News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SO IT BEGINS....my 69 Charger!!!!--August 29/2007 **Updated March 18th, 2019**

Started by 69bronzeT5, August 30, 2007, 03:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

Quote from: jb666 on April 18, 2010, 02:58:11 PM
Hey! I have a box of "left-over" parts I'm willing to send you. Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll fire it off to you this week. You'll find something of interest in there, I'm sure  :cheers: :cheers:

You have a PM Jeff :cheers:

Quote from: TUFCAT on April 18, 2010, 05:38:44 PM

It really looks much better! .....but those doors should always be down unless you're driving at night.  :D

I suppose the bezels will provide make a cleaner look when the headlights are on... :2thumbs:

Well, I always have the headlight doors down so I figure putting them up once in a while is a good change of scenery hehe ;)

Quote from: tan top on April 18, 2010, 06:22:52 PM

look good Cody  :yesnod: , they finish off a 69 grill ! looks empty with out them  :yesnod: :Twocents:   :2thumbs:

That they do! It looks sooo much better.

Quote from: aone415 on April 18, 2010, 07:29:50 PM
Looking good Cody... now don't you wish you had a 68 to go with those bezels  :rofl:

Nahhh....I'll have a '68 one day but I still like my '69s better :nana:

Quote from: Finn on April 18, 2010, 10:32:28 PM
Hey man if you find a pair of those bumper brackets I need one! Ive got just one too lol.
According to a guy I talked to at Spring Fling yesterday they're being re-popped for 20 bucks but he didn't remember who was making them....

AMD :yesnod:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

71ChallengeHer

KSChrgr68

nice thread, looked at the progress, inspiring me to dive head long into my resto  :2thumbs:

I got my dreamcar in 2010

69bronzeT5

Well, to mark the 12 YEAR anniversery of me owning my Charger, I figure I'd finally announce a decision I've made and pondered for the past few weeks. As you guys know, my Charger needs a lot of work and A LOT of money to be fully restored, especially the way I want it (pro-touring). I've decided it's been sitting too long and it's time I actually drive it. After talking with my dad and going over everything, I've made a goal to get it on the road for summer 2011. I want nothing more than to drive my Charger to shows in the summer while my dad drives the Duster. So, that being said a lot of work will be getting done over the winter and spring months ahead. My car does have a rusty rear frame rail and a rusty torsion bar crossmember (it's horrible) so instead of replacing it, I'll just be patching it along with the front floor pans. It won't be anything pretty but it dosen't matter, I just want to drive the thing while having it safe at the same time. The car is pretty straight body work wise, has it's issues but nothing bondo can't fix  :lol: See, I still have the full intentions to fully restore it to my dream car status one day but for now I just want to drive my baby. We're going to pull the 383 and do a run over of it again. About 5 years ago we did that and put new plugs, wires, gaskets and everything on. I've already written down a list of stuff I need. This is going to be very budget oriented keep in mind. It won't be built to drive long distance right now, just blast around town. I have the Duster for long distance trips so I'm not losing out or anything. I have the full front disc brake set up for it so I'll be putting that in, new shocks all the way around, new brake lines and fuel lines, new fuel tank just to name some things. Most of the other stuff will just be used parts. I will be looking around for smaller parts when money permits. The car is pretty damn complete so that's definitley good. Anyways, I just figured I'd let you guys know the car will no longer be sitting doing nothing in my garage. Needless to say I'm pumped and look forward to getting it finally road worthy :cheers:

TUFCAT

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on December 25, 2010, 10:47:05 PM
Well, to mark the 12 YEAR anniversery of me owning my Charger, I figure I'd finally announce a decision I've made and pondered for the past few weeks. As you guys know, my Charger needs a lot of work and A LOT of money to be fully restored, especially the way I want it (pro-touring). I've decided it's been sitting too long and it's time I actually drive it. After talking with my dad and going over everything, I've made a goal to get it on the road for summer 2011. I want nothing more than to drive my Charger to shows in the summer while my dad drives the Duster. So, that being said a lot of work will be getting done over the winter and spring months ahead. My car does have a rusty rear frame rail and a rusty torsion bar crossmember (it's horrible) so instead of replacing it, I'll just be patching it along with the front floor pans. It won't be anything pretty but it dosen't matter, I just want to drive the thing while having it safe at the same time. The car is pretty straight body work wise, has it's issues but nothing bondo can't fix  :lol: See, I still have the full intentions to fully restore it to my dream car status one day but for now I just want to drive my baby. We're going to pull the 383 and do a run over of it again. About 5 years ago we did that and put new plugs, wires, gaskets and everything on. I've already written down a list of stuff I need. This is going to be very budget oriented keep in mind. It won't be built to drive long distance right now, just blast around town. I have the Duster for long distance trips so I'm not losing out or anything. I have the full front disc brake set up for it so I'll be putting that in, new shocks all the way around, new brake lines and fuel lines, new fuel tank just to name some things. Most of the other stuff will just be used parts. I will be looking around for smaller parts when money permits. The car is pretty damn complete so that's definitley good. Anyways, I just figured I'd let you guys know the car will no longer be sitting doing nothing in my garage. Needless to say I'm pumped and look forward to getting it finally road worthy :cheers:

I'm worried about this plan. I'm afraid you'll be cutting corners. This approach usually ends up costing more time and money in the long run. :badidea:

Basically whatever you do now might be throwing away money - you could double the amount of time (and money) to fix mistakes/overlooked items later.

Sorry to be the heavy Cody. I'm really proud that your setting some restoration goals  :2thumbs:, but please.... don't rush into anything. :nono:

Back N Black

That is a great idea, drive her now and restore later. Take car of the safety issues i.e brake lines, fuel lines, steering,suspension and do a little cosmetic on the body.   :2thumbs:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Back N Black on December 25, 2010, 11:20:08 PM
That is a great idea, drive her now and restore later. Take car of the safety issues i.e brake lines, fuel lines, steering,suspension and do a little cosmetic on the body.   :2thumbs:

Thats the plan  :cheers: Tom, like I said it'll be done with budget and safety in mind. No corners cut really. I've gotten quotes of like $15,000 for body and paint and I just can't afford that. As some of you have seen what we did with the Duster, I'm confident the Charger can be made road worthy for a reasonable cost.

grdprx

I'm in the same boat with you Cody, it's sad watching my Charger just sit there; and I've only had mine 3 1/2 years.  These projects are never over, so at least it can be enjoyed while we improve them!   :cheers:

Good luck with your goal.  I got mine running, it moves; just need some work to make it run miles.  Hope to make it to a show this summer.  Maybe the Spring Roundup in Everett!

tan top

Quote from: TUFCAT on December 25, 2010, 11:10:11 PM
Well, to mark the 12 YEAR anniversery of me owning my Charger, I figure I'd finally announce a decision I've made and pondered for the past few weeks. As you guys know, my Charger needs a lot of work and A LOT of money to be fully restored, especially the way I want it (pro-touring). I've decided it's been sitting too long and it's time I actually drive it. After talking with my dad and going over everything, I've made a goal to get it on the road for summer 2011. I want nothing more than to drive my Charger to shows in the summer while my dad drives the Duster. So, that being said a lot of work will be getting done over the winter and spring months ahead. My car does have a rusty rear frame rail and a rusty torsion bar crossmember (it's horrible) so instead of replacing it, I'll just be patching it along with the front floor pans. It won't be anything pretty but it dosen't matter, I just want to drive the thing while having it safe at the same time. The car is pretty straight body work wise, has it's issues but nothing bondo can't fix  :lol: See, I still have the full intentions to fully restore it to my dream car status one day but for now I just want to drive my baby. We're going to pull the 383 and do a run over of it again. About 5 years ago we did that and put new plugs, wires, gaskets and everything on. I've already written down a list of stuff I need. This is going to be very budget oriented keep in mind. It won't be built to drive long distance right now, just blast around town. I have the Duster for long distance trips so I'm not losing out or anything. I have the full front disc brake set up for it so I'll be putting that in, new shocks all the way around, new brake lines and fuel lines, new fuel tank just to name some things. Most of the other stuff will just be used parts. I will be looking around for smaller parts when money permits. The car is pretty damn complete so that's definitley good. Anyways, I just figured I'd let you guys know the car will no longer be sitting doing nothing in my garage. Needless to say I'm pumped and look forward to getting it finally road worthy :cheers:

I'm worried about this plan. I'm afraid you'll be cutting corners. This approach usually ends up costing more time and money in the long run. :badidea:

Basically whatever you do now might be throw away money - you could double the amount of time (and money) to fix mistakes/overlooked items later.

Sorry to be the heavy Cody. I'm really proud that your setting some restoration goals  :2thumbs:, but please.... don't rush into anything. :nono:

sorry to say Cody ! i'm with TC on this one  :yesnod: but i can appreciate what your saying !! & thinking  :yesnod: :Twocents: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Tilar

Quote from: tan top on December 26, 2010, 04:04:43 AM
Quote from: TUFCAT on December 25, 2010, 11:10:11 PM

Basically whatever you do now might be throw away money - you could double the amount of time (and money) to fix mistakes/overlooked items later.

Sorry to be the heavy Cody. I'm really proud that your setting some restoration goals  :2thumbs:, but please.... don't rush into anything. :nono:

sorry to say Cody ! i'm with TC on this one  :yesnod: but i can appreciat what your saying !! & thinking  :yesnod: :Twocents: :popcrn:

Add one more to the list. Regardless of how little it is, you're spending good money for a not so good outcome. At least spend the money for things like the torsion bar crossmember and frame rail. You can patch floorboards relatively cheap but the others are definitley safety and drivability issues.  :Twocents:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

elacruze

I'm all for fixing the important stuff and driving it. Gotta re-light the fire, so to speak. Just do your best to make sure the work you do doesn't have to be undone if you do a full resto later.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

b5blue

Good Luck!!! It's what I've done for 15 years. Brakes and suspension cut no corners, fix it well, so it's sturdy and reliable. Do the wipers and defroster work? You will need them if it rains. Brake lights, check and recheck.  :2thumbs:

Patronus

theres no reason for 10K you couldn't do the car. you have the skills, the space, the desire to learn. send me your address, I think I have some extras for you...
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The70RT

It's your call so good luck Cody, your young enough to later on restore it the rest of the way. I did the driving it around thing already, mine was fairly nice drove it in high school raised hell with it and then parked it for a long time. Us old guys would rather get it done now and over with and enjoy a nice car while we can.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

jaak

Sounds like a good plan Cody, but I want to offer some advise from experience. This goal is doable, but like others said you do not need to shortcut the structural and safety issues. Sometimes it also takes sacrafices to reach goals. Looking at your signature I see your Duster, Durango, and a Coronet. If you really want something sometimes you gotta let something else go. What popped up in my mind is that coronet. How complete is it? What will it take to restore? Is it a regular coronet/super bee/rt? If it is a regular coronet, has good framerails, I would be tempted to use it as parts to fix the Charger. You could take the framerail and crossmember from the coronet, cut floor patches (if needed) and make other patches as needed from the car. Not to mention other stuff you may need that interchanges from one Bbody to another. Then all the other Coronet specific items (ie. fenders, grille, etc.) can be sold off on eBay, craigslist, etc. to make cash to put back into the Charger. I did a similar thing, I started with 2 '69 Chargers....would have loved to restore them both, but after thinking about it, I could either have 2 cars dreaming of fixing em both up, or I could part one, sell off what I didnt need and get to work on the other. Im now on the down hill slope with my 69....I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. And Im still considering selling my '73 rallye to go ahead and finish the 69 quicker than what I'm planning.

Or option 2, Sell the Duster or Durango, to fund getting the 69 roadworthy.

Good luck  :2thumbs:
Jason

TUFCAT

Quote from: jaak on December 26, 2010, 01:01:17 PM

If it is a regular coronet, has good framerails, I would be tempted to use it as parts to fix the Charger. You could take the framerail and crossmember from the coronet, cut floor patches (if needed) and make other patches as needed from the car. Not to mention other stuff you may need that interchanges from one Bbody to another.

That's a great idea! That Coronet is a basic shell as far as I know and its a 500 model with a 318. If it were mine, I'd do exactly what you said. :yesnod:

tan top

Quote from: TUFCAT on December 26, 2010, 01:12:10 PM
Quote from: jaak on December 26, 2010, 01:01:17 PM

If it is a regular coronet, has good framerails, I would be tempted to use it as parts to fix the Charger. You could take the framerail and crossmember from the coronet, cut floor patches (if needed) and make other patches as needed from the car. Not to mention other stuff you may need that interchanges from one Bbody to another.

That's a great idea! That Coronet is a basic shell as far as I know and its a 500 model with a 318. If it were mine, I'd do exactly what you said. :yesnod:

thats a good plan :yesnod: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 

69bronzeT5

The Coronet is a 1 of 41 car because its a 500 with a 318 3spd manual :)

tan top

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on December 26, 2010, 01:37:10 PM

D'oH , hmmm not such a good idea then to cut it up  :scratchchin: :shruggy: :scratchchin: :popcrn:

Charger Stuff 

TUFCAT

Heck, I say get the Sawzall out now! .... :hack:   :icon_smile_big:

Convert the Charger to a 4-speed!  :2thumbs:

jaak

Cody is there a thread for your Coronet?

Jason

69bronzeT5

Quote from: jaak on December 26, 2010, 02:09:27 PM

Cody is there a thread for your Coronet?

Jason

Nope, I haven't done anything with it yet so no thread  ;)