News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bulge hood for third gen Chargers

Started by hotrod98, September 25, 2005, 11:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

it wasnt a recommendation, i was just wondering what exactly he asked them about.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

hotrod98

We're being realistic. The tooling to build a hood runs over $100,000. You do the math. Even with a 25% margin, they will need to sell 1,000 hoods before they break even and start to make money. The only way this is going to happen is if there is one hood and one hood only. No company in their right mind is going to offer three styles of hoods. When you factor in the four different year model grille designs, now your're talking about 12 hoods or so.
If you ask a classroom of kids where they want to go on a field trip and they never agree on a destination, the field trip either gets cancelled or the teacher decides where they're going. Get it?
As for the valances, they are so simple that any body man worth a damn can alter them. There are still a lot of standard ones out there. I've seen four used ones around here locally in the last two days.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

73dodge

I would buy a new buldge hood. But since they are not making some of the other stuff i.e. Rear quarters for 2nd gen chargers, hoods for cudas and any type of front fender for any MOPAR. I doubt that making a new buldge hood would be a consideration. I think that they would look at making High margin stuff for the cheapest costs. I would think stamping a rear quarter would be the cheapest from a manufacturing stand point because it's just sheet metal. But they aint making too many of them for MOPARS. Front fenders are way too complex and they would be astronomical in price because of the complexity in making them. I would think hoods would be that same because it's not a one piece deal it's 2 pieces the hood sheet metal and the sub-frame and then they would have to weld them together. So they would have to buy tooling for each and then manufacture them.

Rear quarters are just one stamping and send them out the door. The design cost is lower than a hood or front fender and they would recoup their investment quicker.

My  :Twocents:

Now if someone with unlimited fund decides to engineer a replacement front fender for MOPARS I would think that they would make a killing and recoup their developement costs quickly.  they would sell millions of them because MOPARS are notoriuos for rotting out the front fenders and just about every MOPAR out there needs or could use new ones.
Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!

hotrod98

Uhhhhhhhh, Goodmark makes mopar fenders.
Hoods are child's play for these guys. It's where they got their start.

Charles Addams

dayclona

Quote from: 73dodge on September 27, 2005, 04:58:05 PM
I think that they would look at making High margin stuff for the cheapest costs. I would think stamping a rear quarter would be the cheapest from a manufacturing stand point because it's just sheet metal.
Rear quarters are just one stamping and send them out the door. The design cost is lower than a hood or front fender and they would recoup their investment quicker.

My   :Twocents:

let's pretend your a repro "manufacturer", you want to make a rear qtr. ; the tooling manufacturer, after a long and  expensive, drawn out consultation, quotes you $250.000 dollars for initial tooling! (this is todays cost to repro a rear qtr.) are you still interested!....................so the dear Santa ", what I want for Christmas" letters fall on deaf ears, why? because the parts repo'd, are selected based on one thing, profit!, plain and simple............................only a small hand full of manufacturers will repro those " obscure parts", usally to satisfy their own personal needs!................do you think Goodmark will consider making hoods for 1960 Dodge Darts, ............NO!..............you don't see those at swapmeets!..........unless 1000 people were to prepay an order, this is the only way to show a manufacturer, the need to repro a part of this ex$pence!.................so if you want power bulge hoods for chargers!............better put some checks in those "Dear Santa" letters!.............or better yet just "bite the bullet" and go out and buy a used power bulge/air grabber hood, there's  plenty of them, out there!..........................don't want used, buy NOS................they can be had too!....................everybody wants top quality parts at Walmart prices!......who cares what hardships the manufacturer incurs, as long as they make "what I want, and it's cheap"....but they better not make junk! I don't want junk!..............yep! this is the thinking, of joe average, the uninformed consumer!............step into a manufacturers "shoes", add employees to the li$t, add transportation co$t,add $torage/warehousing, general overhead co$t, etc,etc,etc,.............IT takes$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to take your$$$ ,one at a time! :rotz:

hotrod98

Who would want a hood for a 60 dart though. :icon_smile_cool:
It's a matter of comparing values. I din't mind paying $5000 for my shaker hood for my 71 cuda, but I'm not willing to pay $1000 for a bulge hood for a third gen charger(unless it was perfect and included shipping). The car just isn't worth that much to me. I own 13 mopars and I really didn't need the 74 charger.
I would like to stick one of my six pack 440's in it and drive the hell out of it, but with that long flat hood it's kind of ugly as hell. I guess I've gotten kind of used to looking out over that shaker.
The last nice air grabber setup that I saw was at the nats three years ago for $2700. Everyone keeps telling me that the bulge hoods are everywhere, but I truly haven't seen one at a single swap meet in the last three years. That's how long it's been since I attended the nats. Where are they?
Heck, If I had an air grabber setup, I would add the daytona wing and nose just to make the car interesting. I would even trade the air grabber setup off of my 69 runner straight across for a 71 charger air grabber setup. Any takers...and no the 69 setup is not for sale. If they're everywhere and not that expensive then someone should be willing to trade. :icon_smile_big:
Anyone want to buy a rust free california '74 charger hardtop car?

Charles Addams

twilt

Quote from: dayclona on September 27, 2005, 10:47:42 PM
My  :Twocents:

let's pretend your a repro "manufacturer", you want to make a rear qtr. ; the tooling manufacturer, after a long and  expensive, drawn out consultation, quotes you $250.000 dollars for initial tooling! (this is todays cost to repro a rear qtr.) are you still interested!....................so the dear Santa ", what I want for Christmas" letters fall on deaf ears, why? because the parts repo'd, are selected based on one thing, profit!, plain and simple............................only a small hand full of manufacturers will repro those " obscure parts", usally to satisfy their own personal needs!................do you think Goodmark will consider making hoods for 1960 Dodge Darts, ............NO!..............you don't see those at swapmeets!..........unless 1000 people were to prepay an order, this is the only way to show a manufacturer, the need to repro a part of this ex$pence!.................so if you want power bulge hoods for chargers!............better put some checks in those "Dear Santa" letters!.............or better yet just "bite the bullet" and go out and buy a used power bulge/air grabber hood, there's  plenty of them, out there!..........................don't want used, buy NOS................they can be had too!....................everybody wants top quality parts at Walmart prices!......who cares what hardships the manufacturer incurs, as long as they make "what I want, and it's cheap"....but they better not make junk! I don't want junk!..............yep! this is the thinking, of joe average, the uninformed consumer!............step into a manufacturers "shoes", add employees to the li$t, add transportation co$t,add $torage/warehousing, general overhead co$t, etc,etc,etc,.............IT takes$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to take your$$$ ,one at a time! :rotz:

some people shouldn`t Drink and Type.

hotrod98

No offense intended, but I've been told that in Taiwan and other asian nations, that the tooling cost for a complete hood comes in at less than $100,000, sometimes much less. Those guys over there are extremely intelligent and are very good at what they do. The products from these countries have improved significantly with the huge influx of aftermarket products for new vehicles. Most body shops use these parts on practically every car they repair. I would not hesitate to buy a new hood made overseas. As long as it's not marketed through D-C, you probably won't be gouged.
Imagine my surprise when I received my Mopar Performance black krinkle hemi valve covers and they were marked "made in Taiwan".  I paid $650 for a set of valve covers that cost D-C maybe $100 at best. I just love capitalism, don't you? Ma Mopar's still looking out for us after all these years. Kind of brings a tear to your eye. :'(

Charles Addams

AKcharger

I think most Chinese parts are made on the mainland in communist re-education camps

BMOTOXSTAR

73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

TheGhost

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

AKcharger

hemihead

Quote from: hotrod98 on September 28, 2005, 07:56:55 AM
No offense intended, but I've been told that in Taiwan and other asian nations, that the tooling cost for a complete hood comes in at less than $100,000, sometimes much less. Those guys over there are extremely intelligent and are very good at what they do. The products from these countries have improved significantly with the huge influx of aftermarket products for new vehicles. Most body shops use these parts on practically every car they repair. I would not hesitate to buy a new hood made overseas. As long as it's not marketed through D-C, you probably won't be gouged.
Imagine my surprise when I received my Mopar Performance black krinkle hemi valve covers and they were marked "made in Taiwan".  I paid $650 for a set of valve covers that cost D-C maybe $100 at best. I just love capitalism, don't you? Ma Mopar's still looking out for us after all these years. Kind of brings a tear to your eye. :'(
I guess you never worked with these foreign nightmares much . The fit on them is horrible . I even have 2 friends that sell them and they laugh all the way to the bank.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

chargers_r_us

I have a white bulge hood with the vents in Southern Vt that I am asking $700 OBRO CASH for! I have a guy who says he is coming for it next week, but it is still here, and still for sale! First $700 OBRO takes it home! I can send pics! Email me at emailz7@juno.com I very seldom check the message boards...no time! I WILL respond to emails!

MoParMetal

Quote from: chargers_r_us on April 04, 2008, 04:58:55 PM
I have a white bulge hood with the vents in Southern Vt that I am asking $700 OBRO CASH for! I have a guy who says he is coming for it next week, but it is still here, and still for sale! First $700 OBRO takes it home! I can send pics! Email me at emailz7@juno.com I very seldom check the message boards...no time! I WILL respond to emails!

you're email didn't work.

I WANT A BULGE HOOD! any progress with goodmark? i dont want one of those flimsy fiberglass hoods.
looking for another one
xbox gamertag: mprmtl

andy74

3 years running and no aftermarket metal bulge hoods,i dont see it happening anytime soon :'(

RD

i have/had an extremely rusty 71 superbee hood, i got the bulge cut out and will be mating it to a 72 hood.  voila... my bulge hood issue is now remedied.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

MoParMetal

Quote from: RD on April 05, 2008, 05:14:10 PM
i have/had an extremely rusty 71 superbee hood, i got the bulge cut out and will be mating it to a 72 hood.  voila... my bulge hood issue is now remedied.

thats a good idea. now i need to find one.
looking for another one

RD

Quote from: MoParMetal on April 05, 2008, 10:18:49 PM

they tend to go a lot cheaper if you know what I mean, then you pay in labor to get it done LOL

MoParMetal

Quote from: RD on April 06, 2008, 02:24:03 AM
Quote from: MoParMetal on April 05, 2008, 10:18:49 PM

they tend to go a lot cheaper if you know what I mean, then you pay in labor to get it done LOL

no way i'm paying labor for something i can do myself. i could just take it to class and tig weld it.
looking for another one