News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1973 RoadRunner, Looked at it tonight (Updated)...

Started by Moparman01, August 20, 2007, 02:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparman01

I'm goin to look at a 1973 RoadRunner this week and i would like to know what to look for in the Vin number to know if it is a real RoadRunner and a real 440 car. I was told, not buy the owner however, that it is an origional 440 car, i know it HAS a 440 in it but i'm alittle skeptical of it being an origional 440 car. I have seen this car many times before, it used to be a regular at some of our local cruise nights but it's been quite few years now since it has shown up and i think it has swapped hands maybe a couple of times but i'm not sure. It used to be a very nice looking car, more of a hot rod but very showable, the 440 is cromed up and has the usuall bolt on goodies. The only problem with the car is the tranny is shot and needs a full rebuild, no big deal. I have a chance to pick this car up really really cheap, but i want to know first what to look for vin # wise to see if it's a actuall 440 RoadRunner or just a clone made out of a 318 Satilitle. Even if it is a clone the price is still very good if it's still in as good of shape as it used to be, a couple buddies of mine have looked at the car and say it's nice, we'll see i guess. Please help! Thanks! 

PocketThunder

I believe RR vins start with RM but i'll look it up to be sure.  And i'm 99% that 440's only came in the GTX that year (and in 74).  So hopefullly its a 440 GTX... hang on while i search google... :popcrn:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

PocketThunder

http://www.yearone.com/updatedsinglepages/Id_info/mopar/mopar%20vin%20ID/moparvininfo3.html

RM23U3

R = Belvedere / Satellite
M =Road Runner (1968-74), Road Runner GTX (1972-74)
23 = 2-door coupe   or   29 = 2-door Sports coupe  - not sure what the difference is there.
U = 440 c.i.d./280hp (1972-73) 4-bbl V8
3 = 1973

Does that help? :scratchchin:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Nacho-RT74

as far I know no GTX since 72, last year 71 like R/Ts.

23 or 29 on Chargers are Hardtops roll down quarter windows and SEs fixed windows respectivelly... not sure on Plymouths
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

PocketThunder

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 20, 2007, 03:45:51 PM
as far I know no GTX since 72, last year 71 like R/Ts.

23 or 29 on Chargers are Hardtops roll down quarter windows and SEs fixed windows respectivelly... not sure on Plymouths

GTX was an option thru 1974.  i know that for sure.

Moparman01

Quote from: PocketThunder on August 20, 2007, 03:32:33 PM
http://www.yearone.com/updatedsinglepages/Id_info/mopar/mopar%20vin%20ID/moparvininfo3.html

RM23U3

R = Belvedere / Satellite
M =Road Runner (1968-74), Road Runner GTX (1972-74)
23 = 2-door coupe   or   29 = 2-door Sports coupe  - not sure what the difference is there.
U = 440 c.i.d./280hp (1972-73) 4-bbl V8
3 = 1973

Does that help? :scratchchin:

Yes that helps very much!! Thanks man!! I too know for sure the GTX was available thru 1974, i know a guy who has a factory 73 440 powered GTX for sale right now, it's project car a little outta my league, wants $6000 but it's rough. I am a little confused tho, was the RoadRunner in 73/74 automaticaly a GTX as well, or were they still 2 different packages?? What would a regular straight Roadrunner have come with stock, i'm thinkin 340? Anyways thanks for the help!

Nacho-RT74

http://v8zone.free.fr/v8zone/1menu/viewe.html
http://v8zone.free.fr/v8zone/gtx/1e.html
http://v8zone.free.fr/v8zone/gtx/71e.html

Remember GTX was the R/T brother, and Performance finished on 71 with emision controls and gas crissis.

Apparently OFFICIALLY GTX died on 71 but maybe you could get a GTX package with 440 on a RR ( stated on last link I posted )

contradiction ? maybe!!!

wikipedia states also some similar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_GTX#1972-1974
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

BMOTOXSTAR

73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

69CoronetRT

The 71/72 RR's were hard tops and will code RM23. The 73/74 RR will code RM21.

The GTX ceased to be a stand alone model after 71 but the 72-74 Road Runners recieved the GTX badging when they were ordered with the optional 440 engine.

So an original 73 RR with 440 will code RM21U3 and should have the GTX badging. There is no option code on the fender tag to show the GTX markings but the first code on the bottom line of the tag will be E86 signifying the 440. Attached is a 73 440 RR tag.

Just in case.....
Satellite= RL21
Sebring=RH23
Sebring Plus = RP23

318 (G code) was the standard engine with the 340 (H code), 400 (P code) or 440 optional.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Moparman01

Hey thanks alot for the info 69CoronetRT, big help. Cool, now i have all i need to check this car out, who knows maybe by the end of the week i may have a 73 RR in my garage. One last thing, what do you think a actuall 73 440 RR is worth in say average, needs minor TLC be worth? I'm not lookin to turn around and sell the car for a profit or anything like that, like i said before i could pick the car up pretty cheap (i won't say just yet) and just want to know how cheap i'm gettin it. Thanks alot!

hemihead

Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

PocketThunder

Quote from: Moparman01 on August 20, 2007, 06:03:58 PM
Hey thanks alot for the info 69CoronetRT, big help. Cool, now i have all i need to check this car out, who knows maybe by the end of the week i may have a 73 RR in my garage. One last thing, what do you think a actuall 73 440 RR is worth in say average, needs minor TLC be worth? I'm not lookin to turn around and sell the car for a profit or anything like that, like i said before i could pick the car up pretty cheap (i won't say just yet) and just want to know how cheap i'm gettin it. Thanks alot!

$8,000~$10,000  :shruggy:

Moparman01

I'm goin to look at the car tonight, i'm pretty excited about it, i dunno if i'm gonna buy it or not, it'll all depend on just how good of shape it's really in and what the car really is, we'll see. I'll have updates later!

rav440

Quote from: Moparman01 on August 21, 2007, 03:12:27 PM
I'm goin to look at the car tonight, i'm pretty excited about it, i dunno if i'm gonna buy it or not, it'll all depend on just how good of shape it's really in and what the car really is, we'll see. I'll have updates later!

there were only 117 rr/GTXs built in 73 , RM21U3 is what you looking for . also the differance between a BB and SB car is the inspection cover on the passenger side iner fender the 400 and 440 have a large opening with a rubber cover , the SB cars have the same size stamped sheet metal cover that is on the driver side . dead give away for converted SB to BB road runners

dont forget to get some photos  :popcrn:

good luck  :2thumbs:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Moparman01

Ok i just got back from checking out this RoadRunner...actually it is a '74, not a '73 like i was told! Anyways, it's been a good 5+ years since i've seen the car around, time hasn't takin to much of a toll the car however. First of all, it is not an origional 440 car, the dash and door Vins read "RM21G4" so it was born a 318 car. Also, i'm not sure what it means but the first code on the bottom line of the fender tag is "E44", 440 would be E86 right? The owner was not there, the car is at the owners brothers house, he still thinks it's an orgional 440 car. He has the build sheet with the car, the build sheet has an "L" in the engine column, whats that mean? The car is not in bad shape, it just needs some TLC. Both quarters are solid and straight, rocker pannels and floor pans are solid, frame looks pretty good, inner fenders and firewall don't have any rot in them however it is a mess under the hood and needs to be cleaned and painted, the only bad part was the bottom of the one front fender has some rot and the drivers door has a rust spot in the lower corner, and the front valence was crushed up when it actually hit the tow dolly. It's a pretty easy restoration project but would be plenty driveable with a fresh tranny. The story on the tranny is the guy towed the car with a tow dolly and didn't take the drive shaft out and destroyed the tranny, it only has reverse. It was a brand new TCI tranny too! He has another working 727 that will go with the car. We started it up and sounded really good, it has a mild cam and the usual bolt on goodies. The owner is asking $4500 bucks for it, which is a fare price and i think i could get it for 4000 even, not a bad deal but not a smokin deal either. I'm gonna think about, i'm kinda on the fence right now, it was a little different when i thought it was a factory 440 car. Sorry guy's i wasn't able to get any good pics of the car.

BMOTOXSTAR

73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Moparman01 on August 21, 2007, 08:08:34 PM
... the dash and door Vins read "RM21G4" so it was born a 318 car. Also, i'm not sure what it means but the first code on the bottom line of the fender tag is "E44", 440 would be E86 right?

E44 means it was a 318 car which matches the G in the VIN.

QuoteHe has the build sheet with the car, the build sheet has an "L" in the engine column, whats that mean?

I think it means he does not have the correct BS for the car as L = 360 in 1974. Check the VIN on the BS against the car you're looking at.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

71gtx