News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help with pouring an Exposed Aggregate Concrete slab.

Started by PocketThunder, August 13, 2007, 10:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PocketThunder

Has anyone here poured an exposed aggregate concrete slab?  I am going to make my first attempt at doing this tomorrow night at a friends house.  He doesn't know anything about concrete so he asked me to help out.  So I thought, why not practice at his house and not mine.  Anyways, I was reading on the internet about doing this but I wanted to get anyone's advice on here from someone that has done this before.  We are doing a 6' x 8' slab for him to set two chairs on and a little table.  So its not to big of and area and will be a good slab size to manage.  We are ordering the concrete with the aggregate already mixed in so I assume I just need to time it right and wash off the top layer of crème with a brush and the hose. 

Anyone here do this before?  :shruggy:

Paul
In St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Charger_Fan

Nope, can't say I know a single thing about that...but here's a bump for your thread. :icon_smile_tongue:
:bump:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Dans 68

Yep, do it for a living (all landscaping, that is). Normally we add the aggregate to the setting concrete slab, and embed it with a float. About 1/4 to 3/8" thick. Add some retarder (spray it on after the aggregate is embedded with a plastic gallon spray bottle) and hose it off the next day. That small a slab should be a piece of cake. As the aggregate is already mixed just spray the retarder after the final float,  trying to bring up as much aggregate/fines as possible. Email me is you wish any more hints or have a pointed question. Good luck!  :icon_smile_wink:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

ralley72

I have placed a few exposed aggregate concrete slabs in my day. Much easier to have your readimix company mix your aggregate for you in your load of concrete. You can broadcast your aggregate yourself and probably have a better selection to choose from. Use the retarder as stated above, be careful not to over apply, want about a 1/4" penetration. We cover our slabs with 6 mil poly, leave it covered a hour or so depending on outside temps. Spray off top, careful not to spray in one area to long, and adjust water pressure as needed to achieve your desired amount of exposed aggregate  If you do broadcast the aggregate yourself, be sure to get an even cover and bull float the rock in. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Mike

PS. If you are anywhere near power lines, use fiberglass handles on your floats.
1973 Roadrunner 400 mag. 4 sp

PocketThunder

Can i do it without the retarder?  if not i will pick up a gallon tomorrow morning. 

bull

ralley72

I tried it once without the retarder, big mistake. worked my butt off, washing with water, stiff street boom. worked,and worked. I just was able to sell to the owner. Without retarder its every hard to get the rock clean. Its sticks to the rock, uneven edges, just looks bad IMO. some area I didn't have any rock showing, other spots I all most brushed the rock away.  I wished I had a picture of each type with and without retarder.Do yourself a favor and get the retarded.

Good Luck!!!

Mike
1973 Roadrunner 400 mag. 4 sp

TK73

Quote from: PocketThunder on August 13, 2007, 07:34:44 PM
Can i do it without the retarder?

uhhh... you invited Silver to help you with the project??
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

PocketThunder

Quote from: ralley72 on August 13, 2007, 08:36:20 PM
I tried it once without the retarder, big mistake. worked my butt off, washing with water, stiff street boom. worked,and worked. I just was able to sell to the owner. Without retarder its every hard to get the rock clean. Its sticks to the rock, uneven edges, just looks bad IMO. some area I didn't have any rock showing, other spots I all most brushed the rock away.  I wished I had a picture of each type with and without retarder.Do yourself a favor and get the retarded.

Good Luck!!!

Mike

Will do then,  i'm stopping at Brock-White in the morning to get some sealer and i'll get some retarder while i'm there also.  I'll have pictures up tomorrow night or wednesday of how it turned out.

thanks!

PocketThunder

Pour went well today.  :yesnod:  I decided to not use retarder and just stay and sit with the concrete and hose it off when i felt it was ready.  It turned out pretty darn nice and i will have pictures for you tomorrow night.  :2thumbs:

Paul
in St. Paul