News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dodge Dart Diesel???

Started by martinihenry, September 06, 2005, 12:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martinihenry

1969 Dodge Charger 318 (2 doors only, thank you very much)
1972 Dodge W-200 4X4 "PowerWagon"
...Only Dodge in my garage!

TheGhost

I believe that the engine conversion was done at the dealership, before it was sold.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

RD

wasnt Nissan actually Datsun back in 1968?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

greatwn73

Nissan was the Japanese parent company name and the Datsun name was used in North America because somebody in marketing thought it sounded better.

Badbob

I saw a diesel Duster at the Spring Roundup a few years ago.

andy74

why the hell would any one do that?diesel conversion in 68 made as much sense as a blown big block daily driver now!

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: andy74 on September 06, 2005, 04:24:05 PM
why the hell would any one do that?diesel conversion in 68 made as much sense as a blown big block daily driver now!

Maybe they wanted a little car that could tow a house or something? :icon_smile_shock:

I'm guessing diesel was more than regular gas back then? Anyone?

BBD

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Ghost on September 06, 2005, 12:49:06 AM
I believe that the engine conversion was done at the dealership, before it was sold.

That engine wasnt made in 1968 and thats not a dealership install!

Thats a Nissan SD33 diesel engine. Years ago Chrysler had a marine division and they used those engines in Marine Applications (boats). Putting the Chrysler stamp on the valve cover. It appears to be a Chrysler Marine engine in the car. In the 70's International Harvester used the same engine in Scouts I believe it was. IH used the 727 Chrysler transmission with their own bellhousing. Its not a power house diesel engine like we are used to seeing in the current pickup truck market.

To sum it up its a boat engine with an IH tranny stuck in the Dart.

In about 1940 to 1941 Dodge did make their own diesel engine in their trucks. Diesels were not popular at that time and the trend didnt last very long. In the 60's they did use Perkins diesel engines in trucks. Rumor has it one late 50's Fury had a Perkins engine put in it for export. In the mid 1970's Dodge and Mitsubishi went together on a 6 cly diesel engine for pickup trucks to compete against the Chevy 6.2 diesel for the military. The Chevy 6.2 ended up getting the military contract and that was the end of diesels until 1989 when they put the first non intercooled Cummins Turbo diesel in the trucks which has since set the pickup truck industry on its ear!

Todd

SirNik73

that is an awesom Dart! it would be cool to team that car up with some Veggie Oil! crusing for free! that would be awesome.
i've always wanted to put a Cummings Diesel in a Charger! i think it would be fun. black smoke and all! my friends dad has a Cummings Ram putting out 450hp that sounds like a Charger engine to me.
1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1968 Couger... got this one for free! and it looks like it was free :)
1983 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Daily Driver
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

chrisII

ive seen one of those 70s dodge diesel pickups. however the diesel was gone and it was a gasser. had origional "diesel powered" decals on the fenders.

sirnik73 , i doubt you could see around the top of a cummins installed in a charger, plus they are so heavy that it would drive terrible!  But, there are plenty of small diesel plants that would fit, are much lighter, and wouldnt destroy 727s , driveshafts, and rear ends as easly. something sized for a skid steer or a small tractor.

cudaken

Quote from: andy74 on September 06, 2005, 04:24:05 PM

Andy, them there are fighing words! ;D

Well 40 MPG sound's pretty good to me right now, but $4500.00?

Cuda Ken
I am back

Todd Wilson