News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can anybody identify this ooooold car ?

Started by Daytona R/T SE, August 20, 2007, 05:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona R/T SE

I don't know what kind of car this is. I'm diggin' the off-road conversion.  That's my grandma on the running board  :yesnod:

Brock Samson

Daytona R/T SE

SirNik73

I went to the auto museum a while back. the guy their said that you could buy a tractor conversion for the model T. it consisted of flipping the rear axle over so all your forward gears ran backwards, and then installing gears on the rear axle that spun on the inside of those big metal tractor wheels, thus making them forward gears again, and give a drastic rear reduction for more torque. making a model T a tractor.

Awesome Picture
1973 Charger SE
1973 Charger Parts car
1968 Couger... got this one for free! and it looks like it was free :)
1983 Toyota Tercel 4x4 Daily Driver
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Brock Samson

Winged 1

;)
Not for real sure, but think the rears are off an old tractor. Dad used to have a old Fordson with that style of wheel.. Bet that rig could go any place it wanted..
Eric

That conversion was actually pretty crappy.  There was a big push back in the early days to have tractors and cars that were dual purpose.  You know money was tight and farmers wanted to be able to buy a tractor but go to town in the evening and not have to spend the money for a car and a tractor.  There were several attempts at this.  IMO the best iteration was made by Minneapolis Moline and was a UDLX (U-deluxe).  This tractor had all the comforts of a car at the time.  It had a clock, radio, heater, enclosed cab, full fenders, headlights, etc.  But it was a tractor at heart and could go to work in the field.  These tractors however were fairly expensive and they never caught on.  Several companies made the Model T conversions and they were also advertised as being something you could work during the day and go to town at night.  It was basically false advertising because as you can see fenders needed removed for clearance, there was a large axle that needed to be installed to carry the tractor wheels, and the pinion gear to drive the tractor wheels was put on in place of the rear wheel (if you've ever dealt with changing a wheel on a T you'll find this is not so simple).  There was also the fact that T's are not a hearty beast.  They have cooling problems and will overheat just pulling themselves around, not to mention mounting an extra 1000 pounds of tractor wheels and then head to the field and pull a plow.  The transmission is also a weak point due to the bands.  The tractor conversions you find in the wild usually are just the tractor conversion on a T frame with an engine and seat.  There usually is no body to speak of.     
When I was just a very young lad I looked up and told my dad, a bareback rider's what I wanna be.  I want the whole world to know about me.  In the rodeo arena I'll make my stand.  I wanna be a rodeo man.  I'll come flyin' from the chute with my spurs up high, chaps and boots reachin' for the sky.  Spurin' wild with my head throwed back, you'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.  You'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: 253862656971 on August 20, 2007, 07:34:20 PM
That conversion was actually pretty crappy.  There was a big push back in the early days to have tractors and cars that were dual purpose.  You know money was tight and farmers wanted to be able to buy a tractor but go to town in the evening and not have to spend the money for a car and a tractor.  There were several attempts at this.  IMO the best iteration was made by Minneapolis Moline and was a UDLX (U-deluxe).  This tractor had all the comforts of a car at the time.  It had a clock, radio, heater, enclosed cab, full fenders, headlights, etc.  But it was a tractor at heart and could go to work in the field.  These tractors however were fairly expensive and they never caught on.  Several companies made the Model T conversions and they were also advertised as being something you could work during the day and go to town at night.  It was basically false advertising because as you can see fenders needed removed for clearance, there was a large axle that needed to be installed to carry the tractor wheels, and the pinion gear to drive the tractor wheels was put on in place of the rear wheel (if you've ever dealt with changing a wheel on a T you'll find this is not so simple).  There was also the fact that T's are not a hearty beast.  They have cooling problems and will overheat just pulling themselves around, not to mention mounting an extra 1000 pounds of tractor wheels and then head to the field and pull a plow.  The transmission is also a weak point due to the bands.  The tractor conversions you find in the wild usually are just the tractor conversion on a T frame with an engine and seat.  There usually is no body to speak of.     

That's great. What kind of car is it in the picture?

Daytona R/T SE

Check out the cowl lamps-they're not electric - Gas? Kerosene? Carbide? Cold Fusion?

My Grandma was born in '09 so judging by that I'd say this was taken about 1915

(Yes Brock- She's the Chick in the hat) :nana:

Todd Wilson

That conversion was actually pretty crappy.  There was a big push back in the early days to have tractors and cars that were dual purpose.  You know money was tight and farmers wanted to be able to buy a tractor but go to town in the evening and not have to spend the money for a car and a tractor.  There were several attempts at this.  IMO the best iteration was made by Minneapolis Moline and was a UDLX (U-deluxe).  This tractor had all the comforts of a car at the time.  It had a clock, radio, heater, enclosed cab, full fenders, headlights, etc.  But it was a tractor at heart and could go to work in the field.  These tractors however were fairly expensive and they never caught on. 

Dodge Power Wagons did it better!    :icon_smile_big:

Rear Belt Pulley

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 20, 2007, 06:44:47 PM
hey! ain't that silver's mustang?..  :shruggy:

Yeah it is!!!!!  He took the sawzall to it too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:hack:

Todd

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on August 20, 2007, 10:42:45 PM

That's great. What kind of car is it in the picture?

I think it's a really early T. The fenders seem awul flat and the top seems shaped funny for a T though.  If the hood was on it I could say for sure.  Oh the lights are a kerosene type.  They have wicks in them for light. 
When I was just a very young lad I looked up and told my dad, a bareback rider's what I wanna be.  I want the whole world to know about me.  In the rodeo arena I'll make my stand.  I wanna be a rodeo man.  I'll come flyin' from the chute with my spurs up high, chaps and boots reachin' for the sky.  Spurin' wild with my head throwed back, you'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.  You'll ask 'Who's that,' well that's Bareback Jack.