News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who is in the Air National Guard or Army National Guard.

Started by chargerboy69, August 15, 2007, 04:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerboy69

Please, please do not let this get political. I do not want this locked. Thanks.

I am 34 and have decided to join the Air National Guard or Army National Guard. I am leaning real hard towards the Air Guard side. I am looking for pros and cons for both. The reason I am leaning towards the Air Guard is because my wife and I are expecting our first child in 6 weeks. And by being in the Air Guard they are usually only gone for 3 months at a time, the Army is a year  :-\ , and neither the wife or I would like that very much. The only problem with the Air Guard is, that I am to heavy, and I might not be able to get the weight off by the time I turn 35. The Army will take me until I am 42. I just feel the need to serve my country before I get to old to do it.

Thanks. Tim
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Brock Samson

i don't understand your expecting a child in 6 weeks but now you wanna enlist?... :shruggy:

i get you wanna serve and all that's great but that sure don't sound like anything near good timing...

also i have a friend in the ANG and he's on his third tour in the sand box as we type,... haven't you been reading the papers?..

chargerboy69

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 15, 2007, 04:14:44 PM
i don't understand your expecting a child in 6 weeks but now you wanna enlist?... :shruggy:

Well I have been working on this for several months now. I have already lost quite a bit of weight to get into the Air Guard, but not quite enough.

i get you wanna serve and all that's great but that sure don't sound like anything near good timing...:

As far as timing, yea, I was not expecting the wife to get pregnant. But I am happy she is. She is very supportive of the Air Guard.

also i have a friend in the ANG and he's on his third tour in the sand box as we type,... haven't you been reading the papers?..

Yes Strat, I do know what is going on. And to be honest, I would like to go. However, if I had the choice I would rather do it 3 months at a time like the Air Guard, verse the 1 year with the Army. I know my local Army National Guard base here in town has not been there since 2003. They have just had one tour.

Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Lowprofile

Tim, God Bless you for your wanting to serve your country. I have a friend in the ANG and he loves it.

How much more do you have to loose to qualify? Sucks about the "timing", but as long as your wife/family support you, well, thats all a person really needs!

Good Luck Bro!  :patriot: :thumbs: :cheers:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

chargerboy69

Quote from: Lowprofile on August 15, 2007, 05:51:34 PM
Tim, God Bless you for your wanting to serve your country. I have a friend in the ANG and he loves it.

How much more do you have to loose to qualify? Sucks about the "timing", but as long as your wife/family support you, well, thats all a person really needs!

Good Luck Bro!  :patriot: :thumbs: :cheers:

Thank you so much.

Well I am 6'4", and I was at 340 pounds. I am down to 290. Today the Army Guard recruiter told me to lose another 20 and I could get in.

Both the Air and Army have a weight of 230 for my height. But if you are more than 230, they will tape measure you to check body fat. That will be the only way I can get in. The cut off for age in the Air Guard is 35, and I turn 35 in November. I need to lose at least 30 to try and sneak in.

Tim

--Gerald Ford

Really?

If you do go, I'd say ANG- not that I'm biased. The Air force gets the best gear, has the best budget,best facilities and least chance of your hind end getting shot off or blown up...very important if you've got a kid on the way!

pettyfan43

Thank you and God Bless for even trying! You have my UTMOST respect!  :patriot:

Forza

I'd say the ANG too. Nothing against the Air Guard but if you choose the Air Guard make sure you pick a job you like. Most rates are locked tight and don't allow you to change if you decide you don't like the one you picked. Best of luck to ya. Oh ya, the night before you go to MEPS and if your still over by a few inches/pounds, Laxatives & Preparation H with a hernia belt on your stomache. Trust me it works.

Really?

Once you get down to the required size maintain it. The Air Forces version of basic isn't strenuous if you are in decent shape, plus the IG inspections will include looking at the folks in the squad/detachment. CO's aren't happy about getting dinged on avoidables- do NOT be the avoidable, don't get put on the "Fatboy" program. Forza is right 100% :yesnod:, be sure to get a job you'll enjoy. Extra bonus is if it has a civilian application,too. I wish you the best, do a great job, and make sure to get all your bennies'!

my73charger

My nephew just returned from a 15 month tour in Baghdad.  He is with the Red Bulls Army National Guard.  He made it through 130+ degree temp days and a lot of close calls and near misses, although he won't tell about most of what goes on over there.  I salute him for his service and you for trying.  :patriot:

Afflyer

Tim,

When I was a young and strapping lad at the ripe age of 19, back in 1985, I joined the Indiana Army National Guard.  It allowed me to still stay at home with my folks and be a part of the community I loved so much.  I was in an armoured cavalry unit for three and a half years, before I decided to make a major change in my life and go active duty, but with the Air Force.  I was then 23 and I'm still doing it all these years later.  I've been in for almost nineteen years and I love what I do.  I don't know what job you might have your sights set on.  I can say that Army life is less than idealic compared to life in the Air Force, and I say that because I know what both sides of the coin is like.  Air Force is better in every respect.

You might very well still end up in Balad, Iraq, but you won't be there for fifteen months like the ground-pounders are.

If you do decide to "cross into the blue", weigh your options (no pun intended) very carefully as to what job you get lined up.  For cripes sake, don't be a cop and don't turn wrenches in some back shop like a crew chief or AGE.  I did AGE for almost ten years and hated every minute of it- until I put on a flight suit and became a flight engineer on the Herk.  I never looked back.

My advice is look into being a Loadmaster.  It's a helluva great job, and they take guys right out of basic, unlike my profession where you have to cross-train into it- preferably from a mechanical background.  At least as a Loadmaster, you might end up on C-17's or the J-model Herk.  Either way, you'll be gallervanting across the globe, going TDY to cool places, collecting flight pay, be admired by fellow officers, and envied by the vast majority of the rest of the enlisted corps because you are a flight crew member- trust me, I know this.

What ever you do, I salute you for two reasons- number one, wanting to take care of your budding new family, even if you aren't a spring chicken and do not possess six-pack abs.  And secondly, for standing up for something even higher than your family- standing up for what you believe is right and putting on a uniform and defending the constitution and our way of life, which is truely under threat, from both within and without.

Keep us posted on what goes down. 

Keep the weight coming down too, as the Air Force has really been tightening down on physical fitness, a.k.a; "fit to fight".  It sure ain't like it used to be when I first went down to Lackland Air Force Base. 

Good luck,

Bradley  :2thumbs:
Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

bull

I don't know a lot about this subject but I do know two things. One is that basic training in the Air Force is much easier and you'd see much less dangerous action in the USAF if you went to war. The second thing is that there are supposed to be some big signing bonuses going on right now. Did you recruiter tell you anything about that or did I miss it above?

Forza

Don't sign up for just bonuses alone. Before you sign your contract read everything twice. My buddy got conned into an extra 2 years because he decided to trust his recruiter and just sign where he was told to sign. The Army NG is averaging 8-12k sign on bonus based on MOS. Like I said before pick your job wisely and for god sake don't pick 1 just because you get a 20k bonus, it's just going to be taxed significantly anyways! I've got friends in both the Air Guard and Army NG. One of my friends has been in the Army NG for 16 years and is making some pretty good bank and has only had to go to Iraq once for a 15 month deployment. Whichever branch you choose, they're both good and know how to treat their people.

chargerboy69

Quote from: bull on August 17, 2007, 12:09:22 AM
The second thing is that there are supposed to be some big signing bonuses going on right now. Did you recruiter tell you anything about that or did I miss it above?

Bull, Yes there is a bonus. In fact, it is a fairly large bonus.

But to be honest, that does not matter to me the least bit. I am not in this for the money. If they told me I had to pay to join, I would say "Do you take checks". Nothing would make me prouder than wearing the uniform, and serving my country.

--Gerald Ford

Rolling_Thunder

Brother is in the Army National Gaurd...     he likes it alright - u sure on 230lbs for 6'4 ?   I am at 263lbs currently and the good old USMC told me they'll take me at 230lbs..      and i'm only 6'1
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip