News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Alternator gage and electrical power fluxuation issue

Started by 70charginglizard, September 07, 2007, 07:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charginglizard

So I've noticed my alternator gage starting to go well below middle line recently and then sometimes hop way up to 1/4 above mid line when at freeway speeds.

You guys think My alternators going or my coil? I'm going to pull each out tonight to see if it makes any difference but somethings definately going bad here and I'm getting worried.

Just thought I'd post before I dig into it after work tonight.

Thanks
70charginglizard

69chargeryeehaa

check the voltage regulator, they are cheap, just try replacing it, allways good to have a spare anyways.  Also make sure there is a good ground at the regulator, and all the wires on the alt are good connections. :2thumbs:

Nacho-RT74

knowing the past problem you had with Engine blue wire... I would check for the same. Dirty, rusty and loosen conectors limits the power flow. On same engine harness check the heavy black wire.

Alt, not the batt, should feed the car at least on normal use. If power doesn't arrive to the splice on black line located between bulkhead and ammeter, then power start to flow from batt and that's the moment the ammeter moves to discharge side.

That's a very tipical Mopar fail
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

70charginglizard

Well It was the Alternator.

Where that black wire connects to the alternator. that stud (that you can not tighten up unless you dissasemble the alternator) came all loose. so I brought it into smucks with the warentee and a test and after testing the give me the good news bad news speach.
The good news....it is the alternator. The bad news....your 3 year limited warantee expired two weeks ago.  :brickwall:

Oh well. New lifetime waranteed alternators on the way.  :yesnod:
70charginglizard