News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Crate vs. Garage Built

Started by zerfetzen, August 26, 2007, 09:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zerfetzen

I haven't even received my 69 charger yet from ebay, but am just trying to think ahead.  Question:

I can get a crate 440 from YearOne, but always wanted to build my own motor.  $4500 sounds pretty good for a crate 440, but I'm betting everything's cast, and besides, I want to know the motor better.  Then again, I've never built one before, and I don't have my old buddy around now to show me step by step.

I'm wondering if I can put a motor together in my garage over time without needing a machine shop if I buy a brand new block (so it doesn't need checking, boring, etc.), and was looking at 440 Source at balanced setups, so I wouldn't need to have someone balance anything (hopefully)?  Would I need any special tools?  My old buddy gave me a piston ring compressor a couple years ago.  For example, I wouldn't want to get a complicated roller rocker and set up the vavle train wrong, but maybe just some bolt on Indy heads (if I CAN just bolt them on).  I'd like to avoid having to take it shops, and be able to say I learned doing this motor.  The only thing I'd have to admit is probably taking a LOT of advice from this forum.

What do you think?  Possible? Any pointers?  Thanks.

Goal: Simple, streetable 440, about 9.8 compression, hit 500hp in front of a manual trans.
Current Daily Driver: 2006 Dodge Charger RT
Current Project: 1969 Dodge Charger
Previous Cars I want back: 1974 Barracuda, 1973 Cuda

Challenger340

The "buy a Block", and, "buy a rotating Assembly", then assemble to two, is NOT a good idea, and most probably will end up with a massive failure, if it worked at all.
Far too many variables when "mating" parts together. Usually, the difference between any two parts is called "clearance", or LACK thereof.

Who says buying anything "new" is a guarantee it's "correct" ?

Best to buy the parts and have them "fitted" to each other.

The difference here may be theory & "REALITY".

DON'T DO IT !

Just my opinion, Bob out.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Rolling_Thunder

new blocks still need to be finish bored and honed...     to build an engine - you will need a machine shop - it is that simple
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

67_Dodge_Charger

I just had an engine rebuilt and it is exactly what I wanted.  I could assemble the engine myself by I did not feel confident checking clearances on rods and piston sleeves.  A stock rebuild with bolting on the same parts will aleviate most problems.  Things start to become difficult when you go to a stroker, aluminum heads, intake (dual carbs) and have the block plate bored and honed, and decked.  It takes some time and a lot of patience to get it to work properly.  I like having the engine shop assemble the short block and then I can bolt on the heads, cam, timing chain and intake.

The hp range you are looking for is possible but you will need to be careful on your parts sellection.  425 hp is very likely to reach with the compression you are looking at but with some work on the heads, sellect a good cam, carb and intake setup.  A good ignition will definitely help and of course headers (unless you want the stock look). 

There are some people on this site that can give you specifics on what to look for in certain parts.  The big problem will be getting the Charger to hook up with all of that power. :cheers:

Robert

zerfetzen

Thanks for all the good advice, I'll steer clear of the idea of self-assembly with strictly ordered parts.  So I guess it's either the crate or hire a shop, and plenty of time to think about it.  Thanks again.

72pettyblue

another option is to buy a shortblock from someone reputable  on this forum built to your specs and then assemble the rest with your heads, intake, etc.  This should ensure the critical parts are assembled correctly and you will know what you have and get the experience you want as well.  That would be my suggestion.  If you deal with a machine shop, you still won't know what they have done or if it is correct.  Just ask around and you will get plenty of horror stories.  Reputation is everything.

tecmopar

Before you buy a crate from Year One why don't you give Dvorak Machine in Waldo Fl. a call. Dan, "The Lawman" has been building these for about 100 years, knows more about Mopar wedge motors then anyone, ( many, many Nhra national records ) and is reasonable on the prices also, good luck.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: tecmopar on August 27, 2007, 01:07:21 AM
Before you buy a crate from Year One why don't you give Dvorak Machine in Waldo Fl. a call. Dan, "The Lawman" has been building these for about 100 years, knows more about Mopar wedge motors then anyone, ( many, many Nhra national records ) and is reasonable on the prices also, good luck.

Because when I got an engine from Dvorak I got it back unpainted and with three stripped holes in the intake manifold   :flame:   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

zerfetzen

I think at the moment I'm liking 72pettyblue's suggestion.  Do you know is a popular forum member who'd build/sell a lower half when the time is right?  The lower half is the only part I'm truly worried about, and would prefer to do my own upper anyway.  I like that a lot better than a crate :)