News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MoparStuart's Convertible Superbird Project Pic's

Started by MOPARHOUND!, August 17, 2007, 01:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

already bought the pump should be here tomorrow !

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

pettybird

Quote from: moparstuart on September 11, 2008, 08:38:04 AM
Quote from: pettybird on September 11, 2008, 12:01:10 AM
vacuum pulls the carbs OPEN, so more vacuum isn't the answer?

the carbs are pulling 0 vaccuum because the hlp's and brakes are robbing it all

then you have a HUGE leak.  like, the car shouldn't run leak.

remember I have a pair of headlights, and power brakes, and a 280/474 purple shaft cam, and I don't have vacuum problems...

pettybird

Quote from: BigBlockSam on September 11, 2008, 11:19:25 AM
Quotevacuum pulls the carbs OPEN
i

i  always thought vacuum keeps them closed. at heavy throttle there is less vacuum then at idle . thats why they open .

check out a six pack that's not running.  crank the throttle open and the secondaries don't move.  vacuum opens them up. 

your analysis WOULD be right if it used a vacuum source BELOW the throttle plate, but the takeoff here is ABOVE the throttle plate, so there's a ton of vacuum on throttle tip in. 

pettybird

you're still missing something.  take the vacuum line OFF that goes to the secondaries and see if the carbs still open.  is your linkage binding/set up wrong? 

does the car idle all right?

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on September 11, 2008, 11:11:57 PM
you're still missing something.  take the vacuum line OFF that goes to the secondaries and see if the carbs still open.  is your linkage binding/set up wrong? 

does the car idle all right?
it idels great in park but i cant keep the idle up in gear just good enought to keep it running but barely in gear .

pettybird

if you're CONVINCED you have a vacuum theft issue, pinch the lines to the booster and the vacuum canister with hose pliers or vise grips. 

you'll see in a hurry whether or not you should return the pump.

once you have all vacuum sources disconnected or pinched spray down the intake with starting fluid/carb cleaner and see if you've got a leak under the manifold or under a carb. 

nascarxx29

For the 6 pack did you use the 2 thin gaskets with a new valley pan.And the carb base gasket the tan cardboard ones are not good.Get the holley 54# one I recall sealed better.If you do have a vacuum leak and to compensate it by raising the idle.That probably would enrich and trigger the outboard carbs.And check the linkage adjustments to the outboard carbs.And how is your distributor advance set up.Vacuum or mechanical at what RPM total advance
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

BigBlockSam

if you want to check for a vacuum leak. just get some carb cleaner and spray it any where two surfaces meet and where  the ends of the vacuum hose are connected ,  at idle. if the rpms go up ,you've found  your vacuum leak . Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

pettybird

you could always take my first suggestion and throw the whole damn setup in a dumpster.

The70RT

Of course your mechanic knows you can only use the valley pan intake gasket once  :shruggy:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

moparstuart

Quote from: The70RT on September 12, 2008, 10:22:08 PM
Of course your mechanic knows you can only use the valley pan intake gasket once  :shruggy:
yes we put a new valley pan in and instead of doubling the gaskets we got the thicker ford , base gaskets that seal better and are the same holley set upp 

pettybird

I've reused valley pans with a little silicone...

what's the current state?  worst case scenario you could trailer it there for diag and repairs!

66chargerkid

Pump installed. I am getting the soundsystem all set up (running speakers in hidden places and mounting his 8" flip up touch screen radio which is taking a while).
Pump is loud but if it does its job it wont matter!

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

moparstuart

Quote from: BigBlockSam on September 13, 2008, 10:47:21 PM
hey, you pimp-in    :smilielol:
pump works great. I have brakes ,motor runs much better getting the brakes of the vaccuum from the motor . My vaccuum leak is in the hlps some where ? they are totally unhooked from the vaccuum system now hlp's (UP) 

moparstuart

less them 500 miles on the new motor and we think it spun a cam baring , Will crack it open and see. Back to the drawing board.   this car is cursed

The70RT

Quote from: moparstuart on September 21, 2008, 08:49:51 PM
less them 500 miles on the new motor and we think it spun a cam baring , Will crack it open and see. Back to the drawing board.   this car is cursed

Sorry to hear that. I guess you have all winter to figure it out now.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

moparstuart

Quote from: The70RT on September 21, 2008, 08:55:25 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on September 21, 2008, 08:49:51 PM

Sorry to hear that. I guess you have all winter to figure it out now.
:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

BigBlockSam

Quoteess them 500 miles on the new motor and we think it spun a cam baring , Will crack it open and see. Back to the drawing board.   this car is cursed 

MAN!   THAT SUCKS !   DON'T YOU HATED WHEN THAT HAPPENS  :pity:

sorry dude but that shit happens , some new parts and you'll be back in business then  the curse will be gone.  your made it  home safe  .  Rene

:cheers:

moparstuart

Well for those of you following my saga , leo pulled the pan today and it # 7 rod bearing is spun .  We are not sure weather there is more damage but for sure # 7 spun .  It's not spun bad the crank still looks ok  ?   Next step pull the motor and pull it all apart , it's a pain with that nose on there . Good new if you can call it that , I will get a better size cam in it !!!   

dougy you were closest guess # 8          :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

BigBlockSam

couldn't you just fix it with out pulling it out  or did it run for too long with no oil pressure? 

mic everything up  and  replace the bad parts  . i call that an in the engine compartment rebuild. in the old days we would do it laying on the floor in the back yard . working on my picnic table.

check this out . read a little down the page at the 270h cam . that's the recommended six pack cam with  stock converter . i have it in my 68 r/t sounds good at idle too and lots of power . i have a sixpack on that car , works well with it .

look, your car isn't a race car , it's to heavy for that . it's a cruiser . i think that's what you want . don't loose your mind with monster cams .

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:290Ot7GLpcQJ:www.compcams.com/technical/Catalogs/106-07/40-49_229.pdf+chrysler+440+comp+cams&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us&client=firefox-a

moparstuart

Quote from: BigBlockSam on September 26, 2008, 03:26:20 PM
couldn't you just fix it with out pulling it out  or did it run for too long with no oil pressure? 

mic everything up  and  replace the bad parts  . i call that an in the engine compartment rebuild. in the old days we would do it laying on the floor in the back yard . working on my picnic table.

check this out . read a little down the page at the 270h cam . that's the recommended six pack cam with  stock converter . i have it in my 68 r/t sounds good at idle too and lots of power . i have a sixpack on that car , works well with it .

look, your car isn't a race car , it's to heavy for that . it's a cruiser . i think that's what you want . don't loose your mind with monster cams .

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:290Ot7GLpcQJ:www.compcams.com/technical/Catalogs/106-07/40-49_229.pdf+chrysler+440+comp+cams&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us&client=firefox-a
i had ordered what was supost to be a six pac cam , mild street cam , Not what i got.

We are going to go ahead and pull everything back down . There is something else wrong because the cranks still mic's out good . We had good oil pressure all along at the gauge ?  Everything comes out gets rechecked , check the block ,reboil it out AGAIN if we have to ( wasnt really happy with the machine shop the first time ) We had to clean up alot of stuff he should have done .  I dont I DONT want to do this again.

nascarxx29

Check the line bore .And check out the block throughly
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69_500

Was wondering if you were going to keep us updated on what was going on with the car now. It was nice to finally get to see the car over at Rich's house even if it was up on the flatbed. I think you were just wanting to park your car like Geno does his.

pettybird

Quote from: BigBlockSam on September 26, 2008, 03:26:20 PM

the only thing I don't like about those cams is the tight 110LSA...  otherwise I'd pick the third Xtreme cam from the bottom.