News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A cannon went off in my exhaust.

Started by deputycrawford, August 30, 2007, 11:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deputycrawford

I changed my intake to a Street Dominator. I lashed the valves while I was at it. I put it back together and started it up. It fired once then sounded like a cannon went off in the exhaust. I did reuse my carb base gaskets. I wouldn't think the intake should make that kind of problem as it sucked oil when it leaked. Could it be an exhaust valve thats too tight? Or the base gaskets? It smelled like a fire cracker or maybe hot metal when it did it. Makes me nervous to start it again. I never touched the distributor and the firing order is correct. What would you check first?
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

deputycrawford

Thank you for all your replies. I needed the new ideas.  :nana:    I thought about it over night. It sounded like the engine fired a cylinder while an exhaust valve was open. I went back and re lashed the valves. It started fine and ran good. Now to find the leaks, the driveline vibration and change the gear box. You know, just the little things.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

firefighter3931

Hey Dep, good job finding the source of your backfire. It was pretty obvious an exhaust valve was too tight and hanging open.  ;) How are you setting the lash....just curious ? The 90* crank rotation method works good.

You bringing the car to Norwalk ? I'll be there with my buddy Kevin (Blown 68 Coronet) so if you make it, come over and say hi  :wave:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

deputycrawford

I hope to bring the car to Norwalk. I have it running again. I have a few more fixes and get the day off. I'm about 90% sure I'm gonna make it so far. I should be there with the Hot Wheels Wheelie Truck. That thing does wheelies to almost half track, when its running right, and still pulls low 10's.
     I will make sure to look for you. I could give you my cell number if you email me at deputycrawford@aol.com or get yours and call you. Whatever you want. I hear Charger69 should be there also. I missed him at the Nats but left him a note. Hope to see everybody there.

firefighter3931

Cool, hope ya make it ! There will be LOTS of cold Canadian  :cheers: if that's any incentive. :icon_smile_big:

Look for the big bad Blown Coronet in the pits....we'll be there all w/e. R2 will be next to us with his white 65 Belvedere racecar. I'll pm ya my cell number.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs