News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

best grass in shaded area

Started by hemi68charger, August 28, 2007, 08:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..

Any grass-gurus out there? I've got a few spots in my yards in which the general St. Augustine grass just isn't doing too great due to the lack of constant direct sunshine.. One spot is around the carport which has a big oak tree next to it..... What grass seed can I spread that'll do well in the shaded area? It does get some direct sunlight around noon.......

Thanks for any help...
Cheers......
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Khyron

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 28, 2007, 08:17:47 AM
Hey gang..

Any grass-gurus out there? I've got a few spots in my yards in which the general St. Augustine grass just isn't doing too great due to the lack of constant direct sunshine.. One spot is around the carport which has a big oak tree next to it..... What grass seed can I spread that'll do well in the shaded area? It does get some direct sunlight around noon.......

Thanks for any help...
Cheers......
Troy

:icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

seriously though... I've had this problem and I was able to get a shade mix from the local Ace hardware store. It is very hard to grow anything under a maple, but this stuff took very well, just keep watering the hell out of it.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Khyron on August 28, 2007, 08:27:39 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on August 28, 2007, 08:17:47 AM
Hey gang..

Thanks for any help...
Cheers......
Troy

:icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

seriously though... I've had this problem and I was able to get a shade mix from the local Ace hardware store. It is very hard to grow anything under a maple, but this stuff took very well, just keep watering the hell out of it.

Funny.......... Very funny.......  I like it........   But, dont tell anyone, I have 1.5 years of my enlistment still....... lol  Can't touch the stuff let along grow it in my front lawn.. lol

I'll investigate shade mix........

Thanks......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Skued

If your not set on turf grass you might think about Hostas or Monkey grass.  Both are shade loving plants and provide great cover.

Hosta

Monkey grass
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Silver R/T

do you have sprinkler system? I have very good results with Kentucky blue grass. Also I like to buy few smaller (5lb) grass bags and mixing them together and then seeding. You get very nice lawn that way
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bear

i work at a garden center and we tell people to go with a landscaper mix it will work fine for where you need it and if you ever have spots in the middle of your yard die out it will work fine there as well plus it will come up faster then a shade mix will

moparjohn

You need a mix heavy in Fescue, Creeping, Chewings or Tall.  Stay away from Bluegrass- it's a sun grass.
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

dodgecharger-fan

I've been trying to figure out (for years) why this stuff hasn't caught on: http://www1.zoysiafarms.com/whatsspecial.html

Then there's always this solution: http://www.synlawn.ca

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on August 29, 2007, 12:31:16 PM
I've been trying to figure out (for years) why this stuff hasn't caught on: http://www1.zoysiafarms.com/whatsspecial.html

Mostly it turns brown early and stays brown until summer.    I have some in my backyard.     Yeah, it's like a plush green rug once summer hits but it looks like crap in the front yard that people want to look nice year round.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

dodgecharger-fan

Ah! That explains it. I've always wondered. The hype sounds great - slow growing, hardy, plush.....