News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Locating vin# on a early '68 318 block?

Started by 1BAD68, August 18, 2007, 08:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSmithersCharges

Thank you I suppose I'll just quit looking I should just be happy it runs  :lol:

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Dans 68 on May 07, 2010, 06:39:46 PM
Quote from: 69CoronetRT on May 07, 2010, 06:29:27 PM
Quote from: Dans 68 on January 11, 2008, 11:58:14 AM
...and to clarify also...the stamping on the bellhousing flange of the engine that matched the transmission was not the VIN; they were serial numbers.

The transmission also had the partial VIN stamped on it, same as on the fender tag, which thus ties it to the car.   :yesnod:

I'm confused by your first sentence. Are you refering to 1968 models? If not the VIN, then what do you mean they were serial numbers? The stamping is a partial vin number.

Second sentence. Again, are we talking 68? The 68 Fender tag does not have the VIN on it so you can't tie a 68 engine or tranny to the car via the fender tag.

Hmm, I get to respond to one of my posts on a 2 plus year old thread?  :scratchchin:   :rofl:  jk...O.K., just ignore the first sentence. It was asked in ignorance of the '68 peculiarities. I now know better.

As for my second sentence/statement, look above for my first response.   ;)

Dan

My appologies. That was pretty silly not to look at the date  :slap:
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

bull

It could be a factory warranty replacement engine - best case. Or possibly a previous owner swapped out the original engine for one that wasn't stamped. I tend to believe the first explanation because your engine's casting date falls within the correct timeframe. I don't know if the company rules back then dictated that the numbers be stamped on a replacement block bellhousing flange but I would think not.

ZSmithersCharges

Quote from: bull on May 08, 2010, 12:59:20 AM
It could be a factory warranty replacement engine - best case. Or possibly a previous owner swapped out the original engine for one that wasn't stamped. I tend to believe the first explanation because your engine's casting date falls within the correct timeframe. I don't know if the company rules back then dictated that the numbers be stamped on a replacement block bellhousing flange but I would think not.

That would be pretty interesting!  So for warranty replacements they recast with the proper date or they used an engine from that date? 

So mine would have most likely been stamped though is what you are saying?  The only reason I posted on this thread is because someone had a 383 unstamped like mine from around my build dates as well yet tranny was stamped just like mine.  So, I was wondering if it was a coincidence or maybe that we both had originals and it wasn't practice at that time to stamp the block like the original poster with his 318?  Either way you guys are very helpful this is just a ball of confusion for me and others apparently(even though the others were confused two years ago  :lol:) so thanks for your help!