News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The roof is on!

Started by Harlow, August 19, 2007, 03:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlow

This weekend my dad and I managed to get the old roof off and just now put the new roof on for a test fit. Its only 1:30 right now so we should have the whole thing fitted and ready to go by tonight. Its really close to being done. Were going to give it one final push this week and hopefully have the thing ready to go by next weekend. I get the radiator back from the shop on tuesday and then I've got some valvetrain stuff to put in and it should be ready to go again. Its been a month since we tore it apart and I can't wait to drive it again. The old rusty roof literally BROKE in the middle when we pulled it off...

Charger-Bodie

excellant !! its great to see you are progressing . its also great to see a "novice" doing it right! GO KID GO!!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Harlow

Quote from: 1hot68 on August 19, 2007, 04:08:41 PM
excellant !! its great to see you are progressing . its also great to see a "novice" doing it right! GO KID GO!!!

I can't take all the credit. Me and my dad have been working on it. This was our first attempt at body work.

bull

Looks good! The "after" picture I mean. :icon_smile_cool: Man, the old one is really shot. :o

Charger1973

Hell after all that work id be tempted to leave the vinyl off so I could admire it.   ;D

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Charger1973 on August 19, 2007, 04:36:34 PM
Hell after all that work id be tempted to leave the vinyl off so I could admire it.   ;D
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Harlow

I guess I could get it painted and just put the vinyl top trim back on...also I already bought the vinyl roof.

Khyron

very nice!

I was lucky with my roof, so I left it a hardtop. I didn't want to tempt fate ;)

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Harlow

you guys have me tempted to get the roof painted. It would be easier and cheaper to just put the vinyl top on and be done with it. Maybe when I get the car painted I'll take the top back off...

Harlow

Quote from: aussiemuscle on August 19, 2007, 11:39:41 PM
Quote from: bull on August 19, 2007, 04:32:09 PM
Man, the old one is really shot. :o
no kidding!

The rest of the car is rust free, but the roof was completely shot. Its been a Tucson, AZ car all its life.

bull

red72chrgr

Looks great, you and your dad are to congratulated for sure.  :yesnod:
Nothing personal, just business

70 Charger RT

I've never seen that much rust on a roof before.   :o :o
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

PocketThunder

Quote from: 70 Charger RT on August 20, 2007, 03:34:59 PM

I know its always on the other side of the car.. hahaha
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Charger_Fan

I'm pretty sure this was a member's car he got from eGouge...I think...maybe it was just for sale on eGouge. I don't remember. :shruggy:

Gongrats to you & your Dad, Harlow. :cheers: It's looking great! :2thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on August 20, 2007, 05:50:59 PM
I'm pretty sure this was a member's car he got from eGouge...I think...maybe it was just for sale on eGouge. I don't remember. :shruggy:

Harlow's car is a Satellite
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 20, 2007, 06:06:10 PM

I know, I was just talking about roof rot in general. ;)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

hemi-hampton

Harlow, How many hours do you figure you got into that roof replacement? 40 hours? 80 hours? is it done/completed yet? LEON. :scratchchin:

73ChargerSE

Wow, looks a LOT better.  I got all the parts back from the powder coater, all I need are heads and we're good to go for cruising. :2thumbs:

Good job Scott!

Harlow

I got the roof off of craigslist for $35  :icon_smile_big: I watched one on ebay go for 600+. Leon, I probably have a good 80-90 hours into it. I spent WAY too much time getting the donor off. If I had got my old roof off first and then knew what I was doing when I got to the donor I could have easily cut 20 or so hours out of it. Its not permanently on there yet, but its all fitted and ready to go. Paul, let me know if you need an extra guy to help out with your car.

TUFCAT

How in the hell does a roof rust like that ....and the rest of the car look so good???  :icon_smile_question:  I'm being serious - - anybody have an idea? Where I come from (Michigan) cars rust from the BOTTOM-UP....not TOP-DOWN!!

Harlow

From what I can tell the car must have had the paint stripped off the roof and then had a padded vinyl top put on (early 80's). The car was stored outside. When the stop split at the seams the foam pad would get wet and sit there like a sponge on the unprotected metal. I was shocked when I stripped the vinyl top off. I knew it had some rust under it, but WOW.

The70RT

Quote from: TUFCAT on August 20, 2007, 09:46:30 PM
How in the hell does a roof rust like that ....and the rest of the car look so good???  :icon_smile_question:  I'm being serious - - anybody have an idea? Where I come from (Michigan) cars rust from the BOTTOM-UP....not TOP-DOWN!!

A 40 year old car with a vinyl top that sits out in the weather all the time.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Charger1973

Vinyl tops do nasty things to roof skins.   :eek2:

TUFCAT

Gotcha - - the wet padding sitting on unprotected metal would certainly do it...  :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: WOW - that's too bad because the rest of the car is nice!

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on August 20, 2007, 06:11:51 PM
Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 20, 2007, 06:06:10 PM

I know, I was just talking about roof rot in general. ;)

Oh Ok !!! gotcha ;D
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

terrible one

Harlow, are you sure the vinyl top isn't factory?

At the factory, Chrysler didn't paint the roofs on cars that got vinyl. The vinyl then absorbs and traps the water between it and the unpainted, unprotected roof, rotting roofs of cars in even the driest of climates over time.

Harlow

The aftermarket copper top was the replacement to the old black top that it came with from the factory. I didn't know that the factory didn't do anything to the roofs on vinyl top cars.

terrible one

Quote from: Harlow on August 20, 2007, 10:25:26 PM
The aftermarket copper top was the replacement to the old black top that it came with from the factory. I didn't know that the factory didn't do anything to the roofs on vinyl top cars.

Oh okay, didn't know you had a different color top than what it was coded for. But yeah, the roof was left bare, which is probably why yours ended up in the shape that it's in.

mikesbbody

terrible one, correct me if im wrong but are you saying you could not get a painted roof with vinly over the top? because i was told the otherwise b someone who really knows mopars. The car i know about is a 71 super bee green, with a white painted roof with white vinly roof. (which was removed) I just thought the paint was someones "cheap" attempt at a fake vinly, but i sent a pic of the tag to my friend, who said it was a "white painted roof" option which meant both a painted roof and vinly?  :shruggy:

Nacho-RT74

as far I know, just primered down vinyl

mikesbbody

i will email terrible one a pic of the car im talking about 

terrible one

Go for it. I've never heard of an option that included painting the roof a certain color and then putting a vinyl top on, but I am by no means an expert or veteran. Furthemore, I'm not sure what happened with the later model Mopars. I have just found that on the '70 or so and before models, the factory usually did not spray the body paint on the roof if the car was getting a vinyl top (I guess they found it a waste of paint) so the vinyl top was put on top of virtually un-protected metal.

mikesbbody

im no expert iether and had never heard of it give me about 10 mins then check your email.

bmoparmofo

My 69 charger is painted t5 under the vinyl top, just like the body :shruggy:
69 charger 383 t5, 67 newport 383, 67 newport custom 383

terrible one

Quote from: bmoparmofo on August 20, 2007, 11:02:00 PM
My 69 charger is painted t5 under the vinyl top, just like the body :shruggy:

But has it been re-painted and had a new top put on it? Not challenging at all, just asking. Like I said, I'm just going by what I've gathered.

mikesbbody

ok, terrible one i emailed you the pics not the best but you will see the car (and the tag) please know it was not about proving you (or anyone else) wrong If the information i as told was wrong then so be it. We all like to learn new things about our hobby right? btw sorry if i hijacked this thread  :cheers:

terrible one

Quote from: mikesbbody on August 20, 2007, 11:14:23 PM
ok, terrible one i emailed you the pics not the best but you will see the car (and the tag) please know it was not about proving you (or anyone else) wrong If the information i as told was wrong then so be it. We all like to learn new things about our hobby right? btw sorry if i hijacked this thread  :cheers:

Don't worry at all man, I don't take it that way. I love learning. I e-mailed you back by the way. It didn't even occur to me to post my reply in the thread haha.

mikesbbody