News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Finely, 68 Charger tail light bezels

Started by BEAPARTS, August 13, 2007, 02:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BEAPARTS

Anyone on the sight have a chance to see the 68 tail light bezel we had at the Mopar Nationals?  We also had the first 73-74 Charger tail light lenses.   The proto type has been tested and the production pieces are in chroming right now, I aired in one bezel for the show and the response was very encouraging.  The back-up lens will be available very soon also. 

Photos are posted of the bezel assembly down in this thread.

Mike Ross
B/E & A Restoration Parts, Inc.

73ChargerSE

Are there any pictures of the 73-74 lenses? 

BEAPARTS

I haven't taken pictures yet, but, I can tell you with all certainty they are absolutely gorgeous.

73ChargerSE

Do they have the silver paint around the edges? Patiently waiting for pictures  :popcrn: :popcrn:

But in all seriousness, thank you for repopping these, us 3rd gen guys need them :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Hemidog

BEAPARTS

I think we will be painting the silver edges on all the lens like all the SE cars had.  My buddy has his dads 74 that he bought new and it's a perfect show room survivor, it's not an SE but it has the silver on the edges.

68Charger4me

Pics, Pics, Pics.  Where are the pics ?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEAPARTS

GREAT WORK POSTING THE PICTURES FOR ME!!!! Try to over look the cheesy nuts I used.

BEAPARTS

OK guys, we discussed the possibility of reproducing these bezels several months ago and we through out numbers around $1,000, after all the costing we have a good market cost now.  Would you spend $1,200 for new bezels, cans, lens and reverse lens?  Complete and ready to install. The reverse lense will be done very very soon.

BEAPARTS

Gee guys, I thought for sure I'd get some kind of reaction to the photos, weather good or bad.

Troy

It's been 59 minutes - have a little patience! ;)

Did you have these at the Nationals? I completely missed your booth this year.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Lurker

they look awsome, i haven't checked to see what kind of shape mine were in before i shelfed them but i will prolly be in the market for new ones if the rest of the parts off the car are any indication lol. i have no idea about the price but if they are complete and ready to install there will be a good market for them i bet.
1968 xp29 charger thats now rust free.. and trunk free and floorboard and quarterpanel free.
1972 b5/b5 318 barracuda patently waiting its turn.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663667

BEAPARTS

Yea Troy, I had this one there.  Sorry about all the posts, I'm a tourist.

aone415

They look great but a grand is too rich for my blood

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

SnoPro440

I like them and they look great but $1200 seems a little steep. 
2008 Viper SRT-10
1968 Charger R/T
2019 Rubicon JLU

68Charger4me

I think they look freakin awesome !   :2thumbs:  Nice looking chrome can make or break a car, as I said before, i for one am tired of having crappy looking chrome.  It also saves me the problem finding a decent re chroming place, shipping it too them, they have to repair it to make it look decent, then waiting ( and hoping UPS doesn't lose or destroy it) for it too come back.  I think it would probably work out to be the same price in the end.   :Twocents:

69_500

If you think about it, finding a good example, then having it rechromed, and then all the shipping and such that is involved, I think that the price of $1,200 is a fair price. Saves a lot of headaches, and searching. However there are some people who like that searching stuff too.

68Charger4me

Quote from: 69_500 on August 15, 2007, 04:21:23 PM
If you think about it, finding a good example, then having it rechromed, and then all the shipping and such that is involved, I think that the price of $1,200 is a fair price. Saves a lot of headaches, and searching. However there are some people who like that searching stuff too.

Amen brother, not to mention that if you do find a good pair , your gonna pay out the rearend anyway.  I've seen NOS ones going for 2500 bucks out at carlisle a few years ago. :eyes:

Troy

I had checked into rechroming my originals and the quote was near $1,000 with no guarantee that they would look right (rechroming generally softens the character lines). I paid $300 for a "good driver quality" set two years ago just so I'd have something decent to put on the car. The lenses could use polishing and if I do have them rechromed they won't charge me to fix any pitting (most places won't even repair pot metal any more). Otherwise junk assemblies with decent lenses were going for over $100 just last year. That $1,200 is for the whole shebang - four bezels, six lenses, gaskets, and housings so if you add up the costs to completely and correctly restore a set I'd say they are comparable. Now, I just need to see them in person and maybe trial fit them.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

BEAPARTS

Well put Troy, the other thing people need to understand is there is a licensing fee I pay to MOPAR for every one sold to use all the numbers and PENTA star. I've been paying royalties right along for the red lenses and will have to add the back-up lense and the main bezel to me licensing agreement I have with MOPAR.

bull

They look great, and I can appreciate the cost of what goes into restoring an original set but why does it always seem like reproduction stuff has to cost almost exactly as much as restoring the original stuff? Just once I'd like to actually save a few hundred bucks on a repro part over the cost of restoring a part. Seems like it's always a wash. :shruggy:

I say group buy discount, $800 per set. :yesnod:

OttawaCharger

It's nice but its not correct - at least not for my 68.  It's missing the guards for the backup light's pigtail!
see:

1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

BEAPARTS

Don't get jambed up about the reverse light guards, they are on the production bezels.

NYCMille

Ya' know... $1200.00 is steep price for taillights, I don't know, I'd have to REALLY need those lights to pay that much... although I have to say they do awesome and its obvious you guys do beautiful work.

68Charger4me

In my case, it's a need,and a want.  I've had my '68 20 years now, I want nice chrome for once.  I've looked for years trying to find good ones at a decent price, I'm just not willing to pay 3 to 4 hundred dollars on half ass used ones.   :Twocents:

bullit68

the lights look awesome!i think the price is inline considering what it costs to find then redo originals.

68Charger4me

I think of it like this, we invest our time and money into the engine, body and paint, then we want to skimp and " just get buy" with the chrome. :eyes:

OttawaCharger

Quote from: BEAPARTS on August 16, 2007, 06:59:07 AM
Don't get jambed up about the reverse light guards, they are on the production bezels.
Ah!..  very well, carry on then.  :leaving:
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

gordo1968charger

68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Corellian Corvette

What is the cost for just the bezels?

What are you doing about gaskets, since nobody makes good gaskets?

BEAPARTS

Corellian Corvette

Gaskets? Do those come with the Bezels?

68flame

I checked these out at the nats looked real nice as they should for the price. I felt the black paint on them had room for improvement  looked like it had dirt in it may by even a run but hey these may have been proto types or something  :shruggy: I got to say these are like number 100 on my list of thing I would drop 1,200 dollars on followed by things like aluminum heads, tti headers, dana rearend, or how about a nice driver dodge dart? I am by no means say they are not worth the money I am sure thay are for someone just not me  :-\

BEAPARTS

Your right, that was a proto type that we chromed and painted as fast as we could to make it to the Nats.  Like I said, the production pieces will have the reverse lens protective fingers on it.