News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Having serious Brake Booster issues for Disc brake conversion. Please help!

Started by Corellian Corvette, August 22, 2007, 11:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corellian Corvette

Aargh!  :brickwall:

I'm still trying to get my disc brake kit working on my 68 Charger. I don't want to use the MP brakes booster so I've been trying to find the bendix booster used on factory disc brake cars.

I have purchased several boosters and none seem to work. All of them have pushrods that are too long. Just got another one today and I'm not sure how to fix it. These longer rods are actually hitting the brake pedal, causing them to depress and engage the MC. I'm not sure how any of these could have fit in a Charger.

You can see in this picture the 3 boosters I have:

1st is one that NAPA sent me which was supposed to work. 2nd is the Mopar Bendix booster I just bought off moparts board. 3rd is the original drum brake booster.

The problem is that the pushrods on the 2 new ones are too long, and they are hitting the brake pedal and pushing the rod in, causing the MC to engage.

I've measured all three from the centerline of the hole to the base of the booster. The original was 3in long. The NAPA replacement is 4.25in long, and the SUPPOSEDLY correct Bendix booster is 4.5in long!!
ORIGINAL

NAPA

MOPAR BENDIX

So has anyone done a disc brake conversion with a Bendix booster? Are all of these boosters junk? Can the rods be shortened?

What car is that bendix booster from? Did it ever work in a charger?

Sorry for the questions but this is really frustrating. I've spent a ton of $$ on these and none of them work.

Just 6T9 CHGR

The last booster you pictured with the 4.5" long rod is a Bendix booster which is correct for your car.....

The rod DOES NOT attach directly to the pedal.  You need the correct bell crank linkage to attach the rod to the pedal. 

See the attached pics of my setup.....

EDIT---looking at that rod it looks like the Bendix booster you have might be out of a C-Body & wont work on your Charger

You might want to give Booster Dewey a call and quiz him about rod lengths....

http://boosterdeweyexchange.com/
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Corellian Corvette

Thanks 6T9

I know the rod doesn't connect directly to the brake pedal - the problem is with the longer rod, it actually does HIT the brake pedal, forcing the rod in as you try and install the booster.

Boosterdewey is out until Sept so I guess I have to wait.

Can these Rods be replaced?

Chatt69chgr

The rod can be replaced.  I sent my 69 C-body booster just like yours off to be rebuilt by Prior Remanufacturing, LLC, 315 International Rd., Garland, TX75042.  Cost me $86.95 to have it rebuilt AND have the correct shortened rod installed.  I talked to them via phone and they said they do this kind of stuff all the time.  They have a book that tells the correct rod length for every application.  If they don't have the correct length rod, they shorten yours.  They are the other big brake component rebuilder besides Cardone (which are A__H___es).  I know because I talked to both of them.  When I had this done (12/28/2006), Prior was the one supplying rebuilt brake stuff to NAPA.  That's how I found out about them.  Sorry but I don't have a phone number.  It didn't take them too long either.  Seems like it was two or three weeks.  I paid to ship my core to them but the cost of the rebuilding included them shipping it back to me.  They were just the nicest folks I have dealt with in a while.  It is always refreshing when you run across a outfit where they actually appreciate your business.  Too bad all businesses are not like that.
You might call MBM Brakes in Asheville, NC and see if they have the Bendix booster reproduction available yet.  The last time I called them in the spring, it was supposedly going to be this summer.  They apparently keep having trouble with the Chinese company that is making these.  They never seem to get it correct.  Maybe the last one had lead paint on it.  Let us know what they say if you call them.
And I guess you know that the correct master is now available new from NAPA.  Just69charger was first to learn about that and posted about it on here.

Corellian Corvette

Thanks very much for that information!! I'll look those guys up. I'm probably going to use the MC that came with the MPBrakes setup. It seems to fit fine and I have lines for it to the replacement disc brake distribution block.

Is there any reason I shouldn't use that and should use the replacement MC from NAPA?

Thanks again!