News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MoparStuart's Convertible Superbird Project Pic's

Started by MOPARHOUND!, August 17, 2007, 01:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

:popcrn:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

moparstuart

:drool5: my factory shroud and part  number look likeit might fit like they said it would    LOL

moparstuart

:pity: one of the bolts snapped off taking the schoud off the old radiator

oh and the new aftermarket water pump took different size fan bolts mine were too long and were locking up the water pump when fully tightened , the new pump had a longer neck so the bottomed out on it .

moparstuart

moparstuart

got three of hte bolts on mounting the radiator and figures out it was warped .  No way was the 4 th bolt going in

So i had to take it back out and stand on the two oposite corners to get it to flatten out some .  It wasnt perfect but close enought to get it in the car and snugg up , now the car should do the rest to flatten it more.

also had to cut out this rib in the core support , the factory style rad was ribbed so it went right over it , this one is flat and was hitting it .

the bottom fit up nice and snug into the bottom  of the yoke

moparstuart

moparstuart

:popcrn: tranny lines actually lined up half way decent  , had to put the fitting out of the stock radiator on it , but they fit great .

moparstuart

:popcrn:  sorry i had to remove my horns to try and get room to  Beat the radiator in place LOL  it just didnt want to lay flat . it made it easyier to try and mount the shroud also .
m

moparstuart

:popcrn:  the pretty aftermarket  non working horn I mount up top for looks  

I had  to adjust the aluminum slide mount ,bent it out so the bolt would go in straight

moparstuart

went to bolt up the shroud and figured out it was hitting the lower radiator neck and there was no way it was going to bolt up flush .

so I had to unbolt the radiator again and take it out .  Then i got the dremel tool back out  and shaved a little u shaped neck out of the drivers side lower corner of the shroud . Then put everything back in .

moparstuart

everything is all back in and now bolted up , just have to add fluids and put/ tension  the fan belt back on in the morning .     Oh and double check the tranny lines . . Then test drive it 

FLG

Stuart,

For the pain i went through to get my current radiator to go in, only now to have it slowly fall apart  :RantExplode:

I think it would work just fine.

Will see about the inlet/outlet ports.

greenpigs

So is that a 3 row radiator? Even with a little persuading it sounds like it wasn't to bad to get to fit and if it cools well that trouble is worth the few hundred I could save. I have the Jag clutch for my fan so clearance shouldn't be an issue. The plan is to put the new radiator in and also put my Mancini aluminum WP housing on and clutch fan and deep six that flex fan.
   VERY interested in how it performs!
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

moparstuart

Quote from: greenpigs on June 05, 2010, 06:04:45 AM
  So is that a 3 row radiator? Even with a little persuading it sounds like it wasn't to bad to get to fit and if it cools well that trouble is worth the few hundred I could save. I have the Jag clutch for my fan so clearance shouldn't be an issue. The plan is to put the new radiator in and also put my Mancini aluminum WP housing on and clutch fan and deep six that flex fan.
  VERY interested in how it performs!

I will keep you updated on the cooling  , i just wanted to be totally honest , If I sell these I want people to know what they are getting  .

hotrod98

Ironic that we're both installing radiators before meeting in Branson.
Last week the bird vapor locked just a block from the house after driving about 100 miles in 95 degree heat. I didn't have the electric fan hooked up.
Last night I stayed up unitl midnight installing a new stock style Modine radiator in the Blackbird. The old one was getting a little green around the edges and I didn't trust it. I removed the "aftermarket clutch" style fan and installed a seven blade solid fan with an aluminum spacer. I also wired up the thermostat for the electric fan. I'll test drive it today and tomorrow it gets the real test with a drive to Centerville for the mopar show and drags. It's supposed to be close to 100 degrees.
I plan to eventually install an aluminum radiator. I'm going to try to find the one with the best fit. I also want to make sure that it's all aluminum welded since the cheaper aluminum rads are glued and won't hold up to extreme heat and I figure the chances are pretty good at getting some extreme heat in a wingcar sitting in traffic.
I just hope this stock radiator holds up in the notorious Branson traffic. It can be a killer in this heat.
We're going to bring the car on the open trailer so that we have the truck to drive to some of the shows. That way we can leave the bird at the hotel part of the time. I decided not to bring the big trailer. Just too much hassle pulling that thing.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

nascarxx29

Keep up the goodwork.I have a working orginal superbird horn with the longbracket.I had a repro one. But it was short lived.And this original one still works last time I tested it
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

moparstuart

Quote from: nascarxx29 on June 05, 2010, 08:51:23 AM
Keep up the goodwork.I have a working orginal superbird horn with the longbracket.I had a repro one. But it was short lived.And this original one still works last time I tested it
yes my original is out of my 69 runner and it works great and has never been touched  , have a new one in the 69 and it still works .

moparstuart

well i had bad luck again and the radiator is out again to go the the repair shop

mean while i puller the radiator out of the 69 road runner so i can leave for branson in the morning in the birdible

moparstuart

:drool5:

moparstuart

:drool5:  this may get me in trouble  , its a 26 inch but only a 2 core  ,  I do have the shroud and the electric fan in the nose

had to take it to the car wash and get all teh greese ,grime and anti freeze off it ,  we (IAN ) and i degreesed the engine also .

moparstuart

moparstuart

:drool5:

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

We trailered the bird about 90 miles to Centerville dragway this morning instead of driving it. It was over 100 degrees by noon. We drove around the track some in the heat and idled down the track once for a memeorial lap for one of the racers that was killed in a motorcycle accident. We didn't have any overheating issues. We did get a Best of Show award and the GTX that I built for a friend a couple of years ago took the track award for Most Outstanding Mopar. We had our pics taken on the track and then got to make a partial pass down the strip. My 71 Barracuda went to the final round round last night at the same track in the Mopar street radial class.
Anyway...we're leaving the bird on the open trailer tonight and pulling it to Branson in the morning. It'll be kind of nice having a/c on the trip up there. We pulled the Barraucda to the track last night in the 28" enclosed trailer. That's too much weight for my half ton Dodge to handle. Plenty of power, just doesn't handle worth a darn. The bird would weigh even more so no go on the enclosed trailer idea. I'll have to wait until the crew cab dually gets the new 440 before pulling the enclosed trailer again.
Good luck Stu. Call me if you need help.
See ya in Branson.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams