News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 + Crower271HDP = poor vacuum..?

Started by T16, August 14, 2007, 04:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T16

I get a vacuum reading of 10-11 "hg and 8-9 "hg in gear.. is this normal/OK..?
Got a Holley SD and Carter TQ 800cfm.. engine std except cam

aifilaw

'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Purple440

How do you like that cam?  I'm in the market for one, and that looks like something that would work for me.

firefighter3931

That seems a little low. Where is the base timing set ? You could try advancing the timing to see if it makes more idle vacuum.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

T16

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 14, 2007, 08:37:18 PM
That seems a little low. Where is the base timing set ? You could try advancing the timing to see if it makes more idle vacuum.

Ron

I´ve set timing to around 15 degrees.. at idle and vac. advance plugged.

firefighter3931

Quote from: T16 on August 15, 2007, 06:27:14 AM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 14, 2007, 08:37:18 PM

Ron

I´ve set timing to around 15 degrees.. at idle and vac. advance plugged.

That's a good baseline for the timing.  :2thumbs:

Check for vacuum leaks, hoses etc....and make sure the carb base gasket is in good shape. Thermoquads are known for warpage on the plastic body.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

T16

Quote from: Purple440 on August 14, 2007, 05:59:31 PM
How do you like that cam?  I'm in the market for one, and that looks like something that would work for me.

Just got the cars together after 2 years.. soo havent really taken her out on a long ride yet. Beside that.. this is the first ever engine i´ve rebuilt/built.

But I´ve only heard good stuff about this cam.. Do a search on this forum : Crower HDP 271