News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what do you guys recomend for a new carb?

Started by MikeMacCham, August 27, 2007, 05:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeMacCham

right now we have a 750 holley on my car, the car has a  440, bored 40 over. anyone have a good recommendation for a carburetor the will clear the hood when it closes? I think we were looking at a holley 750 street.
"YOU MEAN SHINANIGANS!?"

Hot_Rodder

IMO I'd look into the BG Speed Demon, had one on my 440 in my '69 Charger with a 1" spacer and a 14"x3" drop base filter, had good clearance, could still sit a standard socket on top of the air clearer and, gently, close the hood without interferance.... The one I ran is the Speed Demon 750 cfm electric choke with vacuum secondaries (they're called the "VE" series).....
http://www.barrygrant.com/demon/default.aspx?page=10 The main page, and
http://www.barrygrant.com/demon/default.aspx?page=5 for the selection guide....
On the other hand, some people here don't seem to care for the Demon line up.... But I didn't have any problems with mine, and I like the main bodies more than Holley, these seem to be more streamlined..... :Twocents:

zerfetzen

What kind of intake do you have on there?  That should make more difference than the carb as to hood clearance.  For example, I had a 440 in a 74 Barracuda, and it had a Victor intake, and Holley 750dp on top.  The carb hit the hood when it closed because the intake was so tall (6" I think).  But that never would've happened with an M1.
Current Daily Driver: 2006 Dodge Charger RT
Current Project: 1969 Dodge Charger
Previous Cars I want back: 1974 Barracuda, 1973 Cuda

Hot_Rodder

Quote from: zerfetzen on August 27, 2007, 06:15:38 PM
What kind of intake do you have on there?  That should make more difference than the carb as to hood clearance.  For example, I had a 440 in a 74 Barracuda, and it had a Victor intake, and Holley 750dp on top.  The carb hit the hood when it closed because the intake was so tall (6" I think).  But that never would've happened with an M1.

Knew I forgot about something ::). The intake I was running was, at first, a factory intake, and then upgraded to a Holley SD aluminum intake. I think the Eddy Performer RPM will clear too, as long as you don't have a spacer b/c the intake is taller than factory...

Ghoste

A point worth mentioning on a question like this is that the Holley fuel inlets are at a 45 degree angle down from the float bowls allowing the air cleaner to sit lower than the Carter style where the fuel inlet is at 90 degrees.  You can get the banjo fitting for the Eddycarters but it's more restrictive than a straight in approach.

Challenger340

I vote Holley 4150 H.P. series, downleg booster, if it's mechanical secondary, or, the 3310 750 if it's a vacuum secondary.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

MikeMacCham

torker 440 manifold, as far as clearance issues... :popcrn:
"YOU MEAN SHINANIGANS!?"

firefighter3931

Holley 750 dper with 4 corner idle is all you need, inmo. List # 4779 works great with a mild 440. Use a 3in drop base air cleaner and you're good for hood clearance.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chatt69chgr

Hey Ron----why would you go with the double pumper over the vacuum secondary?  And what does 4 corner idle do for you?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on August 28, 2007, 02:35:20 PM
Hey Ron----why would you go with the double pumper over the vacuum secondary?  And what does 4 corner idle do for you?

Chatt,

The double pumpers are more responsive.....no lag when you drop the hammer !  :icon_smile_big: The 4 corner idle allows you to set the idle mixture using all 4 venturies as opposed to using just the primaries. This helps with tuning making it easier to achieve a nice clean idle. The 4 corner idle also helps with bigger than stock cams when it comes time to tune.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

jg68

I agree with Ron, get a DPer, as to answer your ?, 4 corner idle means you have mix screws in each corner of the metering blocks vs. just the front 2, so you can get a better idle quality with a perf. cam with more adjustability, The DPer is more of a performance style carb, it has a richer metering system then the vacuum sec. carbs, now the 3310 750 perfoorms very well for being a vacuum secondary, you can tune them to work well, but the DPer gets the fuel curve in alot quicker for better performance.

Hot_Rodder

Here's the double pumper line up at Jeg's:
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_746470_-1_10271

A comparable model, IMO:
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_45492_-1
-or-
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_345718_-1 with Annular Boosters

Up to you, I like them all, but that's me. By the way, are you wanting to keep the choke? Even though I'm gonna keep my Charger on the street, the carb I'm planning on going with doesn't have a choke tower. But then again, I live in south Georgia, so... It doesn't really get cold enough, any more, to really need a choke. My '69 R/T that I had with a #3310, I never had the choke set right, because it didn't really need it, so.... ::)

69chargerboy

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 28, 2007, 09:44:35 PM

Chatt,

The double pumpers are more responsive.....no lag when you drop the hammer !  :icon_smile_big: The 4 corner idle allows you to set the idle mixture using all 4 venturies as opposed to using just the primaries. This helps with tuning making it easier to achieve a nice clean idle. The 4 corner idle also helps with bigger than stock cams when it comes time to tune.  ;)

Ron

Ron, I also have a mildly built 440. But I have an Edelbrock Performer RPM dual-plane intake. Do I also need a drop base air cleaner with a Holley double pumper?
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

Hot_Rodder

I know I'm not Ron... But I'd figured that it wouldn't hurt if I threw my :Twocents: in there :shruggy:. The drop base air filter is to give you additional hood clearance for taller intakes and/or taller air filters. The question of, do you need one would be based on, which car, and how tall of an air filter?

zerfetzen

I don't know if this helps or not, but here goes:

Minimum Square Inches of Air Filter = CID x RPM Redline / 20839
Ex.: 137 = 440 x 6500 / 20839

Minimum Height of a Round Air Filter = Minimum Square Inches / (Air Filter Diameter x Pi + 0.75)
With a 14 inch diameter round air filter: 3.87 = 137 / (14 x 3.14159 + 0.75)

...assuming you want a standard round air filter of course.  Cheers.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 69chargerboy on August 29, 2007, 05:36:49 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 28, 2007, 09:44:35 PM

Chatt,

Ron

Ron, I also have a mildly built 440. But I have an Edelbrock Performer RPM dual-plane intake. Do I also need a drop base air cleaner with a Holley double pumper?

Yes, a 14x3 airfilter assembly with a 1 1/4in drop base is what you want. I've recommended that aircleaner to several members using the RPM dual plane and holley dp carb....fit's fine under a second gen hood.  :2thumbs:

Worth noting ; carbs that have a choke horn will benefit from a flo-thru top....because when you use a drop base the lid comes closer to the choke horn and will create some restriction. A flo thru filter top allows air to come in from the side as well as the top. Just something to consider when ordering parts.  :yesnod:

Ron

zerfetzen

K&N's math says you'll want a 14x4 air filter, or taller.  However, you can get away with a 14x2.313 if you use a filtered top, instead of the standard metal top.  Of course that's assuming there's still some room between the top and the hood.  There should be.