News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Stroker Kit?

Started by Hot_Rodder, August 28, 2007, 11:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot_Rodder

Was over at 440 Source today, not sure if anyone has noted this or not, but they are listing a "New 440 kit" here it is:
440 >> 543. (4.500" stroke/7.100" rod) Approximate Bobweight: 2230

Here's a little of what they say:
If your race car trailer is bigger than your house, and the tires on your truck are taller than your significant other, than this is the kit for you. This kit takes a factory 440 block out to the maximum cubic inch limit. Any bigger and the rods will actually hit the camshaft.

Well.... I wonder what everyone will say about this one, obviously, probably not recommended for the street.... :scratchchin:

BrianShaughnessy

My friend and fellow member George runs a 572 aluminum block hemi on the street....   Of course he gets about 6mpg highway running pump 93 octane.  Yu can run just about anything on the street but that doesn't mean you want to run it - for very long. 

All I'm looking to do is a 500-512 stroker shortblock - preferably 4.25 stroke.     That 4.25 with some aftermarket rods is about as big as you can go with a stock like oil system.     Any bigger and you need external pickup, etc.    The new blocks are coming out from 3 mfg'ers now (including 440source)  and
I suspect they'll support higher HP levels then the old stuff.

The next part involves what are you going to bolt that megaHP motor up to?    You might tend to blow up axles, rears, driveshafts and transmissions.
I only want to get closer to the max for my Keisler 5 speed - it'll be hard giving up the 15mpg highway I get now.     
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Challenger340

Take a Factory 440 Block to 543 cubic inchs ?

OK then.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

firefighter3931

A 4.5 stroke crank is too much for a stock block, inmo. You would need some really big Heads to make it work properly but then the block would become a ticking time bomb. Stock blocks aren't strong enough for the kind of power a well sorted out 540 would make. Not to mention the external oiling issue.

The 4.25 crank seems like the best option inmo....internal oilng, no major clearancing required and it will make more useable horsepower and torque than you could ever need in a street car.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Hot_Rodder

Never said I was gonna run it, LOL. Would be nice, esp in that lil' ol '70 Duster in the back yard, and equip it with a wel built auto, and a 4 link with a Dana 60... Wonder how it woulddo on the track... BTW, the Duster is stripped completely down... Other than a roll cage, aluminum dash with AutoMeter gauges, new wiring harness, about the only thing that I would install would be aluminum seats, shouldn't add much to the extremely low #'s..... :scratchchin:

aifilaw

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 28, 2007, 09:30:28 PM
A 4.5 stroke crank is too much for a stock block, inmo. You would need some really big Heads to make it work properly but then the block would become a ticking time bomb. Stock blocks aren't strong enough for the kind of power a well sorted out 540 would make. Not to mention the external oiling issue.

The 4.25 crank seems like the best option inmo....internal oilng, no major clearancing required and it will make more useable horsepower and torque than you could ever need in a street car.  :Twocents:

Ron
:iagree:

I suppose its possible to run that crank on a 440, toned down it would probably last a couple seasons, but tuned to do what its capable of I can see getting about 10 good runs in before something nasty occurred.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

firefighter3931

Quote from: Hot_Rodder on August 29, 2007, 02:58:39 PM
Never said I was gonna run it, LOL. Would be nice, esp in that lil' ol '70 Duster in the back yard, and equip it with a wel built auto, and a 4 link with a Dana 60... Wonder how it woulddo on the track... BTW, the Duster is stripped completely down... Other than a roll cage, aluminum dash with AutoMeter gauges, new wiring harness, about the only thing that I would install would be aluminum seats, shouldn't add much to the extremely low #'s..... :scratchchin:

With a stripped Duster race car i'd just build a hot 440...it'll run 10's pretty easy with a combo like the one in Vegas Mike's car.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs