News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I declare myself as the 3rd generation dash pad guinea pig!!!

Started by 72Rallye440, August 15, 2007, 06:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

72Rallye440

Well, I decided to use the coupon offer from The Paddock (Nat's in CL) and buy the new re-popped 3rd generation dash pad. It cost me $400 (- the discount and free shipping) and I was expecting a pretty decent product. Unfortunately I was completely disappointed.

Please keep in mind that this is just my opinion and I wanted to share some pics. The gentleman on the phone was completely forthcoming and told me its not a "show car" piece. He explained that it has 2 defects (pictured) and that was fine, no big deal. What I was really disappointed in was the fact that the part really has no frame to it at all. It does have fiberglas sections for support on the underside but no actual frame. If you pick it up on one end it will literally fold in the center. As you can see by the pics the lack of of support is starting to cause a sag above where the steering wheel would be located.

Again, it is what it is and I'm only expressing my opinion. The part may be perfectly fine for some folks but I will not be keeping it. I have a fear that the sag may not come out once its installed and I'm not willing to take the chance.

72Rallye440

Defects...................

72Rallye440

Check out the bend (pic could have been better)! :o :o

72Rallye440

Take a look at the underside. The white sections is fiberglass but not a frame. It looks as if its embedded in sections as support? :shruggy:

Charger1973

:o What a POS!!!   I'll have my old one restored and pay the price, that is just pathetic!

72Rallye440

Quote from: Charger1973 on August 15, 2007, 06:51:14 PM
:o What a POS!!!   I'll have my old one restored and pay the price, that is just pathetic!

You're one of the folks that I wanted to see this before you plopped down the cash right along with me!

Charger1973

Yeah im glad you took the pics, that really saves me a headache because I would NOT be happy if I ordered one and it looked like that.   Really that makes my cracked dash look nice.   :smilielol:

Thanks for taking the time to post them.   :cheers:

TruckDriver

Quote from: Charger1973 on August 15, 2007, 06:51:14 PM
:iagree: :badidea: :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Just a suggestion, but I hope you can post this on my sight too. It would be appreciated.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

NHCharger

Wow, guess I'll keep my dash cap on after seeing that. I'll spend the extra couple hundred when I'm ready and have mine re-done. I wonder if they think that us 3rd gen guys are that hard up for new dash pads that we would settle for that.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

wjmopar

I've never ordered anything from "The Paddock", and after seeing the absolute junk they're sending out, I won't be ordering from them, ever!!!   Thanks for the heads-up, and I hope you don't have any probs. returning that piece of sh*t!!!
If you can't Dodge it,
RAM it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The70RT

It seems a lot of stuff coming out is a joke these days on 2ed gen as well. They need to take there time and make a good product.  They would make more money in the long run. Why couldn't they fix the mold? You mean every one that is sent out is gonna have the same defects?
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

72Rallye440

Quote from: The70RT on August 15, 2007, 08:50:09 PM
It seems a lot of stuff coming out is a joke these days on 2ed gen as well. They need to take there time and make a good product.  They would make more money in the long run. Why couldn't they fix the mold? You mean every one that is sent out is gonna have the same defects?

I was told that every one they have in stock has the exact same defect and now that I took a closer look it appears to be a patch! :flame: Also, I tried to insert an extra vent panel I had in the garage and its not even close to fitting!  :rotz: :shruggy:

RD

holy shnikes!!!!  that sux a55 if you ask me... original restore for me now... you know, epoxy, a toothpick, paint, and time :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

41husk

Thanks for being the experiment, sorry it is such a sorry product.  I would rather have my cap than that POS
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

AKcharger

Quote from: wjmopar on August 15, 2007, 08:05:16 PM
I've never ordered anything from "The Paddock", and after seeing the absolute junk they're sending out, I won't be ordering from them, ever!!!   Thanks for the heads-up, and I hope you don't have any probs. returning that piece of sh*t!!!

Paddock is a good place, I've ordered about $10K worthof stuff from them...they stand  behind their products and they'll refund it

twilt

72Rallye440, do you know who the manufacturer of that pad is? There is another business on Ebay (ultimate rides?) selling repro pads for $625, and that requires a core frame.  Obviously, what you got is a worthless piece of crap at any price.  Having bought a lot of repro parts in the last couple years, I have been thoroughly disappointed in about half of them. 

defiance

Some of the $700-range pieces that are re-covered stock frames (just dashes, dashboard restoration, etc) are actually really good peices.  Still maybe not perfect, but really good. 

This?  Wow.  My goodness that section over the steering wheel actually makes me ill.  :puke:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: twilt on August 16, 2007, 06:17:13 AM
72Rallye440, do you know who the manufacturer of that pad is? There is another business on Ebay (ultimate rides?) selling repro pads for $625, and that requires a core frame.  Obviously, what you got is a worthless piece of crap at any price.  Having bought a lot of repro parts in the last couple years, I have been thoroughly disappointed in about half of them. 

its my understanding that ultimate rides will do it either way sed a core ore get one cheaper like that. a friend of mine used one from them on a 70 challenger the other day and it was without the metal shell and he said it fit like crapola, my partner here at the shop got one for a 70 chally a couple years ago with the metal shell and it fit nice!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

72Rallye440

twilt,
Not sure of the manufacturer of the piece. I called the Paddock this morning and the lady was VERY helpful and said "let me guess, the 71-4 b body dash pad". Apparently the manufacturer confirmed that everything they have has the defect but offered me another part from the same company. Supposedly, the new one is much stronger and fits better but over $540.00 in price! For that amount of money I'll pay Just Dashes or someone compairable $700 to re-do my original.

She's sending me a return label so I won't be out anything and she also apologized. I really couldn't have asked for better service but I'm glad that I got the info out to you guys. Having 400 bucks of your play money tied up kinda sucks! :brickwall:

CharlieCharger

Earth. Even the word sounded strange to me now... unfamiliar. How long had I been gone? How long had I been back? Did it matter? I tried to find the rhythm of the world where I used to live. I followed the current. I was silent, attentive, I made a conscious effort to smile, nod, stand, and perform the millions of gestures that constitute life on earth. I studied these gestures until they became reflexes again. But I was haunted by the idea that I remembered her wrong -Solaris

red72chrgr

Ouch! Glad you're getting your $$ back. Guess it's the cap for the time being.
Nothing personal, just business

rudyjrusa

i was going to buy one from paddock - good thing i didn't - sent it over to dashboardrestorations - price is $475 plus shipping - i hope they do a great job.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: rudyjrusa on August 16, 2007, 03:26:25 PM
i was going to buy one from paddock - good thing i didn't - sent it over to dashboardrestorations - price is $475 plus shipping - i hope they do a great job.

I told you!!! better get good invested the money and no headaches on next 20 years as less. I hope rebuilt job will be quality one!!!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

defiance

Quote from: rudyjrusa on August 16, 2007, 03:26:25 PM

They did a great job on mine! :)

Nacho-RT74

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! definitelly worths!!!!

Heey, nice power window switches!!!!

Charger74

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 16, 2007, 09:48:05 PM
WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! definitelly worths!!!!

Heey, nice power window switches!!!!

Funny, I was going to say the same thing.  What a great place for them....

defiance

LOL - are you guys being sarcastic? :P

It's a $35 repop console panel, so I didn't figure it would hurt anything, and they do work well there...  I figured door panels are harder to come by and more expensive, plus more work to get them mounted solid.  The point was the dash panel, though, which I thought Dashboard Restorations did a great job on! :D

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: defiance on August 17, 2007, 10:54:43 AM

It's a $35 repop console panel, so I didn't figure it would hurt anything, and they do work well there...  I figured door panels are harder to come by and more expensive, plus more work to get them mounted solid.  The point was the dash panel, though, which I thought Dashboard Restorations did a great job on! :D

eeehm... I'm not being sarcastic... I would preffer on doors like original thought, but for a while that custom job is good done, I wouldn't care ;)

Todd Wilson

Quote from: The70RT on August 15, 2007, 08:50:09 PM

I am no plastic or molding person but I would imagine they made a mold from a dash pad that had the buggers in it. Maybe tried to patch it and make it look decent and it obviously transfered to the mold. As flimsy as it is in the picture I bet the speedometer area would most definately sag. Imagine what it may do when it gets warmed up on a hot summer day.
These cars are worth too much money to replace with this kind of garbage. For that kind of garbage and price I'll just keep my original dash with its crack in it. It dont look that bad. Thanks for those post Dew! We need to know about this stuff!

Todd

Charger74

Quote from: defiance on August 17, 2007, 10:54:43 AM

OH no, no sacrasm either, I do think that is a cool place to put them.  Like you said, why cutup nice expensive door panels when you can cut up a nice repop panel.  Had friend put his power window switches in the center console for his 68 Charger.  Worked nicely.

Nacho-RT74

Anyway I think you are a little bit Creeder LOL, because on those years just Mercedes were with switches on buttons LOL ( I'm sure of that since my driver is a 75 mercedes 280S LOL )