News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

DOES THIS MAKE SENSE??-RUNNING HOT

Started by MR.MIKE, August 08, 2007, 10:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MR.MIKE

HI GUYS
MY 68 CHARGER 440 IS RUNNING HOT AND BOILING OUT OF DRAIN TUBE
AT FIRST MY TEMP GAUGE WAS NOT WORKING, SO I PUT IN A NEW COOLANT SENDING UNIT
THE GAUGE WORKS NOW...BUT IT READS WAY HOT AT IDLE 230*
I PUT A NEW WATER PUMP,RADIATOR REDONE,THERMOSTAT, RADIATOR CAP
AND STILL SPILLS OUT.. I THOUGHT MAYBE HEAD GASKET ? BUT MY OIL IS CLEAN NO WATER ,NO FOAMING ETC. MY TROUBLE STARTED WITH A NEW SENDING UNIT. WOULD THAT CAUSE THE CAR TO SPILL IT'S GUTS ??? LEMME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK  :shruggy:

Ghoste

The sending unit wouldn't cause it.  Have you had the cooling system flushed?

MR.MIKE

i flushed it out with water when doing the water pump
all hoses were replaced as well. the anti-freeze was clean no mud color or anything like that
the only other thing was the carb was adjusted (holley) i am thinking maybe too lean
i have good oil pressure as well...thanks...mike

firefighter3931

Mike,

If the timing is too far retarded then the engine will run hot. Lean jetting will also cause overheating. You could also have a defective thermostat that isn't opening up or a big air pocket in the cooling system that needs to be bled out.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

aifilaw

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 08, 2007, 12:17:34 PM
Mike,

If the timing is too far retarded then the engine will run hot. Lean jetting will also cause overheating. You could also have a defective thermostat that isn't opening up or a big air pocket in the cooling system that needs to be bled out.

Ron

I was about to mention the lean condition, timing and a defective thermo as well... so I guess   :iagree:   

Also, the caps lock key is just below the "tab" and above "shift" you can use the "shift" key to capitalize the letters at the beginning of sentences, or proper nouns. :)
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

MR.MIKE

I am  leaning towards the carb and timing, thermostat is new as well
thanks for your input

p.s aifilaw
thanks for the typing tip

Ghoste

Not to mention ambient outside temps.   ;)   You aren't in one of those locales getting the triple digit temperatures right now are you?

ITSA426

I had a 383 do this to me.  Idle ignition timing was way too advanced so you can check that.  It healed when I retarded it back to book specs.  The heat riser in the right exhaust manifold can cause that if it's still there and stuck closed.

John_Kunkel

What size radiator? Fan? Fan drive? Shroud?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

T16

If the timing is too far retarded then the engine will run hot.

Quote from: ITSA426 on August 08, 2007, 04:30:44 PM
I had a 383 do this to me.  Idle ignition timing was way too advanced so you can check that.

So both will cause engine run hot  :scratchchin:

MR.MIKE

yes the car has a fan shroud, 26in. radiator, stock fan
the trouble started at the time of coolant sensor change
and carb adjusted. before that it didnt boil over

aifilaw

Quote from: T16 on August 08, 2007, 05:57:33 PM

If the timing is too far retarded then the engine will run hot.

Quote from: ITSA426 on August 08, 2007, 04:30:44 PM
I had a 383 do this to me.  Idle ignition timing was way too advanced so you can check that.

So both will cause engine run hot  :scratchchin:

typically retarded timing will make an engine run hot...
too far advanced will as well, but only due to knocking and wasted power at idle, if its that bad, I'd be more worried about the piston, ring, and valve damage than I would about overheating.

rt green

third string oil changer

charger Downunder

Check that the  bottom radiator hose has a spring inside to stop it from colapsing.
[/quote]

resq302

I just posted a new topic about something similar that my 383 is doing.  Hopefully we can get this fixed as I am worried that I am going to cook my engine.  Mine is not boiling over though.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

idahogrumpy

Check the fan clutch if it has one. When the car is warm (hot) hold a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator, the suction from the fan should suck the cardboard up against the radiator. If it does not or feels kind of weak replace the fan clutch.    Grumpy
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

MR.MIKE

OK- BLED OUT COOLANT SYSTEM, A LITTLE AIR IN IT
BUT....STILL SPILLING OUT THE TUBE AND 230* HOT
I HAVE TO CHECK TIMING...OF COURSE MY GUN DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE :eek2:
WHAT SHOULD IT BE SET AT ?? SOME PEOPLE SAY TO FAR BACK OR TO FAR AHEAD WOULD CAUSE THIS PROBLEM
SHOULD I PUT A FLEX FAN AS WELL ?
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR INPUT ON THIS GUYS :cheers:
MIKE

oldkimmer

Flex fans are junk..........throw away your 160 or 180 t stat and put in a 195, it will keep the coolant in the rad longer helping cool things down............kim...........
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aifilaw

clutch fan is what you want, thermostat size is dependant on where you live, and what size radiator/engine you have really. Too high is as bad as too low.

MR.MIKE

MY neighbors father a retired "ford" mechanic  gave me a bottle of "water wetter"
it kept my car from puking  it actually  kept the car 5* less -now 225*(car was going over 230*)
which i still think is hot- what are your thoughts on this stuff :shruggy:

aifilaw

water wetter is great stuff... but if you need it to stay in a realistic temperature range.. you need to fix the original problem.

MR.MIKE

Yes aifilaw...I agree :2thumbs:
thanks for the input

NHCharger

Quote from: MR.MIKE on August 08, 2007, 07:25:24 PM
the trouble started at the time of coolant sensor change
and carb adjusted. before that it didnt boil over

As Ron mentioned above, lean jetting will cause this, and your stating the problem didn't start until after your carb was adjusted.
Oldkimmer's right, flex fans are junk. Been there, tried one.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

MR.MIKE