News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

School??

Started by 68chrgrwife, August 16, 2007, 11:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68chrgrwife

Ok, So I have found something that I think could be pretty cool.  It is thru Continuing Education, which is free classes to residents who are over 18 (usually finished high school, but looking to just enhance thier current job).  They have Automotive Technician classes.....total of 600 hrs for one semester....

Description:
The Automotive Technician program, offered at the Centre City/Skills Center, is a 600-hour training program that meets Monday through Thursday. This modular course provides entry-level skills required for employment as an automotive technician. It is required that all students possess a valid California Driver's License. The National Automotive Technician Education Foundation (NATEF) competency standards are used and instruction includes:
Safety Procedures
Proper use of hand tools
Proper use of repair and diagnostic equipment
Repair of engine, drivetrain, brakes, suspension, steering, electrical/electronics, emission control and fuel systems
Diagnosis and repair of engine performance problems
Graduates receive a 600-hour Certificate of Completion.

The course prepares students for the Clean Air Car Course.

So my question is..should I do it?  I can take the class at night after my hubby comes home (so he can watch the kids).  I think that it would help me help him with the charger.  I do know some basic stuff, but I think this will go a little more in depth.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

bull

Sure, I think that would be awesome, especially since it's free. You'll probably be one of only 2 or 3 chicks there though so hopefully that won't bother you.

68chrgrwife

It wouldn't really bother me...I worked in the automotive field before, so I am used to being the only girl.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

my73charger

My  :Twocents: I think that would be awesome and also a really good opportunity for you.  Go for it!

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: my73charger on August 16, 2007, 01:05:17 PM
My  :Twocents: I think that would be awesome and also a really good opportunity for you.  Go for it!
:iagree:

68chrgrwife

Hubby's thing is that I probably won't be turning wrenches just learning book info.  I don't care either way...
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

70charger_boy

I took a few automotive courses and I didn't really get any new knowledge out of it.  The thing that really sucks about the free courses is that the curriculum is outdated.  I could tell you that you still can't go wrong by taking the classes, because
1.  You will learn something
2.  You'll meet new people
3.  It will give you a break from raising 3 kids for a couple of hours

and my father once told me "Don't ever pass up a chance to learn" :Twocents:

Charger_Fan

Sounds great! Especially because it's free. :yesnod:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Forza

Can't go wrong with free! Overall the course sounds fairly decent, some of the stuff might be outdated but still would be good to learn. It's a good starting point. Does your hubby still have his Montgomery GI bill? If he does you could always ask to use his if you find you wanna go even further after the free class. Good luck!

68chrgrwife

Quote from: Forza on August 17, 2007, 01:29:06 AM
Can't go wrong with free! Overall the course sounds fairly decent, some of the stuff might be outdated but still would be good to learn. It's a good starting point. Does your hubby still have his Montgomery GI bill? If he does you could always ask to use his if you find you wanna go even further after the free class. Good luck!

Yes, hubby has his GI bill, but we have 3 kids...they need to go to college too...I keep trying to persuade them to follow in daddy and grandpa's footsteps and go military, but they refuse..I told my 8 year old that it will pay for college and she said to me no dice.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

Old Moparz

If it's something you definitely want to do & it doesn't pull you away from other obligations, why not do it? Like others have been saying, it's free, so the price is right.

Besides, if you get tired of your husband, just think about all the guys you'll be meeting.  :D
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

68chrgrwife

Quote from: Old Moparz on August 17, 2007, 12:20:19 PM
If it's something you definitely want to do & it doesn't pull you away from other obligations, why not do it? Like others have been saying, it's free, so the price is right.

Besides, if you get tired of your husband, just think about all the guys you'll be meeting.  :D

It is Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday from 5pm to 9pm, so yeah it pulls me away from my family during dinner time and bed time, but I really think that it would be helpful.  I just want to be more of a help with the charger for hubby.  Instead of him having to do most of it alone. 

as a side note...I don't think that I'll ever get tired of hubby....as much of a pain in the ass as he is sometimes, I really think we'll be together forever.  We've have been together for 11 years now.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

Old Moparz

Same here, I've known my wife since 1985 & wouldn't trade her for anyone. I doubt anyone else would tolerate me anyway.  :D

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

dodgecharger-fan

The basics never get outdated. Even if you know them already, a refresher can never hurt.

I say go for it. It will only cost you your time, gas, (and maybe some course materials?) and if you learn just one thing each class, it's well worth it.

68chrgrwife

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on August 17, 2007, 01:44:50 PM
The basics never get outdated. Even if you know them already, a refresher can never hurt.

I say go for it. It will only cost you your time, gas, (and maybe some course materials?) and if you learn just one thing each class, it's well worth it.

no course materials from what they say....just time and gas.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

Forza

Why even make a post like that? Completely off-topic and a jackass thing to say.  :shruggy:

70charger_boy

Quote from: 2Gunz on August 18, 2007, 04:27:31 AM

Sounds like a cool deal.

A side note here......

I have know idea of you and your husbands relationship, nor am I going to pretend to.....

But sometimes as men we like to get away from the wife/girlfriend and do stuff she just does not get.

Which at times can really be part of the charm of it.

And while I might find it fun (for a bit anyway) if the girl was interested, It might also might drive me to drink.

Just a thought.

You win Gold in the retard olympics, dude.  Learn to spell also KNOW=NO

68chrgrwife

Well 2gunz post was deleted before I read it, but luckily it was quoted so I can respond.  Hubby enjoys fixing the car with all of us (me and the kids), the whole project is a family affair.  I do know a little about cars and he always asks for my help.  I would just like to know a little more so that whenhe is gone on deployment or when he needs help with it I can do it.  He enjoys my help and encourages me to learn about the car.  Which is why I am a part of this forum (with him)...so I can learn things about the car.
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

rt green

learning more about cars would be good for you. hell, if you saved even more money on labor costs by doing it yourself, that could free up more cash for you to get another challenger  or charger for yourself.         bruce     
third string oil changer

70charger_boy

So did you decide yet?  Either way, I think it is really great that women can share in this hobby with their husbands.  This is usually not the case.  I think that any little thing you do to help hubby out is greatly appreciated.  If my wife would ever offer to go with me and work on the car then I would be happy.  I wouldn't care if she knew how to turn a wrench.  I would teach her :Twocents:

68chrgrwife

I am pretty sure that I will be going.  I really want to do it and hubby will support be in whatever decision I want.  I do know how to turn wrenches (have done it before)  I love working on the car and do have a 71 Charger project that will be in my driveway as soon as we find a trailer and truck to get it here.  It will need work and I want to be able to do it without running to my hubby for help all the time.....I am going to take the body work/paint class next semester so that I can learn how to do all that too.  Then Ya'll can hire me to do your body work and paint and I'll charge you less than sending it to a shop...LOL (only for dc.com members).
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
2008 DODGE CHARGER

BMOTOXSTAR

That is a great opportunity. :2thumbs:
Go for it, you can do it. :cheers:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

2Gunz

Quote from: 68chrgrwife on August 18, 2007, 11:38:10 AM
Well 2gunz post was deleted before I read it, but luckily it was quoted so I can respond.  Hubby enjoys fixing the car with all of us (me and the kids), the whole project is a family affair.  I do know a little about cars and he always asks for my help.  I would just like to know a little more so that whenhe is gone on deployment or when he needs help with it I can do it.  He enjoys my help and encourages me to learn about the car.  Which is why I am a part of this forum (with him)...so I can learn things about the car.

It wasnt meant as a dig at all. It was just something to think about.

Ive had a similar situation situation and it didnt work out so well.

After reading it again just now, my post could have been better worded.

And yes I cant spell and yes my grammar is horrid.

Forza

Why don't you just stop posting. If her and her hubby like working on the charger and other vehicles together then who the hell are you to say "Hey maybe you should get out of the hobby because your a woman". 68ChargerMan seems like a decent dude, how bout we let him decide what him and his wife do, shall we? In the future when you have another brilliant idea about how others should handle their business why don't you strap on a helmet and bang your head against the wall and save us the trouble. :brickwall:

Thanks!

2Gunz

Wow....

Please dont twist this anymore than it has been.

This has NOTHING and I repeat NOTHING to do with her being a woman.

And really I think its awesome shes into it.

My post came after working 16 hours all night.

And it really was about something that happened in my own life.

Mostly a rant that came to light in my post, and maybe should not have.

Anyway I think its awesome shes into it and would encourage her in every way.

Im done with this because its just crazy Im getting attacked about it.