News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

how bad is the cancer in this 72 Charger Rallye?

Started by runninhorn, August 27, 2007, 07:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runninhorn

Sellers says, "not much at all"

Me thinks its more than I can see. How much do you think it has from these pics? How $$$$ am I looking at to have it repaired? This rust is the only thing keeping me from buying this car.

runninhorn

that grill looks 'off' is that normal or could something have happened to that right front end?

Challenger340

I understand your concern. It's NOT what you're seeing, it's what you can't see in behind.
I'm guessing, but if you are gonna keep the car, full 1/4's may be a good idea, if for no ther reason to be able to repair properly in behind in other areas that can't be seen, like the wheel lips etc., up top.

Just my opinion.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

rt green

how many thousands do they have to have for it? it would make our job alot easier to answer  your questions. looks like a nice car to own though. what engine and trans?
third string oil changer

runninhorn

Quote from: rt green on August 27, 2007, 08:38:39 PM
how many thousands do they have to have for it? it would make our job alot easier to answer  your questions. looks like a nice car to own though. what engine and trans?

were asking $21.5k, now want $17.5k, i was thinking of offering $15k.

Goldfinger71

I don't think the car needs quarters.The rust you see is typical and patches are made for that area.
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

runninhorn

can a patch come out to look as good as a new quarter?

RD

Quote from: runninhorn on August 27, 2007, 09:06:46 PM
can a patch come out to look as good as a new quarter?

no, but have fun trying to find a full quarter for that application, only skins (not that good of quality either) and patches are a helluvalot cheaper.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Goldfinger71

You may be suprised at the amount of 3rd gens out there with patchwork........ALOT! :yesnod:
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Silver R/T

looks like lower 1/4's need to be replaced along with trunk extensions
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

hemi-hampton

At least it has Trunk Extensions. Compared the the Rust Bucket Garbage I see here in Michigan that looks pretty nice. LEON. :scratchchin:

BMOTOXSTAR

Those center caps are the incorrect year centers. :yesnod:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

terrible one

That doesn't appear to be anything all too bad. As you can see, it's nothing caked over with bondo or anything, so basically what you're seeing is what you're getting, you know?

AKcharger

Yup pretty normal for 15K good. and there are no '71/'72 rear 1/4 patch panels that I know of (if some one knows a souce let me know) so that is a major concern. Also the door inserts are wrong they should be "strobes" not all black...they got the hood right though!

I say good deal for 15K, not so good at 17.5 and bad deal over 20K

JMF

Seems a bit expensive in my opinion, tell him you're a bodyman by trade and you can detect a whole lot of rust under there, he'll soon come down in price

TruckDriver

Quote from: JMF on August 28, 2007, 04:12:05 AM
tell him you're a bodyman by trade and you can detect a whole lot of rust under there, he'll soon come down in price

That only works if the seller doesn't know anything about body work. It can back fire quickly by saying that.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

twilt

I don`t think the rust is that bad. Its what I consider to be typical minor rust for a 35 year old car. Absolutely no need to start replacing complete 1/4 panels. Given the limited rust damage, I dont see any need for anything more than hand made patches. New trunk extensions would be nice and are reproduced but you would probably find out that they are so incorrect and poor fitting that salvaging the old ones is more than likely the way to go. 

As far as price, I absolutely would not pay 15k for it. I believe that we are really starting into a buyers market. The seller is a classic auto dealer.... they never have good prices.  I think that many people are overly enamored by the shiny blue paint when judging the value. Frankly, from my perspective the car might as well be painted flat black with a brush. Engine compartment is blacked out, trunk is splatter painted GM style. From a restoration stand point, the car was poorly done as far as the details.  Once the 1/4 work is done, the car will need a complete repaint. In my opinion, it would look better if it was put back original GA4   

Doubt the seller will take 15k for it. It bid up to 15.1 , reserve not met already. 

TeeWJay426

That cancer looks bad enough that I'd say 15K is too much to pay........ don't think I'd go much beyond 12K myself.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

1972Rallye

Quote from: twilt on August 28, 2007, 06:20:28 AM
I don`t think the rust is that bad. Its what I consider to be typical minor rust for a 35 year old car. Absolutely no need to start replacing complete 1/4 panels. Given the limited rust damage, I dont see any need for anything more than hand made patches. New trunk extensions would be nice and are reproduced but you would probably find out that they are so incorrect and poor fitting that salvaging the old ones is more than likely the way to go. 

As far as price, I absolutely would not pay 15k for it. I believe that we are really starting into a buyers market. The seller is a classic auto dealer.... they never have good prices.  I think that many people are overly enamored by the shiny blue paint when judging the value. Frankly, from my perspective the car might as well be painted flat black with a brush. Engine compartment is blacked out, trunk is splatter painted GM style. From a restoration stand point, the car was poorly done as far as the details.  Once the 1/4 work is done, the car will need a complete repaint. In my opinion, it would look better if it was put back original GA4   

Doubt the seller will take 15k for it. It bid up to 15.1 , reserve not met already. 

:iagree:   100% with everything you said.

GA4 would look awesome!  This is a 440 Rallye car with air and other nice options, but it needs some work (including complete repaint) to make right.

runninhorn

1972Rallye

Quote from: runninhorn on August 28, 2007, 09:01:08 AM
what is GA4?

Light Gunmetal Metallic... same color on a '71 R/T:

RallyeMike

Did someone say its "Not caked with bondo?" What about the second photo of the rocker?

All in all it looks reasonably rust free underneath except the the typical quarter rot, but there may be quite a bit hidden since it has already clearly been worked over. What about the other typical rust spots - fender bottoms, truck lip, cowl, and door corners ?

I would add what it will take to do a complete repaint with multiple patch panels and then ask yourself if you want to spend that much for the car. If it's what you want for that TOTAL cost, then go for it.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

High Impact

Looks alot nicer than my 72 Rallye.  Lower Michigan winters ate up her quarters and truck floor extentions pretty good.

NHCharger

Shiny paint can hide alot, just ask me how I know. Those quarters don't look bad, probably just need the lower sections replaced. Passenger side rocker looks like it took a hit, wonder how much mud is behind the paint. Very poor repair job.
15k uh? I'm a total 3rd gen lover, but I'd have a hard time coughing up that much money for that car. Is it #'s matching?
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel