News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

528 HEMI

Started by ScottMH, September 02, 2007, 08:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottMH

Does anyone have any tips on fitting a 528 HEMI in a E-Body 1973 Cuda?

Mefirst

I'm no expert, but these are some issues Ive heard you'll encounter...

You need new engine mounts, I think Schumacher (Spell?) makes the correct ones.
If your car has power brakes, the power brake assembly may cause issues. The power brake assembly will like hit the driver side cylinder head.
Is the inlet/outlet of the water pump on your crate Hemi on the same side as your radiator inlet/outlet
Will your trans and rear axle be able to handle the increase power and torque of the 528?
Who is building your Hemi engine? There has been and may still be serious quality issues with the Mopar crate engines.

/Tom

Ghoste

Chrysler sells a manual for installing their crate engines into various vehicles under part number P5007521 as well.

Rolling_Thunder

motor mounts (schumacher)

Power brakes are an issue in most cases

8 bolt flywheel or flexplate

different engine wiring harness

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

ScottMH

so i take it that the 528 is physically bigger than the 426? i was thinking it was just a stroked out 426

70charger_boy

Spike tv's Musclecar put a crate 528 hemi in a 70 challenger.  Check out there website they should have all the specs on the build

Mefirst

Quote from: ScottMH on September 03, 2007, 07:58:40 AM
so i take it that the 528 is physically bigger than the 426? i was thinking it was just a stroked out 426

No, the engine still has the same physical dimensions as a 426, its the stroke and bore of the engine that makes it a 528. The 528 refers to the engine displacement, its 528cids

What causes the problem with power brakes is that the Hemi heads are so wide, and then you have the large power brake assembly. The assembly mounts to deep into the engine bay, so when you drop your Hemi in place, the driver side head/valvecover wont have room cause the assembly is in the way...

/Tom

ScottMH

so if its the same size as a 426 then shouldnt there be provisions for power brakes and such? also, doesnt it use big block motor mounts? i already have a big block in the car

Mefirst

Read my earlier post, I changed the text in it...

Mefirst

The B/RB motor mounts wont work cause the K-member is not the same as the Hemi K-member..

This is what you'll need.. http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/hemconkit.html

This mounting kit is so you can bolt on the Hemi to the B/RB K-member.

/Tom

dkn1997

Quote from: 70charger_boy on September 03, 2007, 08:10:35 AM
Spike tv's Musclecar put a crate 528 hemi in a 70 challenger.  Check out there website they should have all the specs on the build

That won't help unless you do a total custom job. they used a red top speed shop kmember, a rack/pinion, and they eliminated the factory offset and plunked it right in the middle of the engine bay. 
RECHRGED

ScottMH

Quote from: Mefirst on September 03, 2007, 09:43:05 AM
The B/RB motor mounts wont work cause the K-member is not the same as the Hemi K-member..

/Tom
looks like just the thing i need!! thanks!

keepat

Quote from: ScottMH on September 04, 2007, 07:15:52 PM
Quote from: Mefirst on September 03, 2007, 09:43:05 AM

/Tom
looks like just the thing i need!! thanks!
I have a set of those custom motor mounts new in the box for $200.00 save $50 Let me know :shruggy:

Charger-Bodie

Keepat, Did you use a megaparts refabed k frame or?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

keepat

Yes, and it worked great! I helped a friend with a Road Runner install a Hemi with the Schumacher mounts and they hold the motor higher by about 3/8" then a stock Hemi B body. The problem for me is 2 gen Charger have low hood clearance. and with a stage five 2x4 intake on top of the Hemi I couldn't spare the 3/8" loses of hood clearance. The RR and your E body have other factory hood option, not the Charger. :'( My friend has a 6 pack hood.
Pat

70charger_boy

Man, that pic looks like it was shot from google earth :drool5:

ScottMH

i have a shaker hood...will i have problems with clearence :(

ScottMH

ALSO! i have heard some bad things about Mopar Crate Engines....they seem to be unreliable?? i dont know but a known Hemi builder in town says they are over priced and crap...any thoughts on this??

keepat

I think you'll have room I've seen other E body with stage 5 intake and a shaker on top. But you should with other E body owners? As for the create Hemi it's a crap shoot will you get a good one or a bad one? You will be the 1st to know as they don't test run the motors nor do they warranty them. Go with a custom engine builder, it will cost you more and no warranty still but you get to hear it run on the dyno. :Twocents:
Pat

ScottMH

so its possible to buy a $15,000 paper weight?? seems unresonable

Mike DC

I'd rather buy a "crate" Hemi from one of the good custom shops than from MP.  (John Aruzza's outfit, etc.)

ScottMH

is there a airconditioning kit that will mount on a Hemi?

keepat

Yes! check with www.classicautoair.com they make under head mounted compressor.
Pat

Ghoste

If your known Hemi builder is a straight shooter, he should be able to quote you both assembling a Hemi from scratch and if he can't beat the price of the MP Crate Hemi, give you an idea of what he would charge to open it up and verify it as best he can before installing it.  Maybe even do a proper reassembly.
I know most builders do not want to be anywhere near the work of another builder and they should rightfully have pride in their own work (who wants an engine builder with no pride) but it is still an option to explore.  Overall though, if you have a known Hemi builder in town, your best bet is likely to trust him and just pay the piper.

69Chrgr

I am just about to put the coin down for my Hemi. I've done extensive research, and it looks like FHO(For Hemis Only) is the place to go. He is a little cheaper than Barton, and just as good from everyone I've spoken to regarding the Hemi. Barton wanted me to run a Solid cam, however I just can't see bending over a $12,000 dollar paint job over and over to reset the valves. Tim's engines seem to be pretty stout as well.

ScottMH

ive decided to go with the local Hemi builder...he actaully used to work for Bartons...the total is right under $20k with tax for a 528 Hemi pushing 700-750HP...should be done in about 4 months

70charger_boy

Ghoste

I think he has changed his mind?

472 R/T SE

If you plan on running power brakes there's a very distinct possibility that you won't have enough vacuum to properly run them.  Too much cam.

You're going with a local builder, that's cool.  I'm one of the fortunate few that has had zero problems with my crate motor.  We only pulled the valve covers and intake to do a quick lookie see.  Of course it's a "second generation" motor.
If I were to do it all over again I would have Tim @ FHO build me the stroker for the same if not less money.  None better IMO.

keepat, they don't test the MP crate motors?  That's news to me.  All the "second generation" motors get dyno sheets now I thought.
You said there wasn't enough room runnin a Stage V intake?  I'm runnin' Schumacher mounts and a Stage V.  :shruggy:  Then again we have different bases and cleaners so maybe that's why.  I got my intake package from Tim, do his bases' sit lower?

keepat

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on September 14, 2007, 04:26:31 PM
If you plan on running power brakes there's a very distinct possibility that you won't have enough vacuum to properly run them.  Too much cam.

You're going with a local builder, that's cool.  I'm one of the fortunate few that has had zero problems with my crate motor.  We only pulled the valve covers and intake to do a quick lookie see.  Of course it's a "second generation" motor.
If I were to do it all over again I would have Tim @ FHO build me the stroker for the same if not less money.  None better IMO.

keepat, they don't test the MP crate motors?  That's news to me.  All the "second generation" motors get dyno sheets now I thought.
You said there wasn't enough room runnin a Stage V intake?  I'm runnin' Schumacher mounts and a Stage V.  :shruggy:  Then again we have different bases and cleaners so maybe that's why.  I got my intake package from Tim, do his bases' sit lower?
I have less then 1/8" between the top of the air-cleaner and the bottom of the hood, and to get that I fabricated my own air-cleaner base & filter! I hope they are pulling dyno now? :scratchchin: That was not the case when I was shopping!
Pat

472 R/T SE

Nice fab work.  Are those Barton valve covers?  The breather baffle in my 1.5 year old covers came loose and my valve springs and rocker gave it hell.  :'(

Here's a shot at a horizontal angle showing the difference in air cleaner assembly, the 68-69's sit a lot higher apparently.  Didn't know that.  :scratchchin:

keepat

Yes they are Ray Barton valve covers. Check out the 1/16" space between the shock tower and the valve cover! How is yours?
Pat