News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Back to the Future: again...

Started by Brock Samson, August 22, 2007, 10:24:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

http://www.star-telegram.com/business/story/209908.html

the gist:

A quarter-century after DeLorean Motor Co. began making its glitzy two-seater -- an operation that collapsed after two years -- (Stephen) Wynne's small automotive outfit plans to bring the vehicle back into limited production.

Renowned automotive engineer John DeLorean made fewer than 9,000 of the cars, with their distinctive gull-wing doors, stainless-steel exterior and rear-engine design. An estimated 6,500 remain on the road.

The handmade cars will include about 80 percent original parts. The rest will be from suppliers such as Valeo SA and the Bosch Group, said DeLorean Vice President James Espey.

Enhancements to the cars will include an improved stainless-steel frame, a stronger but lighter fiberglass underbody and upgraded electronics. A peppier engine -- the original cars' 135 horsepower was a downer for performance enthusiasts -- will be available as an option.

"After working on these cars practically every day for 25 years, we've identified most of the issues and replaced them," Wynne said. "If there's a better part available, we'll use it. If there's a better way to install it, we'll do it."

The base price is expected to be $57,500, about the same price a 1981 DeLorean would have cost in today's dollars. Online: www.delorean.com

68chrgrwife

The shop that I worked at was making the time machine one from BTTF 2 and that car is a big piece of Crap. I can't understand what the whole big deal is over it.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

Charger_Fan

I think they're cool cars & would probably buy one if I found one cheap. :)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Old Moparz

Quote from: 68chrgrwife on August 22, 2007, 12:24:00 PM
The shop that I worked at was making the time machine one from BTTF 2 and that car is a big piece of Crap. I can't understand what the whole big deal is over it.

You don't understand the big deal???

Do you know how fricken' cool it would be to travel in time???

:D
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Charger74

Quote from: Old Moparz on August 22, 2007, 12:44:04 PM
Quote from: 68chrgrwife on August 22, 2007, 12:24:00 PM

You don't understand the big deal???

Do you know how fricken' cool it would be to travel in time???

:rofl: What he said!!!!!

:D

68chrgrwife

ok I'm not talking about going back in time...I know all of us on this forum would go back in time real quick, buy up all the daytonna's that noone wanted and hide them until we were old enough to drive and then never sell it.  That way we would have the best cars in the hobby...I'm talking about the POS car.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

Mike DC

Yeah, DeLoreans are disappointing in real life after knowing them from the BTTF movies.

They're tiny little cars.  Low to the ground.

For a car that's styled to look so "sporty" unfortunately they've got NO horsepower.   It's a european 6-banger motor with 100-some-odd horsepower.  You could probably smoke it with a modern Toyota Camry.  (Honestly the DMC's horsepower numbers aren't too unusual for an early 1980s sports car, but it remains pretty disappointing in today's world.)

The gullwing doors are a total pain in the arse.  They don't even have enough clearance with the next car in parking lot spaces half the time.  The doors usually either have too much gas-pressure to pull them down easily when you need to, or else they have so little gas pressure that it's tough to raise them up when you need to.  And if you know how much trouble people have with T-tops leaking in the rain, then try to imagine what happens when there's a full-blown doorjamb/seam in the roof like that.

68chrgrwife

i was completly claustrophobic in there.  Now I have been in small cars before but the passsenger is on top of the driver and the dashboard in in the backseat.  And the outside is just plain metal...so it russ so darn easy.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

SRT-440

There is supposedly a pretty potent Porsche motor transplant u can do for those things that changes everything..I don't know much about it but read somewhere on the BTTF forums that they do it and the car is really quick after..I don't know what engine or how much power it makes..but it is possible.  :shruggy:

I'm sure you could stuff a LS1 or LS2 chebby in it.  :icon_smile_wink:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

moparsons

Quote from: 68chrgrwife on August 22, 2007, 01:23:00 PM
i was completly claustrophobic in there.  Now I have been in small cars before but the passsenger is on top of the driver and the dashboard in in the backseat.  And the outside is just plain metal...so it russ so darn easy.

Stainless shouldn't rust. :scratchchin:

68chrgrwife

that's what I thought too, but there was surface rust in a lot of spots....
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

Charger1973

DeLoreans are freakin sweet.  I would love to have one.  I also heard they had alot of issues but it sounds like this guy plans to fix that problem.  I think they will be pretty nice cars when hes done.  Too bad I cant afford it. 

bull

They were different, and that's what made them fairly cool. The stainless body design was a good idea but they are gutless. I have a coworker that owns one and he says they're kind of cheaply built. I've seen it in the parking lot at work and it seems to me you get over the initial feeling of it being cool rather quickly once you look at it close.

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

TeeWJay426

Here's your bit of useless trivia for the day...... once all the doodads were added to the DeLorean used in the BTTF movies to simulate the flux capacitor and reactor, it wasn't capable of hitting the 88mph to transport Marty through time anymore due to the added weight..... :D
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

Brock Samson

ok... beat up on the delorean all ya want,.. I know I did..  :shruggy:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,18725.0.html

maybe the man who owns one will come on here and defend his,.. again..  :shruggy:

Steve P.

Why is anyone beating up a Delorean?? Very few were made. Not much time was put into the car. He was jailed before he had half a chance to make the big improvements it needed.

SO WHAT!!!!!!   It is a very cool car. The only Stainless Steel car I know of and MUCH can be done to improve every part of the car..

The first production Charger was a 65' dodge Dart. Nothing for a motor. Didn't handle worth a crap. The interior looked like something from a bad LSD trip..  Dodge moved forward and corrected it's mistakes. They were given time and lots of money. I am pretty sure the man behind the GTO would have made a change or two given the time. He damn sure didn't have BIG MONEY backing him..

Hell, as much money as FORD has he still produced the EDSEL!!  Now there is a car to pick on..  :smilielol: :rofl: ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

RD

but why bring it back the way it was originally?  it wasnt cool then and sure as hell has not changed in my opinion?  some guys with more money than brains  :Twocents:
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Steve P.

Quote from: RD on August 22, 2007, 10:26:30 PM
but why bring it back the way it was originally?  it wasnt cool then and sure as hell has not changed in my opinion?  some guys with more money than brains  :Twocents:

For the same reason I HATE Corvettes and others love them....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

ChgrSteve67

How do you know you are following a Delorean?

The white lines on the road are missing.

RD

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on August 22, 2007, 11:08:11 PM
How do you know you are following a Delorean?

The white lines on the road are missing.

bwhahahahahahahahahaa :D :D :D  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

the younger ones on the board won't get that joke, you know that right?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

ChgrSteve67

yeah

I wanted to see if anyone else remembered.

Ya passed RD  :2thumbs:

Steve

68chrgrwife

MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

Steve P.

John Delorean went to jail for SUPPOSEDLY selling Coke.  (WHITE LINES)....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

ChgrSteve67

DeLorean was arrested for putting up $1.8 million to bring 100 kilos of cocaine into the United States.

DeLorean was acquitted of all charges after a federal judge ruled that the FBI operation had been a clear case of entrapment.