News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Replacing brake and fuel lines

Started by chargerguy111, August 15, 2007, 08:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerguy111

How hard is it to replace all brake and fuel lines without being on a lift? Im going with the pre-bent ones,should I go with In line tube or Fine lines?I have heard very good things on both.Thanks in advance.

keepat

The in-line brake lines fit great! The hardest part of the job is the connection at the proportional block on the frame, if you have a BB with headers?

rudyjrusa

Quote from: chargerguy111 on August 15, 2007, 08:18:54 PM
How hard is it to replace all brake and fuel lines without being on a lift? Im going with the pre-bent ones,should I go with In line tube or Fine lines?I have heard very good things on both.Thanks in advance.

how did it go??  i am trying the same thing for my 1974 charger.

chargerguy111

How hard is it to replace brake,fuel,and transmission lines while the engine is still in the car?

Shakey

I had no major issues when installing the fuel and brake lines as well as the transmission lines while the engine was in and it was on stands about 18" above the floor.  Inline Tube is where I bought all my parts.

dukeboy_318

i just done that to my 74 charger, pretty easy if you have a set of flare nut or line wrenches to help get the old one off. like shakey said set your jack stands to about 18-24 inches high, gives you plenity of room. good luck
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

bill440rt

I've also replaced lines before with the engine/trans, etc still in the car. It's wasn't too hard, just get it off the ground so you can get under it.
I also found it MUCH easier to loosen the gas tank straps to partially drop the tank for access. The lines at the top of the tank were the hardest part for me. Be prepared for cuts & bruises to your arms from the sharp edges of the gas tank, wear long sleeves & gloves!!  :brickwall:

Also, I've always purchased my lines from Fine Lines. The customer service is excellent, product quality is excellent, & prices are a little better than Inline Tube.
I had a problem with the parking brake cables from Inline Tube. I merely fit the cable on the car (a non-drivable restoration project), saw it didn't work & took it off. Inline Tube refused to take the part back saying it was "used." The part was still minty brandy-new, & how the hell else was I supposed to know it didn't work without trying to install it on the car??  :flame:
I will rarely purchase anything again from Inline Tube, their customer service sucked.  :rotz:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

rudyjrusa

Quote from: bill440rt on February 11, 2008, 10:08:53 AM
I've also replaced lines before with the engine/trans, etc still in the car. It's wasn't too hard, just get it off the ground so you can get under it.
I also found it MUCH easier to loosen the gas tank straps to partially drop the tank for access. The lines at the top of the tank were the hardest part for me. Be prepared for cuts & bruises to your arms from the sharp edges of the gas tank, wear long sleeves & gloves!!  :brickwall:

Also, I've always purchased my lines from Fine Lines. The customer service is excellent, product quality is excellent, & prices are a little better than Inline Tube.
I had a problem with the parking brake cables from Inline Tube. I merely fit the cable on the car (a non-drivable restoration project), saw it didn't work & took it off. Inline Tube refused to take the part back saying it was "used." The part was still minty brandy-new, & how the hell else was I supposed to know it didn't work without trying to install it on the car??  :flame:
I will rarely purchase anything again from Inline Tube, their customer service sucked.  :rotz:

i agree - i tried asking them a few questions and was turned off by there answers - all they wanted was can i place your order now! - would not buy from them - customer service was no good!

Chargermoneypit

Don't buy any parts from Inline Tube. These people suck! They sent me the wrong part and after calling so many times I can't count only to a busy signal I gave up. Their technical hotline is as good as calling a parts store in a 3rd world country. WORTHLESS. All that being said does anyone have a picture or a good source for reverse looping brake line up to the master cylinder on a 68 Charger RT with 11 inch power drums. They sent me the forward looping ones and, as many have mentioned, good luck returning it. I need to find the correct ones and am frustrated with these idiots.

Brightyellow69rtse

when i did my fuel line just went to the parts store and bought a roll of 3/8. i didnt even jack the car up at all and it came out good.

oldcarnut

Mine came from Fine Lines and service was great.  Biggest problem was and still to be resolved is trying to get one of the lines to seal on the block.  The stainless line has been a litlle testy  :shruggy:

FLG

When i got my car had to do a few lines...just used a double flaring tool and a bender and they came out just fine  :2thumbs:

When i bought some nuts awhile back from these guys

http://store.fedhillusa.com/

They sent me a sample of there tubing...was really impressed with the quality and flexibility of the stuff, also the fact thats they never rust is a real plus in my book. I plan on buying a roll and using it for my brake lines...and just braided lines for the fuel.

elacruze

I used Inline Tube, and the fit was great, the parts were all correct.

HOWEVER

Because it was 'only $10 more' we ordered the stainless tubing. I had to separate the rear brake line and both fuel lines to get through my frame connectors, and I learned an important lesson; you can't flare stainless tubing with hand tools. No matter how I tried I couldn't get a decent flare and it leaked everywhere I cut it. Worse than that, I had to tighten every fitting to an inch of its squeaking life to seal their pre-made flares. Stainless has no place under a driver, it should only be considered for a show car. If you ever have to repair it, you're screwed.
I had to toss the rear brake line and make my own from NAPA tubing, and clamp high pressure hose on the fuel line to finish up.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Roger 68 charger

I bought a complete brake line fit with hoses and fittings and fuel lines from fine lines--I stayed away from the stainless just because of the stories Ive read about sealing--I havent put them on yet probably next weekend :cheers:
68 charger RT 505"
70 cuda
99 Durango

oldcarnut

Quote from: elacruze on May 22, 2011, 08:02:08 AM
I used Inline Tube, and the fit was great, the parts were all correct.
HOWEVER
I learned an important lesson; you can't flare stainless tubing with hand tools. No matter how I tried I couldn't get a decent flare and it leaked everywhere I cut it.
I tried to make my six pack lines from SS and couldn't get a good flare with the hand tools either.  Made a good SS fuel rail but had to settle for regular lines to the carbs.  Only had one brake line give me a fit but sqeuking tight don't seal it.