News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Forgotten 70 Charger RT/SE Dealer Demo Car - WIW (PICs)

Started by 70rtconv, August 12, 2007, 11:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70rtconv

I have been lurking in for a while and haven't really posted much.  Obviously, I am a big fan of Charger and otherwise wouldn't be here.  I purchased this 1970 Charger RT/SE about 6 or 7 years ago and haven't done much to it except for pulling the original matching number motor and had it rebuild.  It has been in storage all these time and the pictures I have here are taken recently.   

The car:

1970 Charger RT/SE with number matching 440 and I believe transmission (automatic) as well.  What make this car unique is that it is a dealer demo car and is fully loaded. 

- Power Window
- Power Disc Brake
- AC
- Rear Defrost
- AM/FM Radio
- 6 ways seat
- Hood Turn Signal Lamps
- Luggage Rack
- Front Bumper Guards
- Suregrip 3.23
- Tach
- Rimblow Blow Wheel (I wish it didn't as I like the sport wheel better)

According to the buildsheet and fender tags, which I have, it came originally with plum crazy purple, charcoal leather seats, white vinyl top and bumble stripe deleted.  It was ordered with the small stripe that goes from the quarter to the door scoops.

The car has been in CA all its life and I purchased from a guy who had owned since 1972.  The car does have some minor rust around the back window, lower quarters and trunk.  Other than that, a typical CA car that is very solid all around.  When I went to look at the car when it was advertised, I could not believe how original it was and the number of options that came with it.  The guy was asking $3500 for it and I actually talked him down a couple of hundred dollars.   

Here is interesting twist to the story.  When picking it the car, the previous owner asked me if I want to have the left-over original vinyl top that was pulled from the car.  I said sure and he came back with this piece of charcoal color gator grain top.  I asked them if he is sure that it is the original piece and he confirmed, at least the same top that was on it since 1972. 

Anyhow, I am not interested in selling this car.  I am, however, interested in what this thing is worth in current condition and when it is done.  Also, with regarding to the vinyl top, what would you do.  Put it back according to the buildsheet/Fender tag or put on the gator grain? 

Also, what do you think of the car?  Did I get a good deal?   :D

TripleBlackGator

Even without better pictures and the fact that you paid that amount 5 or 6 years ago I still feel you found a GREAT deal. Solid and matching numbers mean $$$ to most collectors. Kinda confusing though about the Gator top. Currently black or painted body color? Orignally white but a black Gator since 1972? Explain that. If your doing a restoration the white vinyl is a must! All in all nice score. When does the work begin?
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

Brock Samson

great deal great car  :shruggy: worth a min. of $35K off the cuff of course, more pics when poss. please..

hemi68charger

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 13, 2007, 09:18:29 AM
great deal great car  :shruggy: worth a min. of $35K off the cuff of course, more pics when poss. please..

I would agree with this.. it's a great car with great configurations/options.. Well worth the money and well worth a nice restoration. Personally, I would put the car back unless there was some dealership invoices/documentation stating that the vinyl top was changed.. Are you referring to the "pin-stripping" as the standard longitudinal stripes? These were standard on the '70 model year R/Ts, not the bubblebee stripe......  If it's a stripe delete, it should have V68 on the tag......

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

charge69

You did extremely well when you bought that car! I agree it is worth $35k as a ball-park figure now.
If you know how to decode a fender tag, the tag will tell you what color of vinyl top came on the car originally. I prefer a white top on that color of Charger but, if it came with a black one from the factory, I would have to think about it.
If you do not know what the numbers and letters mean on the fender tag, post a picture of it or list the numbers in sequence and someone will be glad to help you.

Very desireable Charger to restore!            Carl

41husk

A 70 RTSE, #s matching with all those options, I think you know the answer to your question.  At 3,000-3,400 even by 10 years ago prices you did verry well.  in 1982 i bought my 70 Challenger convertible, non #s matching 318 no AC or power roof.  I gave $2,000 and know I got a good price even for 25 years ago.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Spike

You could e-bay the original Gator Grain top and get a nice chunk of change for it.

Very nice Charger you have there  :2thumbs:

Dodge Don

472 R/T SE

I hope you guys think it's worth that after it's been restored?  :shruggy:

It's very similarly optioned as mine.

Since it's #'s matching I would restore it back to original.  Since you have the tag and sheet it's easy to tell what top it should have on it.
If you get a chance stop by the Registry. http://1970chargerregistry.com/70messageboard/index.php 

Charger_Fan

I like your garage, looks like a great toy stash!  :icon_smile_big:
I like the Charger too, congrats on such a killer score! :cheers:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Brock Samson

me thinks that's just a storage place...

if not we sure wanna see the others, hell we wanna see em anyhow...

..right fellas?..  :popcrn:

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 13, 2007, 05:51:58 PM
me thinks that's just a storage place...

if not we sure wanna see the others, hell we wanna see em anyhow...

..right fellas?..  :popcrn:
Of course! :yesnod: ;D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

The70RT

Nice deal. How many miles? By looking at your garage it looks like you have your hands full .........and then some. ;D
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

70rtconv

Thank you all for your comments.  That place is my friend's shop in his back yard.   It's very large and he is using one half of it for storing cars.  Here is another one of my forgotten treasure.  Didn't get a killer deal like the Charger, but a decent deal in today's standard.  It doesn't look like much of anything, but what I got here is a 71 Cuda 340 Shaker triple black car.

Brock Samson

Dodge Don

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on August 13, 2007, 04:25:11 PM
I hope you guys think it's worth that after it's been restored?  :shruggy:

If you get a chance stop by the Registry. http://1970chargerregistry.com/70messageboard/index.php 

True. Not worth $35k like that.

Quite a few dealer demos registered....the super rare gems are the public relations cars.

Restore that bad boy.

70rtconv

Any GTO fan?......67 GTO 4sp with match motor and trans. Tyrol blue (Leman blue for Chevy) with black vinyl top and bucket.

472 R/T SE

My parents had one of those, was my mom's rig.  4 speed 389 tri-power.

The70RT

70rtconv

Sold it long ago..It was a 70 Challenger RT convertible.

472 RT/SE - If I am not mistake, your mom's car is a 67 GTO.  I don't think the 66 came with the moldings on lower rockers/fenders/lower quarters.  Sweet car either way :2thumbs:

Charger_Fan

I see that Goat's still for sale, too! :scope: :lol: That shot looks killer, with it wearing it's big meats from days gone by. :drool5:

Although I've never owned one, I could easily be a Poncho fan. They made some really neat stuff through the years. :)

The70RT

I got a front clip for a 66 and never found one. That is how i got my Cutlass. I had a clip and got lucky and the owner needed one and couldn't find one. He gave up before I did and I got the car :D

Brock Samson

that first gto is a '66, '67s had a wire mesh grill...

i said $ 30 - 35 K on the '70 r/t not knowing exactly what condition it is in but with all those options number matching and plum crazy it's worth fixin four speed too eh?.. well take some more pics of that bad boy..

:popcrn:

70rtconv

Good eyes....my GTO is definitely a 67, but with a 66 front grille assy.  I got the correct grille surrounds and mesh grille for it.  Still looking for the 67 header panel and moldings.

Check out my friend's sweet supercharged Stude...he has owned since high school.

472 R/T SE

Quote from: 70rtconv on August 13, 2007, 07:06:44 PM
Any GTO fan?......67 GTO 4sp with match motor and trans. Tyrol blue (Leman blue for Chevy) with black vinyl top and bucket.

Quote from: 70rtconv on August 13, 2007, 07:39:54 PM

472 RT/SE - If I am not mistake, your mom's car is a 67 GTO.  I don't think the 66 came with the moldings on lower rockers/fenders/lower quarters.  Sweet car either way :2thumbs:

OK...what am I missing here.  ;)

edit, I see the above thread beat me.

70rtconv

My bad..I thought you said your Mom's car was a 66 GTO when you mentioned that it has a 389 Tripower.  67 GTO was the first year with the 400 standard and 389 tripower was dropped after 66.

472 R/T SE

Maybe I'm all wet.  I could have swore my dad said it had the 389 tri in it.  :shruggy:  I do know it had a 4 gear in it and could have swore he also said it had the tri power.  Maybe he swapped the drivetrain out, he was a wrench back then.  That's the used car dealership he was one at.