News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

getting tired of the term "survivor"

Started by runninhorn, August 27, 2007, 05:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

It's not the words or terms that cause the problems it's the misuse of them and the incorrect meaning assigned to them by less than honest people trying to make more money off people than they deserve. I know I'll never read the words "easy father/son project" again without a red flag going up.

70charger_boy

Quote from: bull on August 29, 2007, 04:12:54 AM
It's not the words or terms that cause the problems it's the misuse of them and the incorrect meaning assigned to them by less than honest people trying to make more money off people than they deserve. I know I'll never read the words "easy father/son project" again without a red flag going up.

:iagree:, but I actually think it's good when a dishonest person uses the term.  I have been looking at cars on ebay for at least 4 years and when I hear certain words my red flag comes up.  When you read the whole ad and it contains words like father and son project, has great potential, survivor, one re paint 10 years ago, restoration I just walk away.  A person who is honest, like myself, will list the good with the bad. 

Chris G.

Quote from: chargerjy9 on August 28, 2007, 07:58:41 PM
I like the term Survivor, my 73 has only 8200 miles on it. factory installed everything , except mufflers, water pump, battery and heater control valve. it has new wiperblades, new tires and belts. the originals are off the car and stored away. orig paint, even the floormats are a factory option. In my mind, the term fits, although, admittedly  the only thing my Charger really survived was 30 years sitting indoors.

I would also love to see some good pics of that car. Can you post a few?  :yesnod:

RallyeMike

QuoteHow long did it take you to type that 

Not long. Cut and paste + the power of doubling growth.

People latch onto any phrase that they think will help increase the sales value of the car.

Survivor, numbers matching, original, 1 of X, rare, .....etc.    You arent going to find these terms as they relate to cars in the dictionary, so they are mostly subjective. 
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

rav440

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on August 27, 2007, 05:30:45 PM
HALPG has perfect examples of "survivors" :D

what is HALPG ?

From the crusher that is :smilielol:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Old Moparz

I'm tired of the term as well, but it doesn't really bug me as much as a misleading ad from someone who's intentionally out to screw the buyer. If 25 people show interest in a "survivor" that's been advertised, maybe 20 of them will figure out it's just another old car that's been done over. The other 5 might be naive enough to fall for the marketing the seller used, & that's what he's hoping for. Maybe one of the 5 has the cash & is excited enough over the hype to actually buy it.

I guess the term "survivor" is a newer & safer word to use since most people have figured out that "original" is too defining. There's less of a chance that the seller will look like a moron & be called out on it.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

dkn1997

HLPAG sells good cars......for me to poop on!
RECHRGED

bull

Ronald Reagan was fond of the term "trust but verify" in dealing with the Russians and that logic works well when making any big purchase. A seller can use all the fancy words they want and post more pictures than you can stand to look at but until you see the car in person there's no real way to verify their claims.

chargerjy9

I think I have some images here of my  "survivor" as discussed previously

1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 4 bbl,727, survivor
1977 AMC Pacer original
2011 Dodge charger R/T Max

Dodge Don

I agree the term is being used far too freely these days. Same as "restoration"....most actually aren't restored but cosmetic or mechanical upkeep efforts.

I think a "Survivor" should be a immaculate unmolested car that can be used as a reference for factory correct restorations.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 1972Rallye on August 30, 2007, 07:43:51 AM
Now THIS is a survivor...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Charger-1972-DODGE-CHARGER-RALLYE-S-MATCH-440-34K-MILES_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6199QQihZ012QQitemZ220145024191QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

No doubt !!!!!

I like the term as differentiation between other cars.. In its truest sense, it does has a place in the hobby.. Having owned one, I can appreciate the meaning and the effort in keeping it as such. But, unfortunately, not all use the word as it should.

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Dennis

I'm sick of it too.  Rare is usually crap too.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: chargerjy9 on August 30, 2007, 08:26:58 PM
I think I have some images here of my  "survivor" as discussed previously

HEEEY, I REMEMBER THIS CAR FROM EBAY ABOUT 3-4 YEARS AGO!!! I saved the engine bay pics for reference. As far I recall was something like just 7K miles on it, or less!!!

what I didn't know is what it had tail "machine gun" tips... SE 400 with those ? not common !!!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

chargerjy9

I have owned this car since July 03. If it was on Ebay, it was before that.  When I bought it, it had 2,765 miles on it. I didnt realize that those exhaust tips were rare for a SE 400 car, I had a new one in 1973 with the same set up
1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 4 bbl,727, survivor
1977 AMC Pacer original
2011 Dodge charger R/T Max

Nacho-RT74

yeah... less than 3K miles... I had forgott exactly the miles on it, but know was REALLY low.

Exhaust tips are part of equipment on auto 340 and 440 Rallyes.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

GreenMachine

How about this Un-Restored car.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

remta1

Quote from: pettybird on August 29, 2007, 03:10:08 AM
my  'birds aren't pretty, but they look battered enough that people ask all the time if they're survivors.

i was on power tour and had heard the question one too many times.  guy asked me if it was a survivor, and i replied "nope--I'm afraid this one didn't make it."

not surprisingly, he didn't get it.

:lol: :lol:

Todd Wilson

nakita7

I say we vote the term off the island... :smilielol: :smilielol:

Doright

Quote from: pettybird on August 29, 2007, 03:10:08 AM
my  'birds aren't pretty, but they look battered enough that people ask all the time if they're survivors.

i was on power tour and had heard the question one too many times.  guy asked me if it was a survivor, and i replied "nope--I'm afraid this one didn't make it."

not surprisingly, he didn't get it.

ThatsFunny!!!!!!!!!!!!
LMAO
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more