News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I'm retiring tomorrow!

Started by RECHRGD, August 29, 2007, 08:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

I'm going to retire tomorrow at 59 after a long career in electrical contracting.  Business is just not fun anymore.  The projects used to be interesting and challenging, giving you a feeling of accomplishment at every project conclusion.  These days you seem to just be defending yourself against or preparing to file a claim (lawsuit) against general contractors or owners.  It's all about the money and I'm just tired.  I have years of honey do's to catch up on and am looking forward to spending more time on the Charger.  I have mixed feelings about all this and wonder if I'll be wanting a job at Walmart after a couple of years.  Anyway, wish me luck.   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Silver R/T

glad you're retiring. Not many people can afford to retire, thats why I see a lot of people at my job coming back for few months and then retiring and then coming back again....endless cycle.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

41husk

Congrats!  I figure with my financial situation, I can retire about 5 years after I die :brickwall: :RantExplode:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Lowprofile

Good Luck to you Bro! I'm sure your wife will keep you plenty busy!  :D :cheers:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

General_01

Congrats! Just keep doing the Honey-do list and before you know it two years will have gone by. :icon_smile_big:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

TruckDriver

Quote from: 41husk on August 29, 2007, 08:22:44 PM
Congrats!  I figure with my financial situation, I can retire about 5 years after I die :brickwall: :RantExplode:

Same for me, but maybe 7 years after I die :P
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Daytona R/T SE

Lucky Bastard! I can't afford to die !  :brickwall: :brickwall:

Bob

Congratulations Bob :cheers:.
Done it twice myself but ended up going back full time again by choice. Between the honey do list and boredom had to go back.

Bob

THE COLONEL

Congrats, and good luck.  You might as well do something you like!! ;)
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

my73charger

Congrats Bob!  I wish you the very best.  :2thumbs:

PocketThunder

According to my Ameriprise worksheet, I guessed on a life expectancy of 99 yrs old, i'll need about 5 million to retire and i'll have to work till i'm 74.  So 42 more years at this desk for me :brickwall:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Charger_Fan

Congrats on your retirement! :cheers: Whatever you do, don't go work for Wally World if you get bored...death would be preferrable before that! :icon_smile_big:
We have a retired guy here at work who checks in our daily UPS shipments. It's the kind of job that doesn't pay a lot, but one that bores the young guys...an older person (or at least this guy) is just fine being in a quiet back room, checking in parts. I suppose it depends on how much social interaction a person likes. :shruggy:

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on August 29, 2007, 09:40:30 PM

Lucky Bastard! I can't afford to die !  :brickwall: :brickwall:
:haha: :smilielol:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

The70RT

Good luck man.  :cheers: I plan on going when I am 59 also. My job goes by a point system, so 13 more years....unless I get my bosses job. :D
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hemi68charger

Bon Voyage on your new adventure... Make the best of it... Maybe start up a mopar restoration shop....   :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

OldGuy

Bob,
Congrats on your retirement.  I went out about 4 years ago.  Best decision I made.  However, when you pull your foot out of the sand, the hole fills up pretty quickly.  You will find there is more to do than you can get done just around the house and in a couple of months you will start wondering how you got anything done while you were working.  Got so use to retirement now that I don't know how I could ever go back to the job that I had and survive it.
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

John_Kunkel

Quote from: OldGuy on August 30, 2007, 03:15:04 PM
Bob, in a couple of months you will start wondering how you got anything done while you were working. 

Boy, ain't that the truth. I bailed out 16 years ago and still have unfinished projects from then.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ITSA426

Congrats.  I walked out of the airline industry in '98 and haven't looked back.  I consider myself professionally unemployed.  My worst day home still beats a really good day at work.

71ChallengeHer

Congrats  :cheers:  enjoy your free time , now. :2thumbs:

RECHRGD

Thanks for the best wishes guys.  I've been retired now for about two hours and somehow don't feel any different. ;D  I've always had a job since the age of 14.  In my younger years I used to work two or more jobs just to be sure MaMa could stay home with the kids.  I think I did everything right and have always dreamed of being able to do this.  I think my mind and body are just too tuned into the day to day grind that it will take some time to let it all fall into place and realize that the grind is over.  But wait!  MaMa is working on this weeks list.  So much for leasure time. :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: ::) ::)  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Brock Samson

Good for you!  :yesnod:

July 3rd was my last day after 27 years at the newspaper's metro desk,.. i didn't really go cause i could i could afford to, i left cause they (the Hearst Corp.) is ruining the place,.. so haveing worked non stop since i was 13  at at least two to three jobs at a time, i figgured it was time to take a break and travel and spend some of the money i have saved...
  I'll have to go back to work,.. but that's next yr. right now im just gonna enjoy my free time,.. get good and bored and read some of these dozens of books i've got stacked up and do stuff on a whim... dig for dinos in the bad lands... visit friends as i git around, take advantage of mobility and my good health...

:cheers:

rt green

well brock, if you go to the bad lands, and find yourself on the east side of south dakota, look me up
third string oil changer

PocketThunder

Quote from: RECHRGD on August 30, 2007, 07:32:30 PM  But wait!  MaMa is working on this weeks list.  So much for leasure time. :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: ::) ::)  Bob

Wait, so you're saying that even though i take care of the honey-do list this week, that there will always be a honey-do list even into retirement?  Even till i die?  :pullinghair:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

skip68

Quote from: RECHRGD on August 29, 2007, 08:14:36 PM
I'm going to retire tomorrow at 59 after a long career in electrical contracting.  Business is just not fun anymore.  The projects used to be interesting and challenging, giving you a feeling of accomplishment at every project conclusion.  These days you seem to just be defending yourself against or preparing to file a claim (lawsuit) against general contractors or owners.  It's all about the money and I'm just tired.  I have years of honey do's to catch up on and am looking forward to spending more time on the Charger.  I have mixed feelings about all this and wonder if I'll be wanting a job at Walmart after a couple of years.  Anyway, wish me luck.   Bob

Congrats on your retirement!  :cheers:  Ironically, we just opened a commercial & residential electrical company!! Wish us luck!
Mr. & Mrs. Skip68 ;)
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

400/6/PAC

:iagree:

8WHEELER

A well earned retirement Bob   :2thumbs:  I can't believe we getting up there, but
everytime we get in our Chargers we are 18 again   :cheers:, so jump in the car
anytime you need a break. By the way, my father in-law retired 11yrs ago, he
worked harder after he retired than while being payed to work  :brickwall: he
is finally able to slow down now, but still does more work than most 20yr old's :yesnod:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.