaks for itself, that itself. That is why our cars have won numerous awards. Our technicians are ASE certified so you, the customer, knows know your car is in caring and capable hands. We at ICON Engineering love working on these cars and will work hand in hand with owners to help them make decisions and plan the entire build."

You also have some weirdness in the HTML (multiple font tags) before the last two sentences: "What are you waiting for? Give us a call and tell us what we can do for you." It wouldn't hurt to list the phone number there as well so the user doesn't have to go looking for it. You may want to add the contact information - at least some basic stuff - at the bottom of the page where the copyright information is. This is a business site. Your goal is to make it easy for people to spend their money. ;)

It is one of my pet peeves to put "Under Construction" pages on a site - with the possible exception that you are renovating an existing site and user expect to see those pages. I'd remove the links for Awards, Testimonials, and Magazines until you have content on those pages. Another major pet peeve of mine is navigation on the right or bottom of the page. It's not intuitive for the user AND it disappears when viewed with a small(er) screen.

On the "View the Cars" and "Staff" pages your subheadings are larger than your page titles. The page title on the "Testimonials" page is left aligned instead of centered and it is black instead of red on the "Events" page. There are descriptions but no pictures for many of the cars listed in the "View the Cars" section. Also, "Chevrolet" is spelled incorrectly in the title for the 66 Chevelle. You may also want to indent the car page titles in the places where they show up in the menu.

On the "Contact Us" page you may want to modify this sentence: "Please Call to make an Appointment to View Our Shop". It's always a good idea to avoid choppy sentence fragments - especially when you have all that white space to fill up. I'd probably remove the capitals from the words within the sentence as well. I didn't proofread most of it but I can later if you'd like. One of the best ways to present a professional image is to go through all the marketing material with an eye towards proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. It's the same reason you dress up for an interview - first impressions and all that.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Brock Samson

Hey Troy,  :wave:  you shold do that for all the posts.. here...  :smilielol:

70charger_boy

Quote from: Brock Samson on September 06, 2007, 09:40:18 PM
Hey Troy,  :wave:  you shold do that for all the posts.. here...  :smilielol:

WTFRU talking about, Willis?   :smilielol:

Anyway I agree with Troy.  There are a few Grammar and punctuation issues. 

last426

Quote from: Troy on September 06, 2007, 01:14:01 PM
Our technicians are ASE certified so you, the customer, knows know your car is in caring and capable hands.
Troy

Since "customer" is singular, then I think it was correctly written as "knows".  Actually, what I would do is make customer plural.  But, what do I know?  The site looks fine. Kim

RD

Quote from: last426 on September 06, 2007, 10:46:18 PM
Our technicians are ASE certified so you, the customer, knows know your car is in caring and capable hands.
Troy

Since "customer" is singular, then I think it was correctly written as "knows".  Actually, what I would do is make customer plural.  But, what do I know?  The site looks fine. Kim

troy is correct.  personally, i would remove "the customer" from it altogether.  If the person sent the car to you for you to fix, they should know already that they are the customer.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

last426

Quote from: RD on September 06, 2007, 11:02:30 PM
Quote from: last426 on September 06, 2007, 10:46:18 PM
Troy

troy is correct.  personally, i would remove "the customer" from it altogether.  If the person sent the car to you for you to fix, they should know already that they are the customer.

The customer know your car is in capable hands?  I'm not too sure but that just doesn't sound right but whatever. Kim

Brock Samson

:scratchchin:

"You the customer will know your car is in capable hands"           

Troy

I was using this reasoning: the base of the sentence is "you know your car is in caring and capable hands". I don't see "the customer" as a required part - more as a modifier for the subject "you". I agree that "knows" would be correct when discussing "the customer" *IF* the sentence never said "you". However, why would "the customer" care that "your car is in caring and capable hands" unless "the customer" happens to also be "you". Either way, it's not a very smoothly flowing sentence. I could be completely wrong of course. ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Brock Samson

oh boy...

"The customer will know their car is in capable hands"?..  :shruggy:

seems concise enuff to me.. we used to argue these things all day long around the newspaper's copy desk...
  brevity was usually the deciding factor.

or how about?..

"Customers will know their cars are in culpable hands"?..  :D

PocketThunder

Quote from: Brock Samson on September 07, 2007, 10:46:09 AM
oh boy...

"The customer will know their car is in capable hands"?..  :shruggy:

seems concise enuff to me.. we used to argue these things all day long around the newspaper's copy desk...

and then look what happened... you got the axe!!   :rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:   :slap:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Brock Samson

Editors just love to edit,..
   When i was starting out many years ago a good friend and writer let me in on a little tip, when one's writing has to pass through an editors mitts, allways have a "gorilla", purposely have at least one paragraph or sentence or two or some grammatical and/or punctuation errors that the editor can chop out or change, because if you don't, the editor/s will end up messing up your perfectly good copy just to exercise their power...

hemi68charger

Although I haven't read every page, the format looks good.. Good job on the linking and picture placement.........
Ask your boss if he wants to trade his v-code 'bird for a j-code Charger.....  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Rolling_Thunder

He loves that car...          He said he will never sell it - unless it is necessary to pay for his kid's schooling   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip