News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

LOOKING FOR INPUT,MEMBERS WITH HEMI RAMS

Started by 69 OUR/TEA, August 28, 2007, 08:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 OUR/TEA

Finally upgraded to a newer truck,needed 4 doors,hemi ram being my fav of the big three,thats what I searched for.After having a 1/2 ton chevy for 14 years started looking at 3/4 ton for more towing capacity,but after driving one,little to stiff for my taste as I do not tow enouh to justify having it along with being impressed after finding out what the ram 1500 hemi  w/ 3:92's could tow,decided to check those out.Looked at alot,then found a real clean 04 sport at the same dealership where I bought new my 2000 Durango R/T,and 2003 Caravan.The ram has the 3:92's,electric drivers seat,infinity stereo w/steering wheel mounted controls,remote start,and tow package.Super clean paint and body for an 04 along with very clean chassis,and the tow hitch never having a receiver slid into it !! Looks like it was always garaged,just as I plan to do.Was very impressed at how nice this thing drove along with the power it has,but I geuss when you are going from an 89 chevy w/250k on it,that was 210 horse when new,to 345 it's a big diff.
   I would like to know from members that have these trucks,some of the mods you have done.I have already bought and put in the superchips power programmer,works great,but would like to know about which cold air kits,and exhaust is popular,anything else.Seems to be alot of talk about going synthetic too.I was actually looking at the S.S. magnaflow and gibson single .Did some surfing over on the hemi ram website,but figured I'd ask all of you as they don't reply back as much as this site.Thanks and here are a couple of pics....

ramit

Nice truck!  I have an 03 SLT Laramie quadcab with a hemi that has 13,000 miles on it.  That truck is my baby,  every time I get in it I just love driving it.  I won't be much help though because i haven't done any mods to mine yet.  I am looking to do some though so I am glad you started this thread.

TeeWJay426

Honestly, I have not modded mine at all....after going from an 89 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 318, it had more power than I figured I would need.... and it hasn't disappointed me yet. I do use synthetic oil in it, would like to go for a cat-back dual exhaust just for the sound, but haven't felt like I needed to boost the power at all... tows my B-bodies just fine with a heavy duty 18 foot open car trailer.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

firefighter3931

Nice truck....congrats !  :2thumbs:

As for mods ; you've allready chipped it so now you need more air in....more air out !  ;)

A drop in K&N filter is fine...i wouldn't be spending the extra $$ for a cold air kit. Magnaflow is an excellent exhaust system....a true straight thru muffler that will let the engine exhale. The duals look cool too....i would go that route.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

pettyfan43

I haven't modded mine at all , Mine and yours are almost twins equipment wise except mine isn't a sport and has 3.55s.

BEWARE, I have a buddy that has one and he put dual exhaust with flowmasters and a K&N filter, it KILLED his gas mileage! From 16.5-17.5 which is what mine gets to down around 12.5! That's a BIG hit! I decided to leave mine alone after he told me that!  Somebody told him something about the engine being designed to use a certain amount of backpressure or something. I don't know about that, but I can't justify losing 5 MPG!!!!!!!!!!!!

69 OUR/TEA

Thanks alot so far guys,forgot to mention I do have a drop in KN filter there already.When I first got this truck I wanted to see what it got for mpg's,bone stock I filled it up ,went on about a 90 trip,mostly highway,4 of us in truck w/ac on,came home,filled up again and did the div of fuel to miles.It got 15.1 .Now I tried it with the programmer and drop in KN,2 less people in truck,but it just hit 18.Thats good enough for me considering the power it has,room inside,and tow capacity.
   As far as exhaust,people around town have the flowmaster,it's just to loud for my taste.Another friend has the 3" single side exit magnaflow,deep tone,very mellow sounding,and when stepped on it is not that much louder than stock.Have'nt heard the gibson,or for that fact any others.I have been told to keep it quiet for cabin noise and for towing purposes go with a single side system.

firefighter3931

Quote from: pettyfan43 on August 28, 2007, 09:39:28 PM
BEWARE, I have a buddy that has one and he put dual exhaust with flowmasters and a K&N filter, it KILLED his gas mileage!

Not surprised to hear that....Flowmaster is J-U-N-K !  You would be hard pressed to find a more restictive muffler than Flowbastard.  :brickwall:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Old Moparz

Hey, nice truck, especially the color.   :D

I have the same 2004 truck, (except for an 8 foot bed) & with the same drive train. I've been towing with it for 2 years, have 15,000 miles on it, & it's fine. The ride is great, the pulling power is adequate, & it handles well. It has the factory tow package & all I had to add was the brake controller under the dash to the existing harness plug. I decided not to make any mods to it & risk voiding the warranty, or increase the chance to give me problems. I would consider a dual exhaust, when & if I have to replace the original system. I did add the Westin stainless steps & an A.R.E. fiberglass cap that's the same color as the truck.

I have had minor problems with it, but all was under warranty. It's more of a hassle setting up an appointment & I have to set up another as of yesterday.  ::)

Problems so far that the dealer fixed:

• Stalled while being driven, with the scariest moment of not having the power steering & brakes while making a turn. (The dealer "flashed" the computer, which is some kind of update for it. It hasn't stalled since.)
  • Power steering leak. (Loose connection on the hose.)
  • Anti-freeze leak. (Replaced radiator cap & overflow tank.)
  • Loose outside door handles. (Passenger side, inner door sructure was reinforced & handle was tightened.)
  • Overhead interior light switch is broken. (The plastic lens is the push button & something inside is broke & still need to set up an appointment.)

I can't find the pic of the truck with the cap.  ::)

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

RangerDan440

I bought my '04 new in Oct '03.  Hemi 4X4 QC 3.55 tow package and I traded in a '95 CTD for it.  46,000 on it now and 0 problems, Im very happy with it and would buy another one in a heartbeat. I havent modified anything on it because 1) Im still paying it off and 2) I need at least one solid reliable vehicle at my house since I butchered everything else I own

69 Charger
71 Road Runner
71 Satellite sedan
73 Duster
10 Challenger R/T

Telvis

I have an 07 Hemi quad cab. I like the truck but it sucks the gas and has not been the most reliable vehicle I have owned. I just bought an 08 Corolla last week for my daily work commute. The $75+ a week gas bill was killing me. I had an exhaust leak and they had to replace one of the manifolds about a week after I bought it. At about 11K miles the power brake booster went out. The rear end has a whine in it right now. I am sure it will be another week to fix. I love the truck but have to say that the quality is not the greatest. I had a 97, 99 and a 2005 Ram that never gave me any issues. I loved all of them. Unfortunately I don't seem to be having the same luck with this one.

bill440rt

Paul,
BEST OF LUCK with your new truck! Looks really nice!

I wish I could say the same. At the end of April of this year, I traded my '98 Ram 2500 with only 52,000 miles for a new '07 Ram 2500 HEMI, Laramie Heavy Duty truck. I thought this truck was awesome, it pulled my trailer like it was never even there. Unfortunately, I've had nothing but problems since day one.
The check engine light keeps coming on. This will be the 5th time since April it will be in for service for the same problem. They've replaced the computer, sensors, etc. They've told me they adjusted the crank position sensors (is that possible?), reset codes, false leak detection codes, etc. Problem keeps coming back. It keeps coming on every 200-300 miles or so, the truck only has 2000 miles on it!!! I'm beyond getting pissed.  :mad:  Meanwhile, we purchased TWO vehicles from this dealer on the SAME DAY, who is now getting reluctant to help us.

At this point, I've proceeded with a Lemon Law claim. Not to hijack this thread, but has anyone here had any luck with a Lemon Law case?? I'd love to hear some input on this.  :shruggy:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

SnoPro440

Quote from: bill440rt on August 29, 2007, 09:52:29 AM

At this point, I've proceeded with a Lemon Law claim. Not to hijack this thread, but has anyone here had any luck with a Lemon Law case?? I'd love to hear some input on this.  :shruggy:

I won my Lemon Law case with Dodge for my 2005 SRT-10.  I went through 3 transmissions in 13,000 miles.  I went a got a lawyer that specialized in Lemon Law claims.  It took over 4 months from start to finish.  The biggest thing that I can recommend is to make sure that you have all your repair paperwork.  Make sure when you take the vehicle in and have to leave it for a few days, be sure that the work order shows the correct in and out dates.  That is why I won.  The truck was out of service for 30 days and I had the paperwork to back it up.  Sorry for the hijack as well.

Back on topic, I bought a 2006 Mega Cab 3/4 ton 4x4.  I have 26k on it now and it's been the best truck I have ever had.  I haven't done any mods to it yet, but exhuast will be coming soon.  I had a 2005 1/2 ton 4x4 quad cab that had exhaust, airaid and I programmed it with the Hypertech Power Programmer III.  My mileage dropped but that was because I couldn't keep my foot off the gas because the exhaust sounded so damn good.
2008 Viper SRT-10
1968 Charger R/T
2019 Rubicon JLU

472 R/T SE

Lots of good info. here.  http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines.com/ew/forums.asp

We've only done service on ours, a HemiSport '03.  I've yanked a trailer up to BC and Seattle and it performed flawlessly.  I would kick out the OD at the base of the hills and it only slowed a couple mph at the very beginning but would get right back up to cruise speed.  I was impressed with the fuel mileage more than anything.

69 OUR/TEA

WOW !!!  thanks alot for all the input guys!!! As with any car or truck you buy,you can only hope it gives you reliable service.My chevy truck is an 89 silverado 4x4 1500 ,350 tbi,700r4,3:42's.Bought it in 93 w/90k on it,very clean for the miles,right away put a brand new uni mount plow on it,drove daily and towed alot(open car trailers),plowed in the winters.Now has 253 k miles on it,my problems experienced with truck were:twice the t-stat stuck,cranked up to 260 for temp and blew the radiator,2 exhaust systems,ign coil,rear brake line rotted and blew(my coronet was on the trailor to boot,had to use trailor brakes to stop),replaced sloppy idler arm.Just last year at 247 k took off the original rotors and drums(one rotor split in half and fell down),still on orig motor,never had valve covers off ,not even a timing chain !!!! Front susp,diff,rear diff still orig.At 168 k removed tranny,not because it was blown,but to put into my cousins truck so he can trade it in(his was blown),he went half with me on a new one from the dealer,thats what's in there now,still going.
   Needless to say if everything blew up today,I could never complain as I never expected to get this much out of it,still driving it daily as the new ram is in the garage!!! Now for my next truck choice was : Ford,do not like the looks of them so that was out,the only Chevys I would have considered are the 03-05 crew cab 1500 HD ,to get the comparable power to the hemi would be their 300 HP 6.0 ,but had a couple people tell me to stay away from them(beleive it or not these were both chevy guys).One stated about problems,the other said it was a dog for power and did'nt impress him.Besides the fact I think the ram is the nicest looking,and if you are buying such an item ,it should be appealing to you as you are going to be looking at it for a long time(or I hope).Yes,I really like this truck so far,but I hope it gives me years of mostly trouble free service as well.I'm sorry that some of you are having these certain problems that hopefully are remedied.Bill440,I had an issue with our 03 sxt caravan with having the wrong calipers on the front and blowing thru pads,and was getting brushed away by the chrysler rep.Had to go thru Consumer Protection and after about 8 months of bull#@&* finally got Chrysler to change,and now everything is fine.Hope all goes well with your venture and it gets straightened out.
   Thanks again guys for the input and comments!!!