News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

getting tired of the term "survivor"

Started by runninhorn, August 27, 2007, 05:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runninhorn

seems like every old car I see that isnt a rust bucket is deemed a survivor, term is getting old and over-used in my opinion. Discuss.

Brock Samson

in my Opinion:

could be anycar not substancialy changed with after market or replacment parts, strickly stock not repainted... IMO..
i do belive my RR qualifies with just new shocks and tires, piepan and trunk matt... But i'm sure "someone" would (try to) rain on my parade... God knows ya' allways do..  :D

TruckDriver

HALPG has perfect examples of "survivors" :D

From the crusher that is :smilielol:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

runninhorn

Steve P.

I would say it is anything that has survived the odds period.

Old School, man...   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

70charger_boy

Well, I like the word Survivor.  It was the name of a rock group in the 80's remember eye of the tiger?  Anyway, my 75 trans am is a survivor.  Original paint original interior matching numbers motor, tranny and rear.  No rebuilds.  Car is a 6 out of 10, IMO. 

Basically, what I am saying is that, a survivor is a car that looks real good for it's age without a restoration.  That includes a non rebuilt motor and original paint.

69 OUR/TEA

I'll go with Brock on this one,it should have orig paint and be stock other than having the normal wear and tear items fixed or replaced. BUT !!!!.... in my eyes,the cars that are being displayed as a survivor should be nice orig paint,NOT faded,dings,dents ,scratches,grungy and grimey engine compartments,etc. How many so-called survivors with faded paint ,rust or rot bubbles  being dubbed as.It's to late ,I'm sorry to tell you just restore it now.When I see one of those examples ,near mint,what are being called survivors,I think of it more as a time capsule amongst anything,because of its obvious preservation.As far as being a survivor,IMO,all of our cars which are nearing 40 years old,if they're still  here,they're all SURVIVORS !!!!!
   On another note,my 24 k orig mile 68 coronet 440 at only 13k miles had a dirty eng comp,paint peeling off the motor,faded chrome on the bumpers,chips, scratches,some dings,and burn thru spots from where the previous owner tried buffing the piss thin orig acrylic enamel.My taste is more for nicely painted and detailed eng compartments,suspensions,and nice straight bodys with sanded and buffed deep looking urethane paint jobs,so apart it went to do such as.I posted a pic of a survivor 71 hemi chally w/15 k orig miles,this thing was like a time capsule,and even though it has the orange peely acrylic enamel,it was mint !!!,so with everyone throwing around survivor,that takes away from his parade per say.Geuss you know my answer to this topic of "getting tired of the term survivor" !!!
         Also gotta love those 1 of  7 made,or 1 of 5 made, 1 of 2.....  There were 1920 superbirds produced,if you have one ,you have 1 of 1920. 2724 AAR's if you have one, you have 1 of 2724,etc. One of the reasons I dropped my sub to MCG,tired of reading that on the cover every month,along with feeding the fire about the values of these cars.

Ghoste

I do like looking at the survivor cars at the bigger shows and to be honest, I also like the term just because those creepy Vette freaks think no one else should be allowed to use it.

Challenger340

Yeah, I dunno what "survivor" means anymore.
Somebody called mine a "survivor" recently.
I call it a freak'in WRECK !
Even though much is still "looking good", from 50 ft., by the time I make it better, I'd have to replace everything anyways !

Only wimps wear Bowties !

runninhorn

i just think it's overused, I guess in all the cars I look at, i see it used all the time.

70charger_boy

I think one of the most overused terms is RT or RT/SE, followed by Ground up restoration, then survivor

hemi-hampton

I dont like when a cars been repainted &/or totally restored & then they still try to call it a Survivor because been repainted 10 times but original color, or #'s dont match but still a survivor because it's a 440 , who cares if out of a Station Wagon & the chrome mags dont count. :flame: :RantExplode: :shruggy: LEON.

70charger_boy

Quote from: hemi-hampton on August 27, 2007, 11:30:56 PM
I dont like when a cars been repainted &/or totally restored & then they still try to call it a Survivor because been repainted 10 times but original color, or #'s dont match but still a survivor because it's a 440 , who cares if out of a Station Wagon & the chrome mags dont count. :flame: :RantExplode: :shruggy: LEON.

:iagree:  I ran across an ad on craigslist for a "Survivor" car.  The guy wanted way too much money.  I was curious and went to see it.  The paint looked good, but I knew it was a repaint.  I asked him if he had it painted.  He said this is the original paint.  Car was in a garage for 20 years.  Well, when I opened the drivers door I noticed overspray on the weatherstrip.  I told him that I didn't think the overspray came from the factory

JMF

Hahahaha "Creepy vette freaks", what's that about Ghoste?

hemihead

Lots of terms are thrown around like restored . Didn't know the factory put Centerlines, 50 Series tires, Holley Double Pumper,MP Valve Covers,and a huge cam in them.Most people don't even know why they put certain parts on a car other that the fact that everyone else has them .  Rare, well by the number that you see on the internet , they aren't that rare. Musclecar, love this term. Seems everything, with any engine, on any model made between 64 and 74 is a musclecar. Didn't know that slant sixes and 318 cars were performance cars. Bet Ma Mopar didn't know that when they built them either.I think the use of these terms have more to do with trying to sell a car than anything else. Or maybe an ego thing with the owner.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Mike DC

If you listen to younger kids who dig modern cars & imports, just about any RWD american car that's old enough to have chrome bumpers is liable to be called a "musclecar." 

Seriously, they'll use that term referring to an 80's Caprice Classic.

Brock Samson

it's true, anything with a v-8 and real wheel drive is gonna be called that by kids that drive rice. 302 75 Nova? sure it's a muscle car...
but as far as the term "survivor" is concerned it means many things to many people just like original, "sure it's "original" the original block is in the garage, or in my other car"...  :lol:

Ghoste

Quote from: JMF on August 28, 2007, 04:15:19 AM
Hahahaha "Creepy vette freaks", what's that about Ghoste?

It's an inside joke with myself and a couple of others.  The part about bugging them over the use of the survivor tag is true though.

68charger383

I would say survivor is anything you buy off a grandma whose to old to drive it anymore.
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

chargerjy9

I like the term Survivor, my 73 has only 8200 miles on it. factory installed everything , except mufflers, water pump, battery and heater control valve. it has new wiperblades, new tires and belts. the originals are off the car and stored away. orig paint, even the floormats are a factory option. In my mind, the term fits, although, admittedly  the only thing my Charger really survived was 30 years sitting indoors.
1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 4 bbl,727, survivor
1977 AMC Pacer original
2011 Dodge charger R/T Max

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: chargerjy9 on August 28, 2007, 07:58:41 PM
I like the term Survivor, my 73 has only 8200 miles on it. factory installed everything , except mufflers, water pump, battery and heater control valve. it has new wiperblades, new tires and belts. the originals are off the car and stored away. orig paint, even the floormats are a factory option. In my mind, the term fits, although, admittedly  the only thing my Charger really survived was 30 years sitting indoors.

need pics........ judging by your name,it's JY9.I restored a 73 duster for someone JY9,nice color!!!

RallyeMike

All of my rides are "Survivors" compared to the the hundreds of thousands that have been crushed.

Survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor !!!!!!!

How do you feel now?

:eek2:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

70charger_boy

Quote from: RallyeMike on August 28, 2007, 08:30:55 PM
All of my rides are "Survivors" compared to the the hundreds of thousands that have been crushed.

Survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor, survivor survivor, survivor, survivor !!!!!!!

How do you feel now?

How long did it take you to type that  :popcrn:

runninhorn

Quote from: RallyeMike on August 28, 2007, 08:30:55 PM

How do you feel now?

like i did 2 secs ago.

pettybird

my  'birds aren't pretty, but they look battered enough that people ask all the time if they're survivors.

i was on power tour and had heard the question one too many times.  guy asked me if it was a survivor, and i replied "nope--I'm afraid this one didn't make it."

not surprisingly, he didn't get it.