News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electric fule pump overheating

Started by Aussi440, August 24, 2007, 05:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aussi440

Guys, I am new to the site, I have a 68 Dodge Charger, in Ohio.  440, 4 speed, I put air on the car with a Bouchillon Performance bracket for the compressor,so I can't run the stock mechanical fuel pump.  I had a Holley electric on there that ran fine but was way too loud, I put on a "cheapy" from Discount Auto Parts to see what would happen.  I have the pump mounted correct below the level of the tank to create a siphon.  After about 30 minutes of driving the pump overheats and the car dies.  If I wait a few minutes it will work again and the car will run.  I have a 5/16 line coming out of the tank and a 3/8 up to the carb with a regulator.  I am wondering whether...

1)  The pump is just a cheapy and can't handle the workload?
2)  The 5/16 line can't pull enough to push into the 3/8 line?
3)  I see some guys recommend the Mallory 4140, any ideas?

jg68

Quote from: Aussi440 on August 24, 2007, 05:04:50 PM
Guys, I am new to the site, I have a 68 Dodge Charger, in Ohio.  440, 4 speed, I put air on the car with a Bouchillon Performance bracket for the compressor,so I can't run the stock mechanical fuel pump.  I had a Holley electric on there that ran fine but was way too loud, I put on a "cheapy" from Discount Auto Parts to see what would happen.  I have the pump mounted correct below the level of the tank to create a siphon.  After about 30 minutes of driving the pump overheats and the car dies.  If I wait a few minutes it will work again and the car will run.  I have a 5/16 line coming out of the tank and a 3/8 up to the carb with a regulator.  I am wondering whether...

1)  The pump is just a cheapy and can't handle the workload?
2)  The 5/16 line can't pull enough to push into the 3/8 line?
3)  I see some guys recommend the Mallory 4140, any ideas?

You may have a weak ground, too small feed wire or just a crappy pump, either way, you should install at least a 3/8 line going to the pump, a 1/2 would be better, i've heard the Mallory pumps are nice & there quiter too, so take that cheap pump off, install a larger feed line & buy the Mallory ;)

Steve P.

:iagree:  Dump that pump and go to at least a Holley Red pump. Anything stronger than the RED pump should have a regulator and a bypass back to the tank... If you keep the gas moving the pump will not overheat and die. You will also get a much longer life from your pump..

The reason for a larger feed line to the pump is that electric pumps are made to push fuel. Not pull it.

A good way to quiet a pump is to hang it with rubber.  See if you can get your hands on an old 18 wheeler mud flap. Cut a piece to hang the pump from. If it is not sturdy enough to keep the pump from dangling you can double up the rubber.

If you do want to run a return line, it's size should be 1 size larger than the feed line from the pump to the regulator.  For instance: tank to pump= 1/2". Pump to regulator= 3/8". regulator return line back to tank=1/2".
This will handle most anything you can throw at it....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

oldkimmer

Make sure u run the pump off of a relay, not just switched 12 volts............kim.....
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!