News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MoparStuart's Convertible Superbird Project Pic's

Started by MOPARHOUND!, August 17, 2007, 01:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBlockSam

that rod had to be defective. they don't do that at normal rpm's. did you over rev it?   :scratchchin:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

moparstuart

Quote from: BigBlockSam on May 29, 2008, 11:02:41 PM
that rod had to be defective. they don't do that at normal rpm's. did you over rev it?   :scratchchin:
no we were on the hwy at 60 mph just at cruising speed  no warning at all   just kaboom and it was done.  Motor still cranks over fine too !
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Magnumcharger

Magnaflux (Zyglo) your next set of rods good buddy!!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

moparstuart

found a replacment block and pistons and crank good standard bore 71 dated motor

moparstuart

My buddys Leo & deron Mcgraws shop. They had the motor all unbolted and ready for us to pull. We went over to his shop today and the 4 of us pulled and took apart the 440 in less them two hours. We had originally decides to pull the nose first and debated back and forth . Leo was able to get a huge long cherry picker so we pulled it leaving the nose on.  Enjoy the pictures!

moparstuart

:drool5:  The replacement block and crank are at the machine shop being hot tanked and assembled as a short block .  It's a standard bore 71 440 block . Hopefully it will be finished this week so we can get it over to leo's shop soon for reassemble.

moparstuart

:popcrn: The last shot of the hood is really freaky. The reflective 440 + 6 decals came through the blanket.  You could not see them with the naked eye ? Really wild ? 

moparstuart

:drool5:  Trunk full of bolt on accesories .

moparstuart

:drool5: Pulling time it came our pretty quick and easy. I was nervous with it hanging over my original steal bird nose! Who wouldnt be !

moparstuart

:drool5:

moparstuart

Shots under the car with the motor out !

moparstuart

We went ahead and tore the top end off the motor to make sure what carnage had happened. Nice shot of the broken cam . No push rods where bent , Valves look ok but we will pull them and check them out anyway to make sure .

moparstuart

:popcrn:

nascarxx29

These things seem to happen during builds. And your weeding those demons out.I had this let go ever see a big block HP crank break and motor still  ran.

And on my friends pink superbird conv Guy who built the 727 trans air gunned it back together.Stripped the threads out on the front pump.Went for a ride and it broke loose .Magnaflux all the internals and use ARP bolts
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

moparstuart

:popcrn:

moparstuart

:drool5: Piston came right out no scoring on the wall and the rings looked great. It was just the rod broke right in the middle . Six pac rod freaky deal ?

BigBlockSam

did you have to take the air out of your front tires ?  to get the car lower. that's  a pretty orange boat anchor you have there .  :rotz:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

moparstuart

This was a 69 dated HP six pac motor , But the pistons were .60 over which i didnt know . I was told when i bought it they were  only .30 over . This explains some of my over heating problems. I was told to stay away from .60 over for the street and cars driven long distance which we do alot!

moparstuart

After we pulled the motor we drove down the street to a local church .  The had a car show we had the only mopar except one lone viper and a sheriffs charger!
  I am alway intruigued by the rat rods , the wrecker was cool.

moparstuart

Quote from: BigBlockSam on June 29, 2008, 06:21:04 PM
did you have to take the air out of your front tires ?  to get the car lower. that's  a pretty orange boat anchor you have there .  :rotz:
No we left the ass end of the car on the 4 post lift and the front end on the ground. Then slowly jacked up the rear watching to not hit the front spoiler on the cherry picker.  It worked well just had to be really careful of the nose and spoiler. 

moparstuart

I like the new viper coupes styling much better then the roadster.  Has to shoot a picture of the fabulous hudson hornet .

moparstuart

:drool5:

moparstuart

last shot at the little show

BigBlockSam

Quotestay away from .60 over for the street and cars driven long distance

:yesnod:  yep , i don't know how these guys run 60 over cars on the street . i've never had luck with that . Rene

hotrod98

Does this mean Branson in August? 
My clone's in the booth. I'll primer it tomorrow. Paint it next week. I've only got five weeks left.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams