News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Freakin' deer!

Started by Hemidoug, August 17, 2007, 08:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemidoug

Darn near hit one on the way home from a little after dinner cruise tonight (make that TWO deer)  :flame:. One crossed the road with another one just behind, doin' 60, too late to stop so I just drove in between them. Didn't hear anything above the roar of a Hemi turning 2500 RPM so I checked the car when I got home...not a mark  :2thumbs:! I'm sure there is a little pile of deer crap marking the spot of the second one. Man...that was way too close  :flame: :brickwall:!
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

bull

I came real close to hitting two at once in my '70 back in the day. I believe I was doing about 65 and when I saw them there was one standing in the middle of both lanes so I quickly straddled the center line and went right between them. Time stood still as I passed between them and for one split second my eyes met the eyes of the one to my left. Its nose looked as if it was four inches away from my window. :o

JimShine

I had one run into the drivers side door of my '69 while I was driving one night. The handle gashed him open pretty good and the tires ran over his legs. In the end I had a small crease near the handle, but that was all. You can feel real spooked when those close calls happen.

71ChallengeHer

Glad the Charger is ok , Doug. I hit a Deer with my 70 Barracuda , a few years ago. It took out the grille , the header panel and radiator. The worst thing was the poor deer wasn't dead, but it was hurt pretty bad. I had to wait for the game warden to get there to shoot her. :bawling:

hemi68charger

No doubt Doug !!!!! That was way close... You don't need to be "restoring" a second car so quickly...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Charger1973

I havent hit one yet but had a few close calls.  My friend had one run right into the drivers fender on his S10 while he was going down the highway, it left dents all down the side of the truck and wiped out the mirror.  They have to be one of the dumbest animals. 

69bronzeT5

My dad hit a deer with our 90 Bonneville SSE back in 2002. Completley totalled the car. Of course the deer died. And my dad said he hit a deer with his F150 last month. It cracked his headlight but the deer took off unhurt.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

TUFCAT

Are you sure they weren't pink elephants?  :cheers:

whitehatspecial

We almost hit one a couple of weeks ago coming home from a cruise night. Saw the first one cross the road, I stopped dead let it cross and then two more came across right behind her. I learned a long time ago that when you see one there are usually more behind and it's best to stop.
The a-hole behind me was laying on his horn because I stopped.... some people.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

Drache

My dad was driving along in his little two door pontiac car at about 100kmh on his 1 hour drive to work and one came out of the ditch and jumped over the roof of the car as he was speeding along. The rear legs of the deer just caught the very top of the driver side window and the deer hit the  ground going ass over tea kettles but got up and limped off.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Lowprofile

Good driving Bro!  It could have been worse....... :icon_smile_dissapprove: :D
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Drache

Deer tend to be a little smaller than draft horses lol!  :icon_smile_big:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Lowprofile

Quote from: Drache on August 17, 2007, 11:40:35 PM
Deer tend to be a little smaller than draft horses lol!  :icon_smile_big:

You should see some of the corn fed heffers up here where I live!! :smilielol: :D
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

JR

My daily driver is an 03 mustang, and my closest call with a deer was in it. I was driving down hwy 280 in Alabama, which is mostly 65 mph speed limit, one night in the country at 1 am. I was drowsy and fighting to stay awake, when I snap out of my daze just in time to see a big ass deer turn from me and start running directly away from me. The only thing is I was driving in the crusing lane and he was walking in the fast lane. If I had been one of those left lane drivers(who I hate btw) I'd have plowed into him at 75 miles an hour.Or giben him a 75 mile an hour colonoscophy.(SP?) He must have been a foot away from my door. After that I was like  :o

Be careful out there guys.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Hemidoug

Quote from: bull on August 17, 2007, 09:00:37 PM
I came real close to hitting two at once in my '70 back in the day. I believe I was doing about 65 and when I saw them there was one standing in the middle of both lanes so I quickly straddled the center line and went right between them. Time stood still as I passed between them and for one split second my eyes met the eyes of the one to my left. Its nose looked as if it was four inches away from my window. :o

That is EXACTLY what happened to me ('cept they were on the move). Buzzed right between them. I'm sure I gave the one on the right a shave...
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

The70RT

Good deal Doug....that you missed them. I hit one head on a few years ago. I was in a 79 Olds. I had to replace the hood, header pane,l fender and it's antlers blew out my tire. Then it got up and ran away leaving me in a mess. I also had one jump between the truck and my boat trailer going like only 30 and he cleared it believe it or not :o. The last incident was last Dec in my Dodge Ram. Someone hit one in front of me and it landed right in my path. Luckily when I slammed the brakes the F-350 pulling a 30ft camper behind me took evasive action and passed me on the shoulder out of control and criss crossed all over the road but never crashed ....the guy was a hell of a driver. I had to hit the brakes or hit the dear. Could have been a disaster. I was in my Cutlass a couple months ago and a dumb as a deer blond ran a stop sign and I almost T-boned here. She never even looked my way..........yep dumb as a deer.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Charger_Fan

At least you didn't try evasive maneuvers like that guy from the Moparts (?) link & end up with the short end of the stick. Glad to hear this story has a happy ending. :cheers:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Fitz73Chrgr

A couple of weeks ago some guys I knew were driving back from a camping trip on Highway 44 near Pacific, MO when a deer ran out in the road.  They swerved to avoid the deer and crashed.  Two of the four guys in the car were killed.  It goes to show that you should not swerve out of the way of wildlife in the road, it is just too dangerous. 
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

NYCMille

Damn Doug - sorry to hear that man. Thank GOD there was no damage.

ChargerSG

Holy moly, how can you get a horse stuck in the car like that :eek2:
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

mally69

Speaking of deer i just nailed one with the lifted quad cab last night  didnt even try to stop, kinda just kept rolling  through ,,, it was funny..No damage to the truck..   what do you think of that    (( P.E.T.A  ))

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

wjmopar

Over the past 10-12 years, I've hit 5 of 'em with the semi.  Freakin' deer is right on!!!  Need more of us guys to hunt them - thin 'em out.  Every deer shot by a hunter is one less on the road.
If you can't Dodge it,
RAM it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BB1

We came close to hitting a human white male on a train. The idiot stepped out of the way at the last second.
We were doing 65 mph....over.

:image_294343:
Delete my profile