News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Drivetrain vibration - need expert advise on 727 car

Started by Lifsgrt, August 12, 2007, 11:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lifsgrt

I have a vibration in the drivetrain I and hope someone can help determine what is causing it.  1969 440, 727, and 8 3/4 rear.  Here's the problem- with either 4.86 or 3.23 gears, when engine is nearing max rpm  in high gear, a vibration begins and gets worse with rpm.  It feels like a shaft wobbling inside a bushing that's worn out (best way I can describe it).  Anyone dealt with this before?  Driveshaft is still balanced from the factory and is not bent as far as I know.  Tires are balanced.  Thanks for your help in advance.
Best time 11.07@121

Plumcrazy

I would check the driveshaft u-joint angles.  On a street car the driveshaft should angle down about 2-4 degrees at the front, while the driveshaft should angle upwards an equal amount at the rear.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

firefighter3931

The tailshaft bushing might be worn out. If there is play in the front yoke then you will experience vibration.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 13, 2007, 09:32:56 PM
The tailshaft bushing might be worn out. If there is play in the front yoke then you will experience vibration.

Ron

:iagree:   Im chasing a cyclic vibration that comes in at around 62 mph and smooths out over 70 mph or so.

Recently I changed my driveshaft slip yoke because I felt the play in that area was excessive.  The new yoke tightned up the play a bit but there still seems to be more than "what should be"   Im thinking the tailshaft bushing will be the next to be changed...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Lifsgrt

Thanks guys.  Tranny mount is polyurethane and new...u-joints are new also, but had same problem with old ones...pinion/u-joint angles are stock but I haven't measured...I was thinking tailshaft bushing as well, so I'll try that.  Thanks for the help. :2thumbs:
Best time 11.07@121

Charger-Bodie

i would try changing the tranny mount back to a stock rubber one cause them poly ones can multiply vibs.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

RallyeMike

Quotei would try changing the tranny mount back to a stock rubber one cause them poly ones can multiply vibs.

All that's gonna do is hide the problem for awhile, not fix it.

The splines on the yoke/output shaft are designed to lock up under torque, and not ride on the bushing. The bushing normally doesnt do much work. I would focus on the the drivewshaft and angle. An angle finder is cheap. If the angles look good, take your driveshaft down and have the balance checked with the new U-joints in it.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

bull

This may sound dumb but make sure the tranny mounting bolts are good and tight.