News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where can I find a rat rod project

Started by 70charger_boy, August 12, 2007, 10:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charger_boy

I'm almost done with my charger and I'm looking for another project.  I really want a 30's rat rod.  I've searched ebay and the internet and can't seem to find a project that I want.  Do any of you guys know where I can find one?  Is it unreal to find one for 3 grand?

Brock Samson

i think those types of rods usually start as basket cases,.. with alot of creativity added... lots of them here in calif. try lookin for websites from clubs and other misc cars on e-bay...  :scratchchin: but i think you need to have a vision...

here's a threrad i started before you joined with some cool rats in it... in Jan when they have the cow-palace show (used to be the grand national rodster show..) a couple local rat clubs display there and i'll be sure to take some pics...

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,19630.90.html

lets see some pics of your charger, i've never seen it...  :shruggy:

moparguy01

those cars are easiest found in farmers fields. I have a 1950 Dodge Wayfarer waiting for me to make into a rat rod. I always enjoy a good rat rod.

moparguy01

Quote from: terrible one on August 12, 2007, 12:44:07 PM
Here's some local to me:

'27 Ford-$11,000

'41 Chev project: make offer

Those arent rat rods TO.
These are rat rods

stuff like that. you had some pics of decent hot rods. but rat rods and hot rods are on two completely seperate sides of the spectrum.

moparguy01

just lettin ya know the difference TO. cause its HUGE

70charger_boy

Thanks for the reply guys.  Also, thanks for the link Brock this is what I'm looking for

I think I'm gonna go to California to try and find one.  The charger on my sig is mine, I'm waiting to put the magnum 500's on then will post pics.  I'm just going to keep it in primer for now.  My only goal was to get it running and get the interior looking semi decent. 

Oh, who is this guy :cheers:

Harlow

I heard on Barret Jackson that "Rat rod" meant a hot rod with a big block chevy (Rat motor)...before I heard that I thought it meant a car like those pictured above... :shruggy:

70charger_boy

Quote from: Harlow on August 12, 2007, 03:27:23 PM
I heard on Barret Jackson that "Rat rod" meant a hot rod with a big block chevy (Rat motor)...before I heard that I thought it meant a car like those pictured above... :shruggy:

The guys on Barrett Jackson are morons.  I believe that rat rods have the good ole flathead's, but I like all the pics posted so far

Drache

This one is for sale here in BC Canada;

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/bar/394965391.html

I always thought a Rat Rod was a hot rod made from a mixture of parts and made usually at home with allot of custom parts mixed in. Like a Ford truck with a chevy engine, dodge rear end, etc.  :shruggy:

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Khyron

Quote from: 70charger_boy on August 12, 2007, 03:35:35 PM

The guys on Barrett Jackson are morons.  I believe that rat rods have the good ole flathead's, but I like all the pics posted so far

yes and yes for the most part. A rat rod can have any engine it in. Basically it's a beat up car with no real restoration done to the body. a dirty motor and mainly built on swap meet and junk yard parts.

When the Charger is done I'll be building one myself. But it's a secrate on what I'm building it with ;)

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

moparguy01

rat rods are basically what people started building in the 40's and 50's. Buy the cheapest POS body you could find, and toss the biggest engine you could afford in it. and go race it.

Brock Samson

so what on earth possessed you to post about that superbird?..  :shruggy: and where did that pic come from?...

BTW it's monday,.. do you know where your superbird is?..  :smilielol:

70charger_boy

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 13, 2007, 08:22:53 PM
so what on earth possessed you to post about that superbird?..  :shruggy: and where did that pic come from?...

BTW it's monday,.. do you know where your superbird is?..  :smilielol:

Jerk.....  I swear to god it happened man.  I saw the ad and was like whoa that's a superbird.  I emailed the guy and he gave me directions to where the car was at.  I went, I saw and I went away with nothing.  I have a feeling that car was stolen, because the ad was on craigslist for 1 or 2 hours tops.

dads_69

Craigslist seams to have the best deals. SuperBirds for 2 grand, should be able to find a rat rod for under a grand for your next project.  :lol:
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Brock Samson

70charger_boy

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 13, 2007, 10:05:00 PM
Oh, cheer up bunkie, here's a present for ya'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVAAcXVSL5g    :smilielol:

:o :o.................. :o.................... :o........................ :o........................... :o :mrt:

PocketThunder

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 13, 2007, 10:05:00 PM
Oh, cheer up bunkie, here's a present for ya'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVAAcXVSL5g    :smilielol:

The link master has struck again.   :notworthy:

Here is a project i'm watching right now.   Only wish i had $2000 and this baby would follow me home from work today.  I drive right by this guy everyday. :yesnod:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3APIC&viewitem=&item=120148842551&rd=1

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

70charger_boy

PocketThunder

moparguy01

Rat rods arent meant to be BOUGHT. You have to build them otherwise you just got a done car. What fun is that?

Lee01

There a kiler deal up in Montreal! I would love tio grab this beauty, but got to pay for the 68 charger that i'm waiting for
Price 3500$ cnd!! :o
1930 Ford project
514 699 9334
Richard H
ad description
Front mustang 2 rear diff gm .bolt patern gm all steel car

Current ride:
2012 Boss 302 YB #0664
2018 WRX
2018 Crosstrek
2004 SRT-4
WTB 68-69 Charger

IowaCharger69

I have collected two or three (if i really get creative) rat rods worth of parts just driving around the countryside peering into fields and overgrown tree groves. I have found lots and lots of pick-ups and between me and a few friends we have put together drive trains for them both/all. I don't know how much fabrication experience you have but that's honestly the toughest part. Getting the pieces is easy.

Also I like to scan E-scam for possibilities and design ideas. www.traderonline.com has also been very useful. In the search criteria I just leave the make model blank, in the year range I do 1900 - 1945 and then the amount of money I want to spend and how far I am willing to drive. It should give you all sorts of good places to start!