News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1974 charger steering wheel removal

Started by rudyjrusa, September 02, 2007, 08:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rudyjrusa

hi - how do you remove this part?? i would like to remove steering wheel and restore it myself.

keepat

You have Two option knock the roll-pin out at the bottom. Or pry back the 8 tabs on the top plate. Good luck!
Pat

moparguy01

first, if you just want the steering wheel off, your removing the wrong part.

if you want to pull the whole column, you get yourself a pin punch thats big enough and punch that pin out. if you want the wheel off, you need a steering wheel puller, and to remove that cover on the wheel there are a few bolts on the backside.

rudyjrusa

Quote from: moparguy01 on September 02, 2007, 08:42:17 PM
first, if you just want the steering wheel off, your removing the wrong part.

if you want to pull the whole column, you get yourself a pin punch thats big enough and punch that pin out. if you want the wheel off, you need a steering wheel puller, and to remove that cover on the wheel there are a few bolts on the backside.

were can i purchase a pin punch??  and what sizes should i buy??  when i take pin out - does the column come right off??  do i need to remove and linkages??

jrust

You can buy a pin punch from Sears or any auto parts stores that carries "decent" tools. One thing to remember and I found out the hard way if you start banging away at the roll pin its connected to the main shaft into the steering box, there are seals galore and if the the seals start leaking just figure on having the steering box replaced. I punched out the roll pin and within one day I had a pool of ps fluid on my garage floor. Lesson here with a few tierod ends I had to order $ 875.00 bones.

AKcharger

for the column
- there are 3 bolts under the dash
- a plate with three bolts
- trans linkage
- electric harnesses
- drop down and pull out

if just steering wheel pull trip plate and remove mount nut
use puller and remove wheel
have fun!