News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Quick reverse light question.

Started by mauibarber, June 17, 2007, 08:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauibarber

Hey guys I have a quick reverse light question.  My reverse lights come on when the car is put in reverse and in drive but they will turn off in park.  Before I start ripping switches and wires apart I wanted to see what you thought the problem might be.

Is it something as simple as switching the two wires in the firewall plug or a switch problem or ?... :shruggy:

Thanks,
Alex

Ghoste

A sticking swith or misaligned?  Your car is a 69 right?

mauibarber

yes, its a 69.
You think its a sticking switch?  Should I take it out and wd-40 it?

Ghoste

I'm grasping at straws really.  Everything is properly adjusted under there for trans linkage?  Does it do it in neutral?

y3chargerrt

Mine did the samething because the transmission was a 67 in a 69 car. I had to pull the value body and install the correct rooster comb.

mauibarber

Can I get the rooster comb from Year One or do you suggest somewhere else.  How difficult is it to pull the value body?
-Alex

John_Kunkel

Besides Park and Drive do the lights also stay on in 2 and 1? If the valve body has the wrong roostercomb it should turn the lights on in 2 and 1 also, a broken plastic shoe on the correct roostercomb will cause the same problem.

To convert a '68 or earlier valve body to use the 3-prong BU light switch you need the roostercomb from a '69 or '70 only; the '71 and later won't work. In the pic below the one on the left is the '69-70.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

mauibarber

Went out and checked again.  To be clear, the reverse lights turn OFF in Park and in Neutral.  They come ON in all other gears.

Does this still sound like a rooster comb issue? and if so where do I order one from?  I checked Year one and cant seem to find it.

Would it be easier to change the Neutral Safety Switch instead?  I'm sorry, I don't know much about rooster combs and valve bodies.
-Alex

Charger-Bodie

how many prongs are on youre switch?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

mauibarber

How many should be on a 69 charger?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: mauibarber on June 18, 2007, 11:26:43 PM
How many should be on a 69 charger?
there should be 3 pins but it sounds like you may have a 68 i stud style?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

John_Kunkel

I would remove the NSS (have a bucket to catch the fluid) and take a look in the hole. If all you see is a metal contact in the center of the hole with the shifter in N and P, you have the incorrect roostercomb. If you can see the remnants of the plastic shoe (shown in the pics I posted) you just need to replace the damaged part.

You won't find this part in the aftermarket, you'll have to find either a new or used factory part.

mauibarber

Quote from: John_Kunkel on June 19, 2007, 04:32:01 PM

I would remove the NSS (have a bucket to catch the fluid) and take a look in the hole. If all you see is a metal contact in the center of the hole with the shifter in N and P, you have the incorrect roostercomb. If you can see the remnants of the plastic shoe (shown in the pics I posted) you just need to replace the damaged part.

You won't find this part in the aftermarket, you'll have to find either a new or used factory part.

I'm having a difficult time tracking down this part.  Can you tell me what to search for?  typing in roostercomb does nothing on ebay or google.  I will have my car on a lift next week and will get a good look at the NSS and the inside of the trans.  I am thinking that its a broken plastic shoe, but searching charger shoe produces nothing.  Does it and the "rooster comb" have a proper part name?  Anybody know where I can get just the plastic shoe?

Also, can you tell me what I will see if I have the correct roostercomb? (after I remove the NSS)  Will I see no metal contacts?
-alex

41husk

I was having the same problem with my 73, but the NSS was not working at all.  I had to jump it across the starter relay to get it started.  After I changed the NSS the reverse light stoped comming on in drive.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

y3chargerrt

I bought an NOS rooster comb from Brad/s NOS in maybe 1999.

John_Kunkel

The part number for the '69-'70 lever is 2801783; the correct name is "Lever, manual with insulator".

If you wind up needing one, try a NOS vendor or you might try tflite_patty on e-bay.