News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hi dollar

Started by moparstuart, August 28, 2007, 02:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charger_boy

Isn't the whole purpose of this hobby to buy the car and work on it and use this forum to guide you through the stuff you don't know---

firefighter3931

Quote from: NYCMille on August 29, 2007, 12:27:46 PM
I can safely say I probably have one of the best handling 2nd gen Charger's on the road today and believe me, it was not cheap to achieve this.

I am not saying to go out and buy an XV car, but what I am saying is that performance is not cheap - you want to play, you have to pay.

I agree Mike....your car does handle very well based on the Bull Run challenges.  :2thumbs:

Out of curiosity ; Just how much XV chassis stuff is on your car ?  :scratchchin:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

dkn1997

Quote from: 70charger_boy on August 29, 2007, 08:07:28 PM
Isn't the whole purpose of this hobby to buy the car and work on it and use this forum to guide you through the stuff you don't know---

The purpose is to enjoy the cars and share our interests with each other.   We all enjoy them in different ways. 
RECHRGED

NYCMille

firefighter3931 - the only XV stuff that is on my car are the subframe connectors, inner fender well braces and rad support. Less than $500 total - unforutnately though I am STILL waiting for under hood brace... I ordered it last SEPTEMBER!!

firefighter3931

Quote from: NYCMille on August 30, 2007, 09:12:01 AM
firefighter3931 - the only XV stuff that is on my car are the subframe connectors, inner fender well braces and rad support. Less than $500 total - unforutnately though I am STILL waiting for under hood brace... I ordered it last SEPTEMBER!!

Thanks for the Info Mike  :2thumbs:

This goes to show that the stock suspension on a B-body is pretty descent. With a few $$ and tweaks placed in the right areas the car is a very competent track machine. I allways enjoyed reading about E-Bergs Green Brick adventures....there wasn't anything exotic on that car either yet it embarressed a lot of high end Foreign cars on the twisties.....Mike's car did the same thing on Bull Run.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

NYCMille

Actually this Tues. I'm doing a track event up at Pocono Raceway with the Charger. We're going to be running the East Course all day which is a VERY tight course for a car as big as the Charger, so I should have some good pics and video by Wed. Once again we'll be one if not the ONLY musclecar running against some BIG dollar ($300k+) machines...

Screw it though... I love being the underdog..  :D

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: NYCMille on August 30, 2007, 10:24:15 AM
Actually this Tues. I'm doing a track event up at Pocono Raceway with the Charger. We're going to be running the East Course all day which is a VERY tight course for a car as big as the Charger, so I should have some good pics and video by Wed. Once again we'll be one if not the ONLY musclecar running against some BIG dollar ($300k+) machines...

Screw it though... I love being the underdog..  :D

Swwweeet!      Are you doing the XV /  Pocono event in Oct. also?
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Brock Samson

i didn't take offence Mr Angry...  :pity:  i just question if one really needs to write checks totalling 125 K to infinity to enjoy the hobby,.. or have a decent handling/performing car.
I take/took great pleasure in using as many of the junkyard parts and stuff out of the old direct connection catalog as possible to build my machine, the closer to stock the better, not to say the critical stuff isn't massaged. but allot of the yr one/paddock repro stuff i didn't even use cause it looked and felt like crap... the arm rests for example... and the front thick sway bar was noway even close to fitting...
  Like the rat rod project thing,.. i don't see how anyone could get any satisfaction from buying a done car... what's the point in that?..  :shruggy: when i started i had no desire to buy a done car I wanted to build it myself my way.
  I have no room in my garage to work on anything but in the engine compartment, the entire freakin city is at a 30 degree incline, everytime i need to jack the car up or change a tire or even check fluids i got to take her to a shop, and you know I'm getting charged for that... I so envy guys who have garages with a flat floor and more than eight inches to squeeze around their rides... let alone the tools and expertise and friends who can help, I'm pretty much a one man operation who does what little I can.
When i built, and rebuilt the skunk there was no internet, i had to physically hunt down parts in junk yards and go to/find folks who were rumored to have stuff I could use.
  like they say... the experience of meeting folks and learning, even if the hard way is priceless.

Mike DC

I see a few reasons to side with XV Motorsports in this. 

1.  XVM pursued the development of the car to a level that nobody else had yet done.  The higher you develop something, the more the costs tend to begin increasing exponentially rather than just multiplying.

2.  XVM sells all the important parts for anyone to retrofit at home.  I think that move says a lot about whether they're really trying to "shut out the little guy" and just run off the exclusivity of the thing or not.  (Sure, the individual parts are expensive too.  But at that level most small-market car parts REALLY ARE expensive to design & produce.  I'll bet the profit margins on the sold components aren't very high.)

3.  They did it with Mopars first.  Not only is that a little "yeehaa!" for the brand loyalty, but more importantly I see it as unassailable evidence that they didn't just cram '69 Camaro engineering onto B/E-bodies.  That's what you're getting from most other places, and particularly with anything this high-dollar. 

suntech

Completly agree with Mike here!
They give us that want to build our own cars, the possibillity to use their parts. Nobody can denie that we are talking about substantial amounts of money here, but as said above, we are talking about a lot of development, for a very limited number of parts! That is the whole reason for the pricetags.

Rolf
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

pettybird

Quote from: dkn1997 on August 29, 2007, 06:36:11 PM
Quote from: pettybird on August 29, 2007, 02:53:04 AM

$40K buy a new shelby GT500

$140-210K remaining:  buy anything.

that's the best of both worlds, plus one garage space, and a 3/36 warranty on the 500hp daily.  pishposh if you don't like the blue oval...it's a kick ass car.

i doubt anyone dropping better than 200 large on one of those things is gonna drive it 'daily'

that said, it's in the 'if you have to ask' column of very fine craftsmanship.  i'm sure a foose or coddington ride costs a few multiples of what they're charging...  they'll find more than a few buyers looking for something different, unique, and expensive.

agree or don't agree with the man, but he's the only one here with balls enough to use the word pishposh

I do pretty much kick ass.

autodynamics

well like it or not xv does add value to all our cars. As far as there products are concerned some products they offer i like and others i dont. I think that at least there is a company attempting to change the mopar family, cause we all know mopar guys are REAL hell bent on keeping things "stock". I'm glad to see that. I know from my personal experience that The mopar world really isnt too friendly when it comes to modifying these old cars.So  lets give a hand to xv for the attempt and not condemn them for their effort. Agreed i think a 140-250k price range is kinda crazy however i can totally see a real radical build go for 150k. When your talking premier body work, engine, suspension, wheels tires  and so on the parts alone get up there rather quickly. Then make a profit on your "TIME"well then i can see the price tag reflect it. I would rather see xv try to make a turn key base car for under 100k and a super mopar at 150k. i think these numbers are more reasonable. I just look at resale. if i bought a xv car for 200k what would it be worth in 10 years? more than 200k? i doubt it. But a more reasonable amount around 100k is feasible. mopars hit 100k now stock. I would also have to see in 10 years if xv would still be around to add value to their product. After market shops like Saleen have been doing this for years and there cars are collectable and affordable. 200k+ too much i would rather buy a lambo and atleast get some return on my 200k in the future.....However it would never be a charger!

suntech

.....However it would never be a charger!

Exactly!!!!!
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Brock Samson

:scratchchin:  well perhaps there's a divide between folks who can throw money at their cars and pay the experts and other folks who have to strictly budget and do as much themselves as possible?.. I'd rather have my frankenstein monster then some trailor queen.

an 'ol backyard resto and proud of her. 

kab69440

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 31, 2007, 05:19:22 PM
:scratchchin:  well perhaps there's a divide between folks who can throw money at their cars and pay the experts and other folks who have to strictly budget and do as much themselves as possible?.. I'd rather have my frankenstein monster then some trailor queen.

an 'ol backyard resto and proud of her. 

Frankenstein monster? Ha! You don't have a clue what building a true Frankenstein car is... :nana: By comparison, your car is a paint splotch and date code resto. You numbers freak, you! :lol:

Quote from: autodynamics on August 31, 2007, 07:15:50 AM
... cause we all know mopar guys are REAL hell bent on keeping things "stock". I'm glad to see that. I know from my personal experience that The mopar world really isnt too friendly when it comes to modifying these old cars.

Not all us, my friend. Not all of us!...
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

moparstuart

brock awesome shot of the charger and the gate & bay
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Brock Samson

:shruggy: why thank you, kind sir,..

i backed ass end in accross two handicapped spaces and blocked access to the info. signs,.. and by the look on the P.C. tourist's faces  in attendance ya' would'a thought i had just unlocked the gates to Hell...  :shruggy:  :lol:

here's another from that series..