News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Due to struggles of life, I am selling my Charger....... **UPDATE 8/15/07 Pg.2**

Started by TruckDriver, August 11, 2007, 05:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

The other day, was the first time I even saw my car since May or so. I looked at it, and thought I'd be better off giving it a new home, and taking the money to hopfully improve my sucking life right now. This will be the third Charger I had to sell now. The fact that my income sucks bad right because the asphalt business is unsteady making my income very unstable, cost of living going up, and my pay is not, (looking for a new job, no one is hiring) and reality of not being able to afford restoring my Charger because of general prices of collecter cars. The fact that I need to move by labor day because my current place is being torn down, and I can't get a place yet and don't know where I'm going to go, and a bunch of other stressful things going on in my life right now like my pickup and van needing serious repairs I can't afford, has made me loose intrest in it. In the past 4 years, I've spent $1,500. for the car, $1,500. to have it trucked here from Arizona, $1,700 just in car storage for 2 years alone for a car I can't even work on or enjoy. I have spent about $2,000 just on parts for the car (most still in my closets). I paid $200. for a rust free trunk floor that still is in Wyoming because the guy who said they would get it, and shipp it for me is going through his own deal. I can't afford the $200-300 it will cost to have it shipped truck freight here because there is no bus station near by them. Anyway, I right now doubt if I can even afford to register my son for school next week. Every doller I been making is going straight to bills. And even that isn't really covering my expences. Yes I'm venting, but for me, I just don't see any other option for me. My Third Gen. web site will be here as long as I am alive, so don't worry about that. I will be here too. I will always like these cars, I just lost any and all ambition in restoring them or any other car. And with my life the way it has been, and the way muscle car prices are going, it most likely will be the last muscle car I will ever own. I never in my life had a lot of money. The only thing I ever known is living pay check to pay check. Usually I am fine with that, but this year, ....................  :brickwall: :rotz:

It is listed in the "Cars For Sale" section.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

The70RT

Damn. I feel for ya. Sorry to hear that man. Hopefully everything will fall in you favor sooner or later.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dukeboy_318

Hey man, been down that road too, most people have,  Just keep your head high and it'll work itself out.  You may have to sell that charger now, but you;ll find a better one later on.  Hang in there.
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

mikesbbody

that really sucks, i know what your going through infact, im sure alot of us here can relate to what your saying i hope things will get better for you and that you DO own another charger sometime in the future.

Brock Samson

wow! i was shocked when i read you have to sell her..  :o
i'm selling my BSG too, so there are more folks then just you sacrificing...
:shruggy:

whitehatspecial

Sorry to hear your having to sell your car. I've almost done it several times in the past 15 years when the construction business I owned started to tank. Long story short, I'm out of the construction business now after 25 years.....tired of the ups and downs. I've got a job now with a great company and hopefully some security for the future, we manage bank properties.

I kept my cars through the tough times even though it was hard. I couldn't ever bring myself to do it no matter how desperate things got financially.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do, things have a way of working out for the better.

:2thumbs:
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

NHCharger

Pete, very sorry to see that happen. Been there, done that, once sold everything but the wife, kids, house and my construction tools in order to survive so I understand what your going through.
I thought you were moving south so you could go junkyarding with Twilt?
I hope everything works out for you.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

twilt

Quote from: NHCharger on August 11, 2007, 08:33:02 PM

I thought you were moving south so you could go junkyarding with Twilt?

I sure wish he would. I got some new info on a few Mopar hot spots yesterday.  I`m fired up and ready to go raid them.

TruckDriver

Thanks guys. There are a few reasons I can't move south right now. My girlfriend is one of them (her situation). And one thing that would bother me is the heat and humidity. I'm having a hard time dealing with it here in Wisconsin as it is :eek2: I listed so that if no one wants to give me what I'm asking, them I'll keep it. But if someone will give me what I want, they can have it. My girlfriend keeps telling me I'm crazy for wanting to sell it, and should keep it. I'm just tired of spending everything I make on bills, and still not having enough, and not being able to enjoy life anymore because of that. Nothing is free anymore including fun I guess :brickwall:
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Daytona R/T SE

Nacho-RT74

really sorry pete... sincerelly, and not for sell the charger like more the situation involved!!!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

69bronzeT5

Quote from: twilt on August 11, 2007, 08:50:56 PM
I`m fired up and ready to go raid them.

get pics ;D.  Sorry to hear that you might be selling her man, hope things get better and you can get her :2thumbs:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Silver R/T

thats sucks, maybe you could move to another state with more stable job market. I know Im making it in WA even though I'm not making top dollar but its enough to keep Charger and keep paying bills/mortgage
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

89MOPAR

Ugghh,  :'(

Is there a way you could minimize what you are paying to store the car ? 
   Maybe buy a good outdoor quality car cover for about $200-250 , and set up a spot with sand or something porous [ so water doesn't collect underneath] to park it on top of. 

I suppose if you have to move than that is an issue also.
At least you have the support of your girlfriend in trying to keep it!    Very hard to put a monetary value on that.
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

TruckDriver

Quote from: 89MOPAR on August 13, 2007, 04:20:37 AM
Is there a way you could minimize what you are paying to store the car ? 
   Maybe buy a good outdoor quality car cover for about $200-250 , and set up a spot with sand or something porous [ so water doesn't collect underneath] to park it on top of. 

I rent a trailer home (well, for 3 weeks yet til I have to move), so no chance that can happen. But as it is, I still have no clue where I'm going to live. 90% of all the places around here are more than I can afford for rent.
PETE

hemi68charger

Hope everything works out..... Life does have a way to throwing wrenches in the gears of progress....... Sounds like you have a nice girlfriend...

Keep the faith...

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

rudyjrusa

LORD we ask that this man find a new job and new place to live for the same amount of rent money this week.

TUFCAT

Man I've been there.......reminds me of the exact same mess I was in (forced to sell my '72 Rallye).  That car was just BAD luck for me  :RantExplode: :RantExplode: :RantExplode:

The70RT

I dragged my Charger around when I moved 7 times over the last 30 years. I never once considered selling it.  I finaly got a decent job 14 years ago and the ole lady landed a killer job about 8 years ago. We sold our old dump of an old house and got enough for a down payment and got into a decent house. Finnaly built a garage 5 years ago and I am just now getting the funds to restore it. I really hope it all comes together for ya man. Pray and hang in there. Maybe someday you will be able to score a nice car again. Right now the economy is the worst I have seen it IMHO. Less pay and everthings sky high.

Charger_Fan

Sorry you're being pushed up against a wall, Pete. :'(
Lately, I feel fairly fortunate that life's finally flowing sorta smoothly for me. It wasn't always that way. I ended up selling two Ford Hi-boys, a 78 Bronco, a motorcycle & a few other things that weren't nailed down to keep the wolves away from me & my family...a year later, out of desparation, I did a chapter 13. I would have sold my Charger three separate times during those years, if someone would have offered more than pennies on the dollar for what it was worth.
Nobody did, so I kept it...I'm glad I did. :)

I hope things look up for you soon! :cheers:

Oh & if you want to make the trek to Utah, you can stay rent free at my place for as long as you need...but you must supply your own beer & munchies. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

The70RT

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on August 13, 2007, 07:46:13 PM
Sorry you're being pushed up against a wall, Pete. :'(
Lately, I feel fairly fortunate that life's finally flowing sorta smoothly for me. It wasn't always that way. I ended up selling two Ford Hi-boys, a 78 Bronco, a motorcycle & a few other things that weren't nailed down to keep the wolves away from me & my family...a year later, out of desparation, I did a chapter 13. I would have sold my Charger three separate times during those years, if someone would have offered more than pennies on the dollar for what it was worth.
Nobody did, so I kept it...I'm glad I did. :)

I hope things look up for you soon! :cheers:

Your too cooool :2thumbs:

Oh & if you want to make the trek to Utah, you can stay rent free at my place for as long as you need...but you must supply your own beer & munchies. :icon_smile_big:

TruckDriver

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 13, 2007, 05:56:44 AM
Sounds like you have a nice girlfriend...

Troy

Well, I'm not even sure of that right now. I think I said something to make her mad at me a bit ago as she hung up on me and hasn't called me back. And to make this worse now, About 4 days ago, this current place I'm in is having electrical problems as where the power in the living room and kitchen keeps shutting off, and back on.... and back off, a hour later back on. It is not the fuses or breakers. To me, it seems like a short somewhere. The owner isn't going to fix it as this trailer is going to be demolished. So, now I have the fridge and microwave plugged into extension cord from the bedrooms just so they won't shut down. AND, this morning at work, I learned that one of our drivers, and a acquaintance of mine for 5 years now blew his head off in front of his girlfriend Saturday night right after he left another one of my friend's house :'( I am not sure myself as to how much more of all this I can take now either. My life is litterally falling apart around me. I feel like exploding right now :icon_smile_dissapprove:
PETE

mikesbbody

you have hit rock bottom at the moment, but the only way is up now  :2thumbs: things will get better for you keep the faith and who knows, maybe you wont have to sell your charger after all

69DodgeCharger

This may be hurtful to your pride as a father and self sufficient individual but I would strongly suggest going to whatever family assistance agency you have in your state and seeing if they can help you with housing. Remember you're not "going on welfare" you are just getting a hand to help pull you out of the muck until you get your feet back on dry land. This won't last forever, but it might last longer than you think. There is a strong possibility it could get worse before it gets better but you have to believe that your hard work will help it get better. But on the other hand you can't wait for it to "come around" Tomorrow when you wake up begin your "attack" plan on this problem. When things get really rough  many times you only have yourself to fall back on. If you have friends and family that can help this is the time to use those assets. You might have to get a second job and make some really hard decisions to get through this all, but if you just "hope" for the best I worry about your outcome. Not trying to be critical....Just reflecting on some past mistakes I made involving avoidance and inaction....Good Luck and don't be afraid to reach out to us strangers even... if you have to.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

hemi-hampton

TruckDriver

Well, at least my girlfriend called me back later on. So, least that is a good thing right now.
PETE

CDN72SE

Very sorry to hear about your situation, I've been dragging my Charger around since 1992 (when I last drove it), been on my parents driveway for years, been in outside storage, in a neighbours garage etc.  Though my situation was has never been as desperate as your, I've looked at my '72SE and thought it might just be better to sell it.  I was lucky in a sense that I had horded a lot of parts over the years and sold those to keep things a float.  I have vowed I would never sell mine but when a child's welfare is a stake or you are trying to simply survive, you gotta do what you gotta do.  When life is back in order you will find a replacement.  Hang in there and take things step-by-step.
1972 Charger SE

PocketThunder

Can you sell the truck or the mini-van first?  Or do you need them both?

Do you have to stay an asphalt truck driver or is there something else you like to do?  You could get your bartenders license, there is no shortage of bars in Wisconsin and there is no shortage of people that like to drink beer. :cheers:

What about being a heavy equipment operator for a construction company?  Or a crane operator.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

The70RT

Get a small loan and hit an auction and sell stuff on eBay. That has kept me afloat for years and funded lots of projects.. I think most anyone could quit their job and just do eBay.  :Twocents: There just isn't any benifits or a retirement fund.

TruckDriver

Quote from: PocketThunder on August 14, 2007, 12:36:37 PM
Can you sell the truck or the mini-van first?  Or do you need them both?

Do you have to stay an asphalt truck driver or is there something else you like to do?  You could get your bartenders license, there is no shortage of bars in Wisconsin and there is no shortage of people that like to drink beer. :cheers:

What about being a heavy equipment operator for a construction company?  Or a crane operator.

The mini van is not worth anything. Least not more than $300. And I use both of my vehicles for different things at different times. Plus I like having a spare if one breaks down or needs work. My Dakota is the primary driver. As far as a job, I prefer to stay in dump trucks, or something local or in the state. I used to be a bouncer in my early 20s. I said that I'd never work in a bar again after that.  And now that I don't drink anymore, I don't even like to be near people when they are drunk. I get irritated quick. I always gave being a heavy equipment operator a thought because I have run a lot of them already here and there, but I would go nuts being in the same spot all day on the same job. I like to move around. I go crazy even when stockpiling in a gravel pit in the dump truck. The money is good though.

Quote from: The70RT on August 14, 2007, 06:27:02 PM
Get a small loan and hit an auction and sell stuff on eBay.

After my divorce, I had to file bankruptsy because of all the bills my ex made for me. I tried that.......... It ain't happening. :P

Anyway, I was with my girlfriend tonight, and after a good talk, I might not end up selling the Charger now. I will know for sure at the end of the week. Either way, it won't help my other issues right now.
PETE

Really?

It's a shame when you have to make that choice, but if you feel you are at the bottom now you'll come back up. Quite honestly, if you can sell it and save up some cash you may be in a great spot. Look at the financial news- Countrywide Mortgage is facing record late payments, deliquencies, and foreclosures. California has 10 cities in the top foreclosure spots. Economists are worried that this will just kill the markets, credit is going to get hard, and that there is a monry 'squeeze' going on (actually, the Fed is saying that and trying to avoid saying its a 'crunch'). The darkest predictions say that some areas will see a 50% reduction in housing prices. If that last statement even becomes a near reality, it is going to become a buyers market on TOYS! Muscle cars, boats, vacation homes, all the non-essentials will be flooding the market... :2thumbs: I don't look at it as profitting from misfortune (this is not Hurricane Katarina and you aren't running down to Louisiana w/ a tanker full of $10 a gallon gasoline), it is more like profitting from stupidity/failure to plan. You could even say you're being helpful because atleast the folks will have some cash.

TruckDriver

UPDATE ON THE CHARGER

Because of my girlfriend, and one of my co-working friends, the Charger will NOT be sold. My girlfriend and my friend Ted, talked me into keeping it. And finding and winning a good '72 rear sway bar on Ebay that our mod Chris was selling, and the fact that my friend Ted is going to take my Charger to his house, and is volentering to work on it to get it running and driving by next spring, made up my mind. All I have to do is buy the needed items and buy the beer. Ted says the car will be safe to drive where ever next spring. He said we can add some more horsepower to it too ;) So, needless to say, I'm stoked to get working on the car again even though it will be slow going. Least it will be steady progress.

As far as everything else, I am still dealing with it. But I guess, it could be worse. I thank all of you guys for your support. I guess maybe I panicked.
PETE

Ponch ®

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on August 15, 2007, 11:31:20 AM
UPDATE ON THE CHARGER

Because of my girlfriend, and one of my co-working friends, the Charger will NOT be sold. My girlfriend and my friend Ted, talked me into keeping it. And finding and winning a good '72 rear sway bar on Ebay that our mod Chris was selling, and the fact that my friend Ted is going to take my Charger to his house, and is volentering to work on it to get it running and driving by next spring, made up my mind. All I have to do is buy the needed items and buy the beer. Ted says the car will be safe to drive where ever next spring. He said we can add some more horsepower to it too ;) So, needless to say, I'm stoked to get working on the car again even though it will be slow going. Least it will be steady progress.

As far as everything else, I am still dealing with it. But I guess, it could be worse. I thank all of you guys for your support. I guess maybe I panicked.

GREAT NEWS! I always hate reading about one of our guys who has to part with his car for certain reasons...but I'm more happy to hear that the car is staying put!
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Lowprofile

Thats great news Pete!  :2thumbs:

Keep your chin up Bro, something will come thru.  :yesnod:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

red72chrgr

Alright!!!  :boogie: :boogie:  Glad to hear at least one thing worked in your favor.
Nothing personal, just business

Bob

ipstrategies

Great news keep the Charger, things will work out.  I spent a long time looking for my Charger I wanted a 71 383 Magnum (sure I love RT and Superbees and want at least a bulge hood, if not no biggie) but mine is an Se with Superbee driveline. I have been gathering extras an will sell them before the car. Keep the faith and things have a way of working out.

I am very happy you are not selling. You waited a long time to get it home from Arizona, glad you friends have stepped in to help.

Russ
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

Brock Samson

Charger1973

NHCharger

Pete, that's great news. Sounds like you have some great friends. Your G/F sounds like a keeper. :cheers:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on August 15, 2007, 11:31:20 AM
UPDATE ON THE CHARGER

Congratulations, Pete! Sometimes it really pays to take a step back and count to 10.  If you only knew how many times I was ready to grab the sawzall and cut all of my cars up into little bitty pieces  :hack:

mikesbbody

chargermick

That's great news. Maybe this will be the beginning of good things to come.

wjmopar

If you can't Dodge it,
RAM it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

68chrgrwife

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on August 15, 2007, 10:36:00 PM
Congratulations, Pete! Sometimes it really pays to take a step back and count to 10.  If you only knew how many times I was ready to grab the sawzall and cut all of my cars up into little bitty pieces  :hack:

if you ever do chop them up call me and let me know...I'll take parts...LOL
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

derailed

Great to see things made a come around for you Pete, sounds like some good friends you have there. Ever think about hauling gas and fuel oil? usually steady year round work.

89MOPAR

Excellent news.  You must keep that Girlfriend !!
The only thing I'd caution against now is dropping too much money on the Charger in the coming year.

Get what you NEED to get it running .  Not what you WANT to make it more Horsepower. I know there is lots of little tricks for 2 Hp here and 5 HP there, but what would be best is if it ran and drove safely.  Get it running ,get it safe, then make it fast.

But before all that - get some $$ in the bank.  Even if it is just one paychecks worth. 
I can tell you the difference I feel if i am strictly paycheck to paycheck , compared to when i get ahead of the game, with a  thousand $$ set aside... is truly night and day.   It is piece of mind.   :scratchchin:..... :icon_smile_cool:
  I am no-one to tell people not to hoard parts or buy "speed up" items . If i added up the amount I've spent "improving" cars over the years, I'm sure I would be staggered by the amount.
     ***  But a rear sway bar will not keep you warm and dry or fed + clothed.
   Your charger will get there. figure out how to lower your storage costs [ sounds like Ted is the hookup ] and you'll be able to get some "sanity money" set aside.
      It's safe , sane, and boring advice ----but it works.
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

TruckDriver

Quote from: derailed on August 17, 2007, 10:28:54 AM
Great to see things made a come around for you Pete, sounds like some good friends you have there. Ever think about hauling gas and fuel oil? usually steady year round work.

I have no intrest in getting my Hazmat endorsement or Tank endorsements. I'd love to pull a dump trailer or a grain trailer all year around. There is a company here that does that, but I heard several stories over the years to how they can be difficult to work for. Sucks as all they run are Peterbilts. And not everything has made a turn around. I now only have 2 weeks to move into a new place, and I still can't find one I can afford. Either that, or they turn me down because of my past bankruptcy due to my past marriage  ::)  I just looked at my check stub for the year, and right as of this week, I so far have made around $7,000 less this year than I did last year at this time. Oil prices are truly killing the asphalt industry. I am only getting about 40 hours a week average when most of my income is based on overtime. There really isn't much though this year :brickwall:  It also doesn't help that the place I work for is sliding behind in the pay scale area. A lot of places here are starting at around $4.00 a hour more then I make now. Although, I am more worried about being at a job where I happy then a job that pays real good, and I hate it. Been there, done that :P
PETE