News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Charger will not start. Help !

Started by BMOTOXSTAR, August 27, 2007, 11:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMOTOXSTAR

Oh no, here we go,
    Well last week my Charger was not sounding correct when starting. Go to find that the starter I put in last Fall was loose. So I tighten it up.
Of course it stated better, still did not sound right. So I put it away in the garage.
    I go to start it the other day & it will not turn over. I checked the ballast, ignition box, I even though I may have run it out of gas. Add gas, nothing. I even dumped some gas in the carb, nothing. Went and got a new battery, no dice. :brickwall:
    WTF should I try next.  :shruggy:
The Charger ran well the last few times I have drove it. I know that it could use some plugs. If I ran the gas out could it just need primed? I tried starting it so many times that I wore the new battery down. :rotz: 
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Brock Samson

ballast resistor comes to mind.  :shruggy: that was my mystery problem.... i also went thru three starters before i bought the mini starter and wrapped it...

70charger_boy

BMOTOXSTAR

I tried that, not a new one but an old one I had that I know was not bad. :shruggy:
Could have something got messed when that starter came loose?
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

BMOTOXSTAR

Quote from: 70charger_boy on August 27, 2007, 11:53:13 PM
Neutral safety switch

Nope.If the NSS is bad it will not even turn over. It will turn over but no start. What could cause no spark if that might be it? :scratchchin:
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

71ChallengeHer

70charger_boy

Well, if you put fuel down the carb and still didn't get it to start then it is a spark prob.  Check your ignition coil and dist 

68 CHARGER R/T

i had a similair problem with my 68 a few years ago.i would be driving it and it would quit on me. sometimes even if it was parked it would just crank over and not start. took a while to figuire it out but it was my orange ecu box that was defective.

firefighter3931

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on August 27, 2007, 11:47:00 PM
    I go to start it the other day & it will not turn over.

Check your battery cable connections....make sure they are tight. If it still won't turn over try jumping it at the starter relay switch.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

bull

Did you get a click and it won't crank? Maybe the starter's drive pinion gear is stuck on the starter ring or the solenoid is stuck. If some of these other suggestions don't work maybe try pulling the starter out a bit and bump the switch to see if it's engaging.

BMOTOXSTAR

The motor turns but it seems like no spark. I am going to check the starter wires (cause the starter was loose, then all this happened.)
I guess if that does not work then Pull a plug out & test for spark? :shruggy:
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

firefighter3931

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on August 28, 2007, 09:09:44 PM
The motor turns but it seems like no spark. I am going to check the starter wires (cause the starter was loose, then all this happened.)
I guess if that does not work then Pull a plug out & test for spark? :shruggy:

Your previous post said it wouldn't turn over....now it does but won't fire ? Just trying to figure out wht is the correct info here  :shruggy:

Assuming that it turns over the next thing to check is spark. Pull the coil wire and see if it has spark going into the cap. If so, check for spark coming out of the cap and work your way back to the plugs.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BMOTOXSTAR

Sorry, :pity:
  What I mean is that it will want to start, turn over, but no fire or fuel,it is like trying to start a car that is out of gas, does that make sense? :shruggy:
I am really not that good at working on my Charger sometimes. I can do the basics and that is about it. :shruggy:
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

twinscrew698

Almost had the same thing happen to me except for the starter issue!
Started fine all this time until one day would not start ,thought was Ignition switch,done some checking cause it acted like it was Ballast ,Wanted to start when turning key in off position just for a split second...Done some more checking and found that the wires going to the Ballast were loose not getting good contact.
Make sure wires on on good and tight might try to bypass ballast if wires are tight just to check for a bad ballast ( new Ballast is 5 to 7 dollars)

I think Nacho had a good post on which wires to bypass to check for Ballast...

If no fuel.. could be fuel pump or out of fuel! I know sounds stupid but i ran out of Fuel also thinking i had enough in Tank Duhh!!! ended up Rebuilding Carb!!!

Hope this helps some !!! good luck

deputycrawford

You still mention no fuel and no fire. I take it you mean no spark. Pull the fuel line off the carb, put the end in a gas can and turn the engine over. If it does not pump fuel then check you fuel pump push rod. If no spark, check coil and distributor. Make sure the distributor is turning etc. Then check or change the ECU box.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

BMOTOXSTAR

Thanks for all the help. :cheers:
A buddy of mine came over and we took a volt meter to the electrical & we traced it to the distributor. I had a dist for a 440 so he took it apart and some metal plate in the dist I had is bad (400 dist) . The shaft is longer on the 440 dist he says, :shruggy:
So we are going to use the plate thing from the 440 dist & put it in the 400 dist.
I have no idea what he did but he tore apart the 2 dist's and is going to fix the 400 dist with the 440 dist parts. I am really not good with this end of things so he is going to put it all together this weekend and I hope the Charger starts. :2thumbs:
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

deputycrawford

Good to know. Hey, I just had my first race in 8 years. It was a 1 hour grand prix race. It is a dead engine start. By the time I got it started everyone was off the front section and in the woods. By the end of the race I had made up the 1/4 lap and even passed a third of the field. I felt pretty good. I am scared my addiction is coming back. How do you handle something like this? I am afraid It will take over my life again. HELP ME!!! All I think about is my 69 Charger and my 2004 YZ450F.  I am in trouble aren't I?
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

BMOTOXSTAR

sounds like you did a GNCC or Hare Scramble. The bikes will never leave your soul.  :2thumbs:
I thought I could give up the Motocross addiction but I am going to the Honda dealer this winter & picking up a leftover 07' CRF450 for me &  07' Honda 50 for my daughter.  :mcride:
Glad to hear you did good in the race. :cheers:
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

71 B5383

See Kernel,that was easy wasn't it.Keep those 440 dizzy parts together,the plate and vacuum advance are a matched set.The one from the 400 had the arm at a different angle,that's why we couldn't use it with the plate from the 440 dizzy.Must be an older unit or one that was pieced toether or something,been a while.Next time we'll crank up the distributor a bit more til it starts gettin stupid then back it off a little.But it runs real strong now on the bottom end.Kicks down better too when you nail it. :cheers:
Should've Kept My '66,That Was 6 Cars Ago
Currently-
  Rust Free 71(383,GB5,HardTop) Charger
  Soon To Be An FJ5 Stock 69 440 Magnum'd 3.55'd
   Correct "LOOKING" Super Wanna Bee
        (by the way,gotta 71 Super Bee hood 4 sale?)
           some cash and my 72 Power Bulge hood?

BMOTOXSTAR

Thanks for the help Gilbert. You are the man. :cheers:
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

71ChallengeHer

BMOTOXSTAR

Me too, was really worried.  :yesnod:
I am not the best with most of the mechanics, just basic maintenance, & to hear the Charger fire up again made my day.
After my pal helped my get my Charger started I decided to put my Rally stripe kit on all by myself. :icon_smile_big:
I will post some pic's later today. I am going to be asking a bunch of questions about decals :D :slap: now.
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT